Question about Exercising after No Sleep/Insomnia

Options
I have a major problem with insomnia. Some weeks it's only 1 or 2 nights that I sleep literally ZERO minutes per night. But some weeks it's every other night. Almost like I'm on a 48 hour sleep cycle instead of a 24 hour sleep cycle.

If anyone else has this problem, you know how crappy it makes you feel the next day, and that sick feeling you get in your stomach when the sun starts coming up and you have to get ready for work soon, on no sleep.

Does anyone know if it's still healthy or a good idea to exercise on those days? Most days like that, I'm grouchy, exhausted, and somewhat depressed....and exercise is the last thing I want to do. I'd rather just catnap on breaks, go sleep in my car at lunch, etc.

Should I try to make myself run or lift weights after all-nighters? Has anybody tried this?

Replies

• lisanhorowitz
    lisanhorowitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Same type of problem here the past 2 nights I average about 3 hours of sleep a night. I think it has to do with me cutting calories though as opposed to exercise. The thing is I dont feel tired the next day. I asked my aunt who is a nurse. She said to drink warm milk and take a hot bath. I don'tknow if that will help, but I'm open to trying.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert in any case but I would suggest you try thinks like the warm milk and other 'calming' things before bed and maybe also talk to a doctor/nurse.

When it comes to exercising I wouldn't do heavy lifting especially not when your feeling tired anyway... Maybe rather go for a walk these days....

But I'm sure there are others on here that have more informed opinions on this...
  • penguinlibrarian
    penguinlibrarian Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The thought of 'warm milk' makes me want to ralph, but since both of you have mentioned it maybe I should make myself try it. :-D

I've had the sleeping issue for a couple of years. It sucks. I get so jealous of my husband, who falls asleep within a few seconds of laying down!
    I got the doctor to give me on 1 week's worth of Ambien right before my wedding, but no joke even that did not work. I went through my wedding day on zero. minutes. sleep. Ugh. Would have enjoyed it alot more if I'd been happily well rested.

I don't want to take Ambien or any prescription Rx regularly though.
  • Xianpu27
    Xianpu27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you can't drift off at night? I ask because just recently I had massive issues with falling asleep... I'd lie awake for hours and maybe get 10-15 mins before having to get up for work the next morning. I was going through a lot of stress at work and that meant I was lying awake (especially on week nights) worrying and stressing and not being able to clear my mind.

Drinking camomile herbal tea helped me a little, as did this technique http://tiredallthetimehelp.com/755/fallasleepquickly/ . My problem was more to do with my anxiety than anything else, so I'm now taking Fluoxetine for it and am happy to report I'm falling asleep a lot easier now... wish I didn't have to take medication though :(

To answer your original question - I'm not sure if it's healthy to exercise on little or no sleep, but it's not something I would personally do. When I'm that tired I am more prone to being clumsy and even the lightest exercise exhausts me...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Some of my best workouts have been when I have found I couldn't get to sleep after staying up too late, and hit the gym instead.
  • penguinlibrarian
    Options
    @Beach Body Dan. I don't know the reason. I don't drink caffiene late at night or in the afternoon or anything. I just feel like my brain is on turbo mode, like I have 50 little TV screens with different thoughts, worries, & ideas that I can't seem to shut off.

I've tried melatonin, diphenadrine and doxymaline (the over the counter sleep aids)...I've tried wine...I've tried both together, which I know is stupid but some nights I'm just desperate to sleep!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    This may or may not help.

I discovered I sleep better when I get daily exercise. Even if it's just going for a brisk 45 min walk a few hours before bed time. It helps clear my head, and helps me relax, so I sleep better.

I hope you find the solution.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    @Beach Body Dan. I don't know the reason. I don't drink caffiene late at night or in the afternoon or anything. I just feel like my brain is on turbo mode, like I have 50 little TV screens with different thoughts, worries, & ideas that I can't seem to shut off.

I've tried melatonin, diphenadrine and doxymaline (the over the counter sleep aids)...I've tried wine...I've tried both together, which I know is stupid but some nights I'm just desperate to sleep!

Have you tried a note keeping app or a tablet and pen/pencil at your bed side? With the busy mind writing down ideas, concerns, things you want to check on tomorrow, etc may help you get past them and get to sleep. Also I find that weight lifting is highly ineffective when not resting so perhaps if you get into the pattern of doing your lifting on the days that you are rested then use the insomniac days as your "rest" day from lifting it might be ok. I also would recommend lighter activities on the unrested days.
    -Completely unprofessional advice, just what I've found through my own experiences and trials with sleep issues. :)
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough I have a similar problem. When I am stressed I tend to average 3-4 hours sleep a night and then once a fortnight I crash for 12 hours. Apparently if I am really stressed I even manage to sleepwalk and talk in those 3-4 hours. I havent ever found a cure for it apart from to just let it happen. I've been like that for about 8 years.

Warm milk, bananas, prescription drugs, herbal remedies, alcohol... none of it works. All I can say is that I guess that's the way life is for some of us and the more worried we get about it, the worse it gets.
  • delekium
    delekium Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to exercise if i haven't slept. but have you tried swimming? swimming helps me relax and often makes me sleep better.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely exercise on those days if you can. It will help balance your hormones.

As far as sleeping aides. I would stay away from any prescription or OTC sleeping pills.

Avoid caffeine during the day, even in the morning if you can.
    Avoid eating late in the evening.
    Stay off the computer before you go to bed.
    If you don't fall asleep within 30 minutes get out of bed and do something (repeat until you fall asleep).
  • 16sezzy
    16sezzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to do more cardiovascular exercise on days you can't sleep, it should help relieve some stress and tier your body. I find that helps for me
  • Viola47
    Viola47 Posts: 121
    Options
    I've had the same problem at some points in my life, and I find that for me it's directly related to stress. When it's happened, exercising regularly actually didn't help me sleep at all (I almost think it made it worse), nor did melatonin or anything like that, but everyone's different.

As for exercising when you're that tired... generally, it's suggested you get enough sleep before exercising, but if you do this regularly, you can always start with a 30 minute workout and see how you feel. If I don't get enough sleep, I also HATE the idea of working out. Occasionally, my sleep-deprived workout is AWESOME. Most of the time, I have a crappy workout that I have to push myself through the whole time. However, I've never regretted a workout, no matter how crappy I felt, and afterwards I'm usually happier for it.

Good luck. :)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    To answer your question: hell no, i don't work out on those days. what i DO do is get out in the sun early in the day and maybe have a gentle (GENTLE) stroll for a bit.

I've had insomnia all my life, but not as bad as you :( Sounds like at this point you should see a psychologist, honestly.

One thing, though: if you're lying there tossing and turning for more than 30 minutes, get out of bed and do something boring until you tire out. Don't stay there to suffer, and deepen the association between sleeplessness and your bed.

When you have intrusive thoughts, write them down in a notebook (physically, with your hand). Just that can help tire you out.

Turn all the lights and computer off after 10pm, and keep your room cool. Make a ritual before falling asleep (washing your face, etc).

I would stay away from hypnotics: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000850.full

also lol i haven't read or heard the word 'ralph' in a million years, that was great
  • penguinlibrarian
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I've done a little better lately with sleeping - yay!! - though I don't know what's caused the positive change.

I didn't always have caffiene late in the day, but sometimes I did. I've quit having any caffiene after 12pm noon, so maybe that's helping.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am like that but mine is from flipping sleep around and trying to sleep during the day from 3rd shift. If I don't get good sleep or insomnia that day working out is last thing on my mind also and I either skip it all together or do something light like yoga.
  • jonathanmhobson
    jonathanmhobson Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely exercise on those days if you can. It will help balance your hormones.

As far as sleeping aides. I would stay away from any prescription or OTC sleeping pills.

Avoid caffeine during the day, even in the morning if you can.
    Stay off the computer before you go to bed.
    If you don't fall asleep within 30 minutes get out of bed and do something (repeat until you fall asleep).

^^THIS^^

I was struggling to sleep a while ago through stress at work, and a social worker gave me this exact advice.

Another MAJOR thing she added was about your thought patterns, and breathing patterns. She told me to listen to my breathing. This will help relax you, just concentrate on normal breathing, don't do any over exaggerated breathing or anything unnatural, just breathe and listen to yourself doing this. Tie this in to your thought patterns. When you get thoughts that keep rolling round in your head just try and embrace them! Acknowledge them as thoughts, thoughts are normal! However bad they are or whatever they are about. You cannot change the past, or future. I know the thing you do after a while of trying to sleep is to try blocking the thoughts out. If you do this they will come back but stronger, just acknowledge they are there and let them flow, but all the time concentrate on your breathing. They will perhaps not dissapear completely but this should put you in a natural state to sleep. It worked for me but it is extremely difficult at first, a lot more difficult than it sounds, but like anything, after practice it does work. Main points are this, caffeine and computer before bed. Avoid anything that keeps your mind active before bedtime.

Maybe try taking some natural type of sleeping aid also, but like the quote says i wouldn't go with any prescription medication unless it's unavoidable, which in this case it may be.

Hope this helps!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This is simply a matter of personal preference. I struggle with sleep issues as well and I find that going to bed on a full stomach actually improves my sleep. Actually I even reserve some of my calories so I can get up in the middle of the night and have a snack.

As for exercise the next day I tend to do it regardless. I don't look forward to working out on no sleep but I find that the stressed out feeling i had before I went in there often dissipates after my workout.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Sleep often eludes me, as well. I'm not a big fan of prescription sleep aids, but I take OTC Gravol once in a while. It helps me drift off. Something else that helps is playing out a little story in my mind. Imagine you're on vacation in your favorite location, and play out a little scenario (cute cabana boy optional) . It helps take your mind off of more stressful things and sort of leads the way into dreamland.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How about reading a book before or while you are in bed, I find it helps me to nod off, make sure it's not a thriller or anything that will get your heart racing!!:laugh: