Weight Watchers!? Who's done it!?

Options
124»

Replies

• fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Did it a few years ago before propoints, I was successful at the time and got to my lowest adult weight. I can't remember exactly but I must have lost about a stone (14 pounds) in total.

I liked the fact it was easy once I had all the literature and I knew my points. I started to go downhill around xmas which seems to be a pattern for me. Would have probably gone back to it but then the plan was changed to Propoints and I couldn't handle the change. I honestly felt that if something worked it should not have changed.

The only thing I didn't like about it was when I couldn't figure out the points eg restaurant food. Sometimes it was also difficult as I had to remember everything I ate.

I got to say it was very easy to do once I got through the first few days and got used to the routine. If it wasn't for propoints, I probably would have stayed on the diet.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Did WW

Found out after I started MFP how many extra calories I was getting everyday because WW called them free foods. 0 points. Plugged in fruits and veges in MFP and found a ton of extra calories I was eating I didn't know about.

MFP much better.. And if you look at some of the success stories here you can find plenty of bodies as good or better than JH.

I agree after stoping I noticed WOW veggies and furit have a lot of cals and you can just eat endless amounts. I did WW with a phone app for 6 years by myself did not join or pay for it. I lost 20+ pounds and kept it off it does teach you how to eat but so does MFP it is whatever you perfer. I think if you really want to lose weight anything will work as long as the Will and Determination are there. Cheers
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Did it. Didn't like it one bit. The ladies (yeah, it was all women) would not stop talking about buffets. Good thing I wasn't paying for it, because it's expensive. MFP is all you need - make friends, join groups!
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    A coworker is doing it, and I was talking with her about it. The points system seems weird to me. My morning oatmeal (3/4 cup) is like 6 or 8 points, even thought it's only 210 calories. But the 100+ calorie banana or apple I put on it is free... Just doesn't add up in my book. Seems like it would be a very easy system to game, if you wanted to.

However, the support system I hear is really great, if something like that works for you.
  • brunetteavoxgirl
    brunetteavoxgirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Done it?
    I did it years ago with my mom, so forgive me if it's changed drastically.
    What did you like the most?
    Losing weight, and not cutting out any food groups (ie: carbs or what have you) So, basically, what I like about MFP too. Also, the support group. But now, I'm losing weight with my friends, gym friends, and my grandma.
    What DON'T you like about it?
    The money. It was SO EXPENSIVE. We had weekly meeting fees, plus a monthly fee, plus buying all the books for eating out and recipes and the food scales and spoons which HAD to be marketed by WW. Also, I hate the points system. Once I started MFP, I was shocked over things that were "free" foods, that I binged on. Explained the after binge week gains. At least with MFP I'm not "staying within my points" if I'm binging.
    Do you notice you have problems with anything?
    I convinced myself that fruits and veggies had no calories. Also, sugar free jello. I still cannot eat the strawberry kind
    Is it easy?
    Oh yeah. No harder than plopping your food into this database.
    What's the hardest thing about it?
    WTF are points based on? That still bothers me.
    How successful are you?
    I lost 50+ lbs. But I couldn't afford to keep up WW and gained back 50+ 20 more.
    How many lbs per week do you estimate you lose?
    1-2, pretty standard.
    (it doesn't guard against the dreaded plateau though.)
  • SusanVicinie
    SusanVicinie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done it twice - and it works. I did the online version and like it, but this year, I started that and my husband started MyFitnessPal. I have switched as I find the tools easier to use and like the "community" far more to my liking. Both are focused on finding eating patterns that work for you. While their "points" consider more than just calories, I think the simplicity of FitnessPal makes it better - not to mention that this is FREE and Weightwatchers certainly isnt
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Done it? Yes

Is doing it? No

What did you like the most? I lost weight

What DON'T you like about it? Paying

Do you notice you have problems with anything? Nope.

Is it easy? As easy as MFP

What's the hardest thing about it? Making time to go to the weigh ins (never stayed for the meetings)

How successful are you? I did it twice and lost 30-40lbs each time within about 4 or 5 months (and re-gained)

How many lbs per week do you estimate you lose? about 2lbs/week

I'm sure things have changed but I had a problem with our group leader tell us that diet pop can count towards water (during one of the couple meetings I actually attended). It's a good plan for someone who needs the accountability and I did find that because I was paying for it, I pushed extra hard each week to make each weigh in count. I'm much more relaxed using MFP though and don't stress over weight fluctuations like I did. I use to feel like if I 'gained' I was wasting my money and got discouraged quickly.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers and loved it, Lost 10 pounds the first month and I could eat all my regular food without saying "cant I am on a diet" plus they were very cheap.

I also tried nutrisystem.....TERRIBLE food was nasty, portions were small and the price was OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I say go for it youll never know until you try, plus who doesnt like a diet where you dont have to workout and you can still eat olive garden?
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Done it?
    Yes, 2 years ago.

What did you like the most?
    it motivated me to educated myself about nutrition, exercise and a better way of living.

What DON'T you like about it?
    Pretty much everything! I don't like how it's based on eating low fat foods (which by the way are high in sugar). They seem completely oblivious to the fact that obesity is caused by bad blood sugar control (too much sugar and processed foods). I HATE the products they sell - all processed low fat high sugar C**P and I really didn't like it when I weighed in, I hand't lost any weight and it was assumed i'd had a bad week and was asked to explain what had happened - NO, I LIFT HEAVY. The cost is extortionate.

Is it easy?
    Only if you prepare every bit of food yourself. I am often not at home, it's easy to estimate calories, but not points.

What's the hardest thing about it?
    Handing over my money every month. Being pittied when I hadn't lost any weight.

How successful are you?
    20lbs in 4 months, then I stopped because it gave me a weight obsessed eating disorder.

How many lbs per week do you estimate you lose?
    0-3
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have done it. It was great - I was down to a weight that I felt good and looked good (lost 75 pounds) ... I started working for them... things were great... I had no problem with anything... I no probem with tracking... weighing...and I enjoyed the meetings...I stayed at the proper weight for about 5 years....... what happedn to me was...'life'... my mom got cancer...was going thru the treatments, I was her caregiver....I just let it all get to me and I started eating all the wrong stuff ...I have no one to blame for putting all back on but me - I have nothing but good things to say about WW.... I just can't afford it now - and I am learing all the right stuff here... and have great support also....

:happy:
  • heathermnrd
    Options
    Done it? ~~Did it in college and lost about 40 lbs on the old plan. Tried again recently on the new system and gained somehow...
    What DON'T you like about it?~~ i think fruit being 0 points was a big problem in my gaining because i can eat a lot of fruit....which just 1 banana has like 100 cal...
  • Kelley3405
    Options
    Done it? Yes I have done Weight Watchers

Is doing it? No I stopped going to weight watchers I found it very hard to loose weight , i lost 8 pounds and that was a struggle to loose.

What did you like the most? I like the support, and hearing I wasn't the only one struggling to loose weight , it it was nice to have the support and you knew what everyone was going through cause everyone was going through the same thing.

What DON'T you like about it?v I found it a struggle to loose just the 8 pounds, I didn't like the Fruits and veggies were 0 Points and I don't like the new way they have done the program. I like the way the program was before before they changed it.

Do you notice you have problems with anything? I have problems loosing weight , I go to the gym 6 days a week and the days i don't go to the YMCA I take my dog for a walk.
    Is it easy?

What's the hardest thing about it? your working your *kitten* off and, you watch what you eat when you go to get weighed 1 week later you find out you haven't lost anything

How successful are you? only lost 8 pounds a week

How many lbs per week do you estimate you lose? 1 pound to 2.5 sometimes a week

I was thinking of trying Visalus has anyone been on it or tried it???