Weight Loss Surgery - Yes or No?

Options
Wondering if anyone here had any of the weight loss surgeries. If yes, is it worth it and how is the lifestyle after. I am having extreme difficulty losing weight. I have figured out that I don't lose unless I have anywhere from 600-800 calories a day. I have thyroid issues and am a insulin dependent diabetic . Debating if I should look into surgery. Pls help!

Replies

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I only know one person who's had a gastric bypass. They are still very obese, although less so than they used to be.

I'm very sorry to hear about your health problems, though. I'm sure you'll find a way! Have you talked to your doctor about the weight loss surgeries? i'm sure they know more than any of us here do. :)
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    With your health issues you need to get the opinion of your doctors instead of us. But just based on your profile pic, you don't look like you should be considering this. Consult a registered dietician to devise a diet for you.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and find out exactly what the requirements are and whether or not you'll meet them. My sister had it done and lost 75-ish lbs, but it doesn't change bad eating habits or the emotional issues that got many of us to where we are now.

Your doctor will be able to help you decide if this is something that will work for you. Good luck.
  • eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    I think if you've tried all the methods to lose weight naturally without success and you have the money, plus your doctor recommends it, then do what you think is right. No one else can feel what it's like to be in your shoes.

I've contemplated the idea before but am now opting to go natural and put in the effort. I had some cash to burn and really wanted liposuction around my butt and thigh area.

I've always had problems with my JLO like butt even when I was thinner and I absolutely hated it. (Although ironically thanks to JLO I came to appreciate them a little more lol)

I was EXTREMELY disproportionate - my top would be a size 6/8 and my bottom a size 12. It's gotten ridiculous as I gained weight though.

But I decided to just go hard for another year and lose as much as I can from exercise and diet. If by next year I'm still not happy with the results, I'm going to splurge and get lipo done unless I find other methods of decreasing my lower bottom half without losing my top.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would view it as an absolute last resort. My BIL was considering it for a while but decided not to. He's on meds that make weight loss incredibly difficult and is diabetic on insulin, so he's had a tough time. I'm not sure how he's done it since we live across the country, but my FIL recently told us that since we've last seen him he's lost 80 pounds (without WLS.)

Obviously YMMV, but sometimes when it seems the only option it's really not. This is something you should talk to a doctor (or several) about and try all other options first. If you have thyroid issues, get on some medications for that and see how it goes. My mother has and underactive thyroid and lost weight when she got on some meds.
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    For people who are going to die if they don't get the weight off quickly it may an option. But I agree...a last resort only. You have to be at least 100 lbs overweight. It's a brutal surgery. The stuff Al Roker said about how he pooped his pants at the White House is just heartbreaking. I can't imagine how awful it would be to live the rest of your life like that. I would try every other option first. Seeing a Doctor is a good suggestion.
  • heathermcclellan
    Options
    I would highly recommend popping over to www.obesityhelp,com and searching around their site. I do know that weight loss surgery can control diabetes or stop the progression but that is something you would definitely want to discuss with your doctor. Good luck to you.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My doctors have recommended WLS to me _ I was actually supposed to go to an orientation meeting tonight - but decided agsinst it. (I've been to two before) Even if you have the surgery, you have to change your eating habits. Before you have the surgery, they make you lose 10% of your body weight.

I would talk to your doctor If you can lose weight without surgery I personally think that's the way to go.

I'd love to have the surgery because the weight falls off you like crazy - but I'm fearful of the long-term issues. Many people who have the surgery are very glad they did -- until they figure out how to go back to their old habits and regain the weight.

So now I'm eating in a more healthy way and limiting portions - and I'm losing weight. Slow and safe - that's the way I want to go. I'm not going to be on a diet for the rest of my life - but I'm going to eat healthy for the rest of my life. Once in a while I'll have my treats and enjoy them -- and I won't have to worry about pooping my pants or throwing up.

Of course, the final decision is yours. I'd learn as much as possibe first. Someone recommended obesityhelp . com. There's loads of info there. Also, call your local hospital and go to an information meeting. Tead, read, and then read some more. You want to learn the pros and the cons.

Good luck to you, whatever you chose. :flowerforyou:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think you may have been undereating for a long time and slowed your metabolism way down. I did that and I'm now realizing I need to eat more to keep my metabolism running and I've lost 5 pounds in the last few weeks. Before deciding on the surgery, really take a look at how much/what you are eating and how you are exercising. I agree with others, it is a last resort. But women are always told to eat 1200 calorie a day diets, we then feel deprived and end up overeating and throwing all of it out the window. If we ate at a more reasonable deficit that is more realistic, I think more of us would be able to take off the weight and keep it off. Good luck to you!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was recommended to have it about 8 years ago when I weighed 380 pounds...I decided to give myself a year and if no decent weight loss to look into the surgery (I have PCOS as well)...well 6.5 years later i a down 188 pounds. Not dissing the surgery cos I have had friends that have had success with it..but maybe give yourself a time limit and then if not happy with your progress then investigate it :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A friend had lap band surgery, and she went through major hell with it. Eventually, she ended up having to have the band removed. I'm sure her experience isn't the norm, but it was enough to ensure that I would never consider weight loss surgery an option.

So many people here have done it without surgery. That's very motivating. Your health issues present an extra problem for you, but I'd recommend exhausting all other options before resorting to surgery.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    For MOST it is
    1. down to dr's see what they think
    and
    2.ONLY if it is TRUELY the last resort of tryng everything else and I don't mean for a couple of weeks or even months! :noway:
    and
    3.You have underling problems that need attention asap! :sad:
    and
    4. you ARE willing to put your life/relationship as we know it on it's head TOTALLY
    and
    5.put your life at risk!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    ok, I have absolutely no experience with this but, I am going to share my opinion anyway. No. Don't do it. Not only is it not a guaranteed fix, it comes with complications as it is a major surgery. In addition, it changes the way your body processes foods. I use to work out with a girl who had lost a bunch of weight through weight loss surgery. She had a really hard time with the diet portion because she could no longer digest things like spinach. Additionally, it is totally possible to gain the weight back. if it was me, I would rather it take longer to lose the weight, and save my pennies for new boobs or something when I have excess skin...something else you may have to deal with if you lose a drastic amount of weight quickly.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would never have weight loss surgery. It may take me years to lose the weight but I know I will do it one day. My personal view is that this should be done as a last resort. Each to their own though.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    When is a matter of life and death yes. Looking at your picture you dont seem to be very big, so i wouldnt consider that, especially having those health problems !
  • Guisma
    Options
    the same money you would spend to put a gastric band you can go to a nutricionist, who can write to you a diet where you dont have to starve and its good to your health.
  • Guisma
    Options
    and you can use the left over money to buy some cute dresses ;)
  • donnareadman7
    donnareadman7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If its totally the last resort and youve tried EVERYTHING else, nothing else is working and its going to benefit you because you're too big to lose weight....which I know a guy who was over 600lbs and he's managed to lose 200lbs so far NO SURERY INVOLVED.

Oh and the hugest thing of all...... IF YOU PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!!!! in the UK alone just for gastric bands it had cost taxpayers £80 million. I say if you can't afford it don't get it done!!!
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was referred for it by my Dr. I did a long program through the military. Longer and more comprehensive that most of the better civilian ones. I finished all classes and requirements but the psych eval. I also am type two (my A1c was 8.9) and I have PCOS as well as a family history of hereditary obesity. by the final class I had decided against the surgery completely. I did EVERYTHING that was asked of me from diet to exercise and have been able to lose almost 145lbs. I lost over 55lbs just while taking the classes from march-July.

Are you seeing an endocrinologist? If not I would suggest it. I was put on Victoza and while it took a while to get used to I really believe it helped kick things off well getting my A1C under control. I dropped to 5.9 in just 3 months and am now even lower than that a year out.

Also find out what your insurance covers for a registered dietician and while there ASK lots of questions. Get your money's worth and find out about group classes you could attend on nutrition counseling.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My mother had WLS in 2009. She lost 15 kg on her own before the surgery and about 45 kg (100lbs) since. All up she's lost around 60kg/132lbs. She is still about 45 - 50lbs overweight, although she is tiny compared to what she used to be. Her type 2 diabetes is all but gone. But the last weight just won't budge despite the fact that she can hardly eats and she exercises frequently.

2 years after her surgery circumstances saw her move in with my family. Speaking from experience, and starting out heavier than my mother was when she had surgery, I would NEVER have it done unless I had no other option but death. She says it's the best thing she ever did, and she did have diabetes as well as high blood pressure when she had the surgery done, and had struggled with losing weight for 30 years. But honestly after living with her... she struggles, on a daily basis, to keep most food down. She has developed so many food intolerances I can't count them all, so what she can eat was severely limited. Then limit that by food that gets stuck (and has her writhing in agony for hours, and it's not always the same food), so many foods that she immediately throws up again... she can't keep enough nutrients in her diet. Her hair falls out because of lack of protein. Even coming up to four years later she still finds foods she can't eat, foods that have her running to the toilet to throw up, or worse. To me, nothing is worth that when there is an alternative.

JMHO but I'd try everything in my power to avoid surgery. I my mother's experience as my inspiration... I don't want WLS and I don't want diabetes... and I'm 27.7kg/61lbs down so far. And it's not always easy, no, but just keep going. If what you're doing doesn't work, find something that does. And I agree with another poster above who said your metabolism may need to be reset. Other than that, talk to your doctor. See what options you have apart from WLS and try everything else first.