Help.. strength training routines? (body fat)

Options
I need help piecing a routine I can do at home/gym with free weights.

I'm 5'2, 120lbs.. need to focus on losing body fat. I hear strength training should be of focus with some cardio and of course healthy eating. I'm starting to do 30DS (with 3lb weights each), should I be doing more?

What are some routines that I could do? I'm not very strong so this will be good for me to build up strength as well. Maybe share videos (if that is allowed) to learn different things.

Thanks!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    30DS is not weight training, it is cardio that incorporates the use of light handweights.

A good place to start with weight lifting is the New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts. I also like The New Bodybuilding Workout which you can find by googling.

If you want to buy a pre-packaged program, you could always look into something like P90X or Chalean Extreme.
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try to do the Spartacus workout 1-2 days a week

http://www.brobible.com/life/article/spartacus-workout-10-excercises-sculpt-body

I think it works, I get tired, and sweaty and ache afterwards which is generally a good sign right - but only been doing it a couple of weeks so not sure yet of the results

I also try and do a more cardo based tabata 1-2 a week (I kind of alternate between the two)

Both - with a warm up and cool down (I usually start with a slow 5 min jog) take 45 mins
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is a good one
  • gaveupheart
    gaveupheart Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hm okay, I'll look into those!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym? Best way to lower body fat is increasing your muscle which is done wtih extra calories and heavy lifting.

30DS is a cardio routine... and 3lb weights won't help you build any muscle. You need to lift heavy enough where after about 8 reps you can't do another with proper form.

You can also get larger dumbells to use at home, resistance bands, or look into body weight exercises.
  • gaveupheart
    gaveupheart Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    yes i have a gym membership. do you recommend certain machines or free weights routine w/heavier weights?

i'm not a very strong person & i actually struggle with 30DS w/3lbs weights (i have to do the modified versions) and i can't do a pull up or even a push up =\ so i kinda started w/30DS to help with that since i hear beginners can do it.