lost 20 lb in < 40 days..u can too!

Options
Hey all!!!

My name is kirsten and i'm a 23 year old SINGLE mom who has been struggling since 2008 with my weight.

I am proud to say that I am down 20 pounds in a little under 40 days....and i feel GREAT about moving on to lose another 23 pounds to reach my 2nd goal.

I would love to help others like me reach their goals :-) it is so much more fun when you have people to hold you accountable!

ADD ME!!!

Happy Dieting....summer is almost here!!!

Replies

• KSoto2014
    KSoto2014 Posts: 22
    Options
    Wow good job!! Very inspirational. Good luck with the rest of your weight loss :)
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    so a pound every 2 days? sounds very unhealthy. how much of that was actually fatloss and not lean tissue?
  • B3autifulKirst3n
    Options
    actually, it is very healthy.....I am restricting my calorie intake to 1300 calories a day...and exercising my butt off...i also do a meal replacement shake for breakfast....i am actually getting an ample amount of calories, because my work outs usually consist of 300+ calories burned which really is me eating 1600 calories....i cut out all sugary drinks and stick with water....and i've been BUILDING muscle and only losing a couple percent of fat every week....so thanks for your ENCOURAGING words....sounds like you really know what your talking about! Have a great weekend :-)
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think it'd be impossible for me to do that but you do you, boo.
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    Amazing :wink: I'd be so happy with that!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you...

But I can't lose that much that fast unless I chop off a limb. Nor would I want to, as I had done that in the past eating as little as you are and exercising even more, but I crashed my metabolism, lost lean tissue, and felt crappy.

I enjoy eating more food and still losing body fat. I've regained my sanity.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you...

But I can't lose that much that fast unless I chop off a limb. Nor would I want to, as I had done that in the past eating as little as you are and exercising even more, but I crashed my metabolism, lost lean tissue, and felt crappy.

I enjoy eating more food and still losing body fat. I've regained my sanity.

Right....it's not really healthy to lose at that rate, even if you can.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    actually, it is very healthy.....I am restricting my calorie intake to 1300 calories a day...and exercising my butt off...i also do a meal replacement shake for breakfast....i am actually getting an ample amount of calories, because my work outs usually consist of 300+ calories burned which really is me eating 1600 calories....i cut out all sugary drinks and stick with water....and i've been BUILDING muscle and only losing a couple percent of fat every week....so thanks for your ENCOURAGING words....sounds like you really know what your talking about! Have a great weekend :-)

Personally, I would be a little worried if I lost that much that quickly......but I'm not you. I guess no harm done if you're eating enough and are feeling A-OK, but there are probably healthier ways of sustaining such a loss long term.
  • B3autifulKirst3n
    Options
    Well guys..when you are almost 100 pounds over your BMI and had a child to top it off....your body will lose mass amounts of weight because it isn't suppose to be there....do not get it twisted....i eat whatever it is that I want...i just dont gorge myself to death, and i'm deff not burning more calories then i'm eating....any time i burn the calories...i am eating them right back so its not like my body is being deprived of food...and the shake that I drink has enough nutrients in it for the whole entire day.....it may sound like a lot in a little amount of time...but i was actually suppose to lose 40 pounds in 34 days with the plan I am on...so i'm thinking i'm going at an OK rate....thanks for all of your concern....but i'm not starving....im GAINING muscle mass and losing fat...i am in no way losing muscle....everyone is different and will lose in different ways...eventually i will reach a plateau and will have to change things around a bit, but i'm kicking butt right now and i'm going to continue too.

i guess its ok for the people who get gastric bypass surgery and lose 65 pounds in 60 days though right?

People crack me up on their views on dieting....how about..."Great job" "good work" "way to go".....and we wonder why america is the fat nation now a days...iy yi yi
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well done! Keep up the good work!
  • Aprilcadabra
    Options
    GOOD. FOR. YOU!

Your body would have told you a while ago if you were doing something wrong. It would have spoken out loud and clear. If you feel well and healthy then you're on the right track.

Keep it up!
  • feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes well done , not many will agree with what you have done though , but i say well done and keep up the good work.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i guess its ok for the people who get gastric bypass surgery and lose 65 pounds in 60 days though right?

many of them who do aren't actually healthy doing it, they lose the weight quickly but many of them feel sick. They feel sick when they eat what would be a healthy normal amount of food for most people, they feel sick when they eat sugar, they show signs of malnutrition like hair loss and pale skin. and many of them eventually put it back on because that is just what happens when it comes off fast.
    im GAINING muscle mass and losing fat

Unless you are taking steroids or testosterone, eating at a surplus, AND working your *kitten* off heavy lifting women do not gain significant muscle mass.
    People crack me up on their views on dieting....how about..."Great job" "good work" "way to go".....and we wonder why america is the fat nation now a days

the reason they don't give you a high 5 is because they know that most people who lose weight very quickly don't keep it off for long.

Having said that, at your age, depending on your starting weight, I don't see this initial weight loss as unreasonable. You say you have over 100 lbs to lose? I started at 300 pounds and I dropped 18 the first month, and I think 15 the next... so, even more than you. I didn't go into starvation mode, however, as expected, it did slow down after that to 2.5lbs a week for several months, and now that I am down to just over 200lbs it has slowed down a little more to 1-1.5 a week.

I see your loss as fast yes, but I don't think you quite qualify for the OMG YOU NEED TO EAT MORE lecture. However, I would prepare for things to slow down a bit now as is natural to happen after the first few weeks.

Just do yourself a favor.. reevaluate every once in a while. if you find yourself lacking energy remember that its better to slow down (eat more) and keep moving forward, than to try to sprint to your goal and end up falling on your face.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The human body can only metablize 32 cals from each lb of fat in 24 hours.
    Your losing 1750 cals in 24 hour so you would need at least 54lbs of fat ... thats doable.

But to get a 1750 defict on 1300 + 300 exercise cals you need a to be burning over 3500 cals a day
    Thats around 1900 ish Daily needs (guessing weight is around 200 lbs) then another 1600 from exercise.
    For me thats around 3-4 hours of hard cycling.
    Bearing in mind you would need to break that up else you would bonk.. 1.5 hours in morning of HARD cardio and 1.5 hours in the evening of Hard cardio.

Thats tough!

Weekend rides i do can cause me to have big deficits (2000 cals) This wastes me for 24 hours. I really cant move.

tell us more about your exercise?
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think it's great and it is apparent by what you write you did your research, you know you cannot starve but must nourish and you are not doing it by starving yourself. You did your homework.

Don't mind the board - for the most part people are really great here and supportive. There are threads I have seen where when people lose alot in a little amt of time, I think it upsets people b/c they haven't or their bodies lose slowly as is the case with alot of us :( But everyone is different and you'll find the encouraging cheerleaders here quite readily.

I eat whole food plant based for over 2 months now and love it. Would love to know more reg what you are eating, your exercise, how your days lay out, etc. I am all for fast but healthy and knowledgeable weight loss!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Great work so far!

However, while in a calorie deficit you will either be maintaining muscle mass or losing it.. not gaining muscle. You need a calorie surplus and HEAVY lifting to gain any real amount of muscle. Too high of a deficit results in muscle loss, not gain. While 20lbs in 40 days is a great amount I would bet a decent chunk of it is water and some muscle along with some fat but it's not 20lbs worth of fat loss. I'm not sure how you are monitoring your body fat % however those at home scales and the scales at the gym are not the most accurate results around. When you either drastrically change your lifestyle and eating habits or have a lot to lose you will lose a lot at first. But, unfortuately you won't be gaining any muscle. You will most likely be seeing more muscle now that you are losing the layer of fat over the muscle.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What you say is true - about losing weight fast when you have a lot to lose, especially when combined with exercise. We see it when we watch The Biggest Loser (TBL).

Congratulations - you're doing great. Wish it would continue at that rate - but just like on TBL it will slow down as you go along.

But again, congratulations. :flowerforyou: :smokin:
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What you say is true - about losing weight fast when you have a lot to lose, especially when combined with exercise. We see it when we watch The Biggest Loser (TBL).

Just keep in mind the stuff TBL people go through. Incredibly low calorie intake... exercising hard for hours upon hours a day... dehdyration before weigh ins to increase their losses... weeks being up to 14 days.. etc. A previous contenstant on the show recently did an article on what actually happens on the show. Definately makes me see it in a different way now. I still love to see the transformations even though they aren't done in the best way possible.
  • supermuslimgirl
    supermuslimgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 in 40 also and I know you work hard at in talking about the bigest loosed I actually am doing the 30 day shread with jillian micheals. good for you!

49481922.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    A. Zombies

B. You, miss necromancer, are taking in around 600-1000 calories a day at best. So. I'm not sure that should be held up as an example of healthy weight loss.

C. But hey. Do you Boo.