Running question

Options
Okay, so I recently started to get into a habit of trying to run/jog more for a few reasons:

1) I'm trying to increase lung capacity (which is limited)
2) To not be winded when I have to do some light running (like to catch a bus or something)
3) There are a few races/5ks I would like to do

But I have noticed a couple of issues lately
a) I don't have any kind of a stride - so it seems
b) Weak knees run in the family and lately I have notice when I attempt to run/jog I have some wicked fierce pain (this is not just when I run but I can feel it when I step down from curbs or when I have to suddenly stop myself)

and well...I'm not sure what to do really

Anyone have some advice??

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    For me, it was all about taking it slow. I don't know how fit you are or how much you can run now, but when I started I did a walk/run combo, and slowly increased the run part of it. I would get a dull pain at the bottom of the knee cap if I did too much. I got to the point that my lungs weren't the limiting factor, just that I knew if I ran too much, I would hurt the next day. I'm now able to do 3 and a half miles each morning pretty much pain free (still the occasional dull pain). In my case, what I thought were "bad" knees, I think were just weak knees. Either than or the bad part is being helped by making them stronger.

My advice would be to start out with say 10 to 15 minute run a day for a week. If you don't have any pain, add 5 minutes the next week...and so on and so on.

The other thing that I have been doing, and I don't know if it has had an impact or not, but I make it a point to makes sure I'm eating a lot of protein.

Good luck, I've found it to be very addicting.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting with the Couch to 5K program (google it or C25K as it is commonly known). It is a run/walk combo that eventually gets you running enough for a 5k.

Although before anything, I would visit with a doctor for your knees. You don't want to damage them. It's possible that with weight loss, the pain will lessen or go away, but I would get a doctor's advice on that first.

Good luck!
  • mnrooney06
    Options
    Go to a specialty store vs. big box and get fitted for proper shoe for you
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Number one MOST important thing is shoes!! I can't stress it enough. If you don't have the right shoes (and new), you will definitely injure yourself right out of the gate.

Second, as another poster suggested, start with the couch to 5k program. It's very good and it's gradual.

Good luck!
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Number one MOST important thing is shoes!! I can't stress it enough. If you don't have the right shoes (and new), you will definitely injure yourself right out of the gate.

Second, as another poster suggested, start with the couch to 5k program. It's very good and it's gradual.

Good luck!

This isn't entirely true....there are a lot of people that run a lot of miles in their bare feet.