30 Day Shred....weights to use?

For those of you doing 30 day shred, what weights do you use? Initially I used a couple of baked beans tins, now I use 2kg ( 4.4lb) dumbells. When I read about all you heavy lifting women out there it seemed a bit pathetic!!! Should I be trying to lift more?

Replies

• ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    I use 3 lb weights. I'll move up to more when I feel like I can handle it.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    I use 3 lb weights too. There are a few exercises that I could do more on but there are others that I don't think I could make it with more. You don't really stop for rest anywhere in between so by then end I feel like my arms are going to fall off. I think that those who are doing heaving lifting are doing actual weight training exercises where you stop and rest between sets. 30 DS is more of a circuit training type workout.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    i used 2lb weights til was comfortable now officially feel like nothing is happening so now progressed to 3lb weight...use what you think you can handle then go up.
  • Numptcakes
    Numptcakes Posts: 145 Member
    My dumbells are just under 3lbs and it's hard enough with those! :blushing: But I can't afford to buy any more so I'll save the heavier lifting for the gym.
  • Charlene_91
    Charlene_91 Posts: 323
    I use the same as you, some lifts i find easy with them and others i find really hard! Just use what you feel comfortable with.
  • SandyQ229
    SandyQ229 Posts: 153 Member
    I USE 3 POUND weights and will progress to heavier ones when i feel i need to and right now that is gonna be a while. lol the 3's are killing my arms by the time im done. :happy:
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Throughout the 30 Day Shred all i used was tins like you started with, couldnt afford weights at the time and it was only for 30 days so i wasnt going to purposely go out of my way to get them - i have mini biceps from just using those so you lovely people will have massive ones! haha

Im now doing workouts that just use my own body weight so hoping that will make my muscles bigger :D
  • Cityperks
    Cityperks Posts: 69 Member
    I have been using 3kg weights. Have to drop one of them to do the side lunges as way too hard.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    I used 3kg weights to start with but went away for work recently and just started it again using 5kg weights. I think it's best to use whatever is best for the individual as you'll notice the difference more when you start to find it too easy and start looking for something heavier to use :)
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    I use 2kgs ones for each hand, so total 4kgs.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    I'm on lvl1 today will be day 5, I use 2.3kg (5.07lbs) weights on most of them except the arm raise side squat at the end and I lower it to 1.1kg (2.4lbs) weights. I agree with the others about this being a circuit, I can lift heavy weights when doing the p90x strength but I aiming for 6-8 reps, so I'm happy with the weights I use on 30ds.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    I have just started the shred (Level 1, Day 3) and the first day I used my husband's 2.5kg hand weights (5kg total) which were far to heavy and I struggled with the reps to the point where I had to drop one of the weights in mid-flow (and accidentally nearly brained the dog with it!). So for the past 2 days I have been using large tins which weigh around 1.2lb each - they are really a bit easy, but better than injuring myself using weights that are clearly too heavy for me right now.

I will try the heavier weights again when I feel stronger (ie: when I can do the proper press ups rather than the easier ones), but I don't want to build too much muscle bulk anyway - big biceps are not for me :wink: , although they are fine on other women if that's their thing :happy:

I must add that I am a totally sedentary 53 year old, who spends 8-9 hours, 5 days a week working at a desk, so my upper body strength is pretty pathetic! I do a lot of power walking and running, so my legs and butt are very strong, but my arms are really pretty flabby right now which is why I decided to give the shred a try

Good luck with your endeavours :smile:
  • Natalie182
    Natalie182 Posts: 61 Member
    Where have you ladies been buying your weights from? I need some =] xx
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 735 Member
    5lbs and boy do I feel it!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 735 Member
    Where have you ladies been buying your weights from? I need some =] xx

Walmart
  • matthewsq
    matthewsq Posts: 58 Member
    is the 30day shred only for girls? hahahaha I'm doing it right now 10 pounds each on the legs and arms and then 15 on just arm movements.
  • Ellealie
    Ellealie Posts: 17
    I finished Level 1 Day 6 today. The smallest weights I have are 5lbs. Some of the exercise are very hard to do for me (those squat lifts, and the side to side lunges where you bring the weights up to shoulder height), but the others are fine. Keep in mind that I hadn't been exercising at all prior to started 30DS.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    When I first did the 30DS last year, I used 2x 1kg weights. I have now moved to 2x 2kg weights and although it's really hard at times, I can still (somehow!) manage to finish the exercises. I am not doing this programme for 30 days straight though! I did it last year and found it very difficult, this time I'm going to do this when I don't go to yoga, boxing class or just gym.

Start with what feels good, but at the same time challenging! You will soon progress to heavier weights.
  • can someone tell me where i get info on this 30 day shred? i cant seem to find it...Thanks :)
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    I also started with canned beans, then I switched to 4lb weights. I have to drop one during the side lunges though because I find it too tough. Best of luck to everyone doing the 30DS!