i give up!!

Options
mcohan
mcohan Posts: 116 Member
i have fallen off the wagon in a HUGE way! i do not think i can do this anymore....i just continue to gain, wake up int he middle of the night to eat....i hvae not been sleeping well....i have been antisocial and in a really bad mood for the past week. what should i do? i dont hvae time to exercise, seeing as i work 2 jobs, and cannot bring myself to wake up at 5 am to work out. my eating is all out of wack....i have been within my intake for the past 2 days, but it still feels like i am gaining.....what the heck!!!

Replies

• jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You are worth making healthy choices. Your body will feel better if you treat it right. It sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life right now. You need and deserve to take care of yourself. Sit down, make a plan, get a support system. You can do this. I know it's hard to find time to exercise. But just 20 minutes of a good sweat gets those endorphins pumping, and you will feel bette. (Three weeks ago, I would have been the last person to encourage exercise!) What are you eating now? How can you change it to make it work for you?
  • sydstar
    sydstar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need to give up, take a break for a few days so the thought of exercise and figuring out what to eat doesn't stress you out. Then, sit down and reassess how you can get in a 20 minute walk each day. Its not a lot but its something that you can fit into a lunch break at work or inbetween running around. I guarantee taking 20 minutes to yourself each day will help relieve a little stress.
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I agree, DON'T GIVE UP ON YOURSELF. You are worth the hard work ahead to lose the weight and feel better about yourself. Since you are working 2 jobs, I HIGHLY recommend plan, plan, plan ahead. Take one day a week to plan for at least one week in advance. Prepare any foods that need to be taken to work and divide everything up for each day. That is what I do every weekend for my work week. It helps keep you within your portions. If you have a hard time remembering to eat, set your alarm on your phone for every 3 hours to eat a snack or lunch, etc. You can do this, just remember to take it one day at a time and it will start to become routine whether you have 2 or 3 jobs. Also, on the exercise. Even if you do 10 mins of exercise it is better than nothing at all. We are all here for you. Just keep posting and we will all cheer you on and push you to continue on your new lifestyle change. :bigsmile:
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Honestly, from looking at your food diary...you aren't eating enough! Your lack of energy, irritability, etc. is most likely due to low blood sugar. I would get off the processed food bars and start trying to incorporate more unprocessed protein, whole grains, vegetables, and some fruits. I'd also up your calorie consumption and water intake. You can't lose weight feeling hungry and miserable. You won't be inspired to exercise if you're already starving.

A good book to read on the topic might be The Insulin Resistance Diet. It takes a very sensible approach to eating and keeping that blood sugar level. The Zone Diet is another good one, but I found the former easier to understand.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration!! I get at least an hour and a half of exercise 5 days a week, stay within my calories everyday and have recently taken up drinking a lot more water and I haven't lost an ounce. In fact, I've gained. My exercise is competitive swimming, so it's a lot of cardio. But, the scale just won't budge. I do notice that my clothes fit better and I've dropped a few bra and pant sizes.

Don't give up just yet. This is a life-changing process and with it comes the ups and downs.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I work 2 jobs as well for 70 hrs a week (my profile pic is me doing an autism walk I have an autistic son that requires private therapy). I also have 3 children under 3. The key to success is getting on a schedule. I have organised a set schedule with my 2 jobs. I work steady midnights and when I cant work out before work I work out after I work. Even if I am exhausted I grab a coffee and head to the gym even for just half an hour.

Dont be discouraged by 2 days. 2 days means nothing.

Get back on the wagon. Throw the bad things you have in the house out if your waking up in the middle of the night and dont have the discipline to stop yourself. I cant have soda in the house or Ill drink it.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You can do this! If you aren't sleeping try taking something to help you sleep. Eating in the middle of the night isn't helping you. I would if I were you is try Simply Sleep. It worked really well for me, It is made by Tylenol PM but it does not have the Tylenol in it. Then if you just don't have much time to work out. There are these great work out dvd's called 10 minute solutions. I found mine at Walmart for $14. I got the one that was kickboxing but they have various ones. It is a good workout for 10 minutes if that is all you can fit in. You can do more if you have more time. You can do it.
  • orlandosgoddess21
    orlandosgoddess21 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First, deep breath! I totally understand how you feel. During the school year between parent conferences, papers to grade, lesson plans, after school meetings, I can't think let alone find time for anything else. Are you being too hard on yourself? Are you setting too many goals? Small goals are really helping me this time. Pick one thing, lots of water this week and just focus on that. Having a good breakfast every day or a more sensible lunch. Just focus on one a week and then a new one. Don't be so hard on yourself and keep on working it. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    i have fallen off the wagon in a HUGE way! i do not think i can do this anymore....i just continue to gain, wake up int he middle of the night to eat....i hvae not been sleeping well....i have been antisocial and in a really bad mood for the past week. what should i do? i dont hvae time to exercise, seeing as i work 2 jobs, and cannot bring myself to wake up at 5 am to work out. my eating is all out of wack....i have been within my intake for the past 2 days, but it still feels like i am gaining.....what the heck!!!

Get rid of all those meal bars, you are replacing real food with meal bars.

Start filling up your stomach with proper food, then you won't be so irritable, you will have more energy and start to pick up again.

Those meal bars may have the right amount of calories, but they are not filling enough and your body is getting tired of them, hence why you have fallen off the wagon.

Give yourself a chance, eat foods that you are going to continue eating even after you have lost your weight, foods that you will be eating in your maintenance stage and forever afterwards - I am damned sure it won't be meal bars for the rest of your life.

One bar is okay, but not a bar to replace every meal xxx
  • emmylou13
    emmylou13 Posts: 46
    Options
    So I took a quick look at your food diary and 1000 calories is just not enough - we are around the same height and age if your profile is accurate and I eat a minimum of 1200 and more often than not 1300 calories a day... at 1000 calories I would feel like giving up too - up you calories and you should start to feel better! plus you don't need to exercise to drop the lbs... it helps... but just start with the nutrition and you will get right back on track! ps - don't forget to treat your self once in a while...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Honestly, from looking at your food diary...you aren't eating enough! Your lack of energy, irritability, etc. is most likely due to low blood sugar. I would get off the processed food bars and start trying to incorporate more unprocessed protein, whole grains, vegetables, and some fruits. I'd also up your calorie consumption and water intake. You can't lose weight feeling hungry and miserable. You won't be inspired to exercise if you're already starving.

A good book to read on the topic might be The Insulin Resistance Diet. It takes a very sensible approach to eating and keeping that blood sugar level. The Zone Diet is another good one, but I found the former easier to understand.

Agreed! Not eating enough and all the processed food bars have to go! Those are OK when you are in a pinch for something on the go. But, the best thing for your body is real, unprocessed foods!

Yes, it's VERY hard when you are working 2 jobs. Planning ahead is key!

Cook up some boneless, skinless chicken breast and throw it between some whole grain bread with some spinach leaf.... mustard or whatever condiments you like.

Get some ground, lean turkey and make some patties or meatloaf. You can freeze them and throw them in a sandwich too!
    Lettuce, tomato, onions, avocado for healthy fats... on whole grain bread or ThinBuns/Sandwich Thins.

Stir fry your favorite veggies in Pam or a bit of olive oil... toss in whatever meat you like! (shrimp, ground turkey, chicken, etc)
    Play around with different spices, low-sodium soy sauce, onions, garlic... everything will add flavor.

Don't give up!!!!! You can do this!!!! Stay on the boards for support! Everyone here is very nice and offer great suggestions!
    Fast, healthy and yummy!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Don't give up..........you came to this site for a reason. Looking at your food diary................your calorie intake is too low. Your body will shut off below 1200 calories. Hence, the not losing weight part. Add lean proteins and cheese to your intake and cut alot of the carbs. Add more fiber as well with plenty of water and that should make you feel full longer. I know that you are pressed for time due the long work hours, but even if you could get in a walk at your lunch break, it would not only benefit for exercise, but will help with the anxiety as well. Good luck to you and friend me if you would like:)
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

I have to agree. Those protein bars are okay in a pinch every now and then, but no way are they enough to be the only thing you eat. I pretty much only have them when I am traveling for work. Plus your calories are set at 1000. MFP cuts people off at a minimum of 1200 for a reason. It is the minimum recommended calorie intake to prevent your body from starving. That could be a No. 1 reason you might be having problems with the scale. I know I did when I first started and over-dieted.

And, yeh, the lack of calories can cause the sluggishness and irritability you are dealing with. And cutting back as much as you are without seeing results... it can be frustrating.

But if you eat more, that should solve all these problems.
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! I am with everyone here don't give up!!! You are so worth being healthy, if we don't have our health, we don't have anything! I'm a single mom, I've got two rowdy kids, I've also recently "adopted' my 7yr old niece and alcoholic/mentally challenged brother, I've got 3 rescue dogs (2 pit bulls and one Boston Terrier), I also have no less than 6 kids in my house that I'm responsible for most days of the week and a few other critters to take care of. I also work. So I completely understand not having time to work out, which is something that I'm actively looking to find a solution for right now. However the one thing that I can control all the time is what I eat!

I looked at your food diary and agree with a previous poster. You need to change what you are eating to improve how you feel! You likely are not getting enough calories, and the calories you are eating, are coming from processed food. Try to cut out those bars and processed things, instead eat whole foods that are healthy for you... Lean meats, fresh (when you can get it) veggies, and fruit. I cannot tolerate much in the way of carbs, but if you can eat them, try whole grains and things like steel cut oatmeal. You can eat a lot more food calorie wise this way than trying to subsist on processed "food" bars. You should see a huge change in how you feel just by improving what you eat. Eating this way takes more planning, but it is so very worth it. I try to plan ahead for an entire week, or at least 3-4 days. I will cook an entire bag of frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts all at once so I have easy ready-to-go protein to grab. Its a bit more work, but definitely will improve things for you. It will also help improve your metabolism and well, a whole lot of other things.

My food diary is open to the public to view, while not perfect, since I am still in the process of figuring out what I can and cannot eat, it might give you an idea of a way to improve your food intake.

It I was in your place (and I'm not too far from the NO time thing like you) I would first concentrate on improving what you eat, and then work on adding in the exercise. Most of the personal trainers/health coaches/and what not..will tell you that losing weight is 80% diet/food and 20% exercise (give or take a few percentages depending on the person), and I know that this is true for me as well!

Good luck, if you need a friend or someone to talk to...add or message me :)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I just want to address how you feel right now. It sounds to me like you are a bit depressed. (I just speak from experience) I worry that quitting now is only going to make you feel worse. Starting with sleep, have you ever tried Kava Kava? It is just an herb that helps you shut off what I like to call the ticker in your head that keeps your thoughts racing before sleep. It is natural and doesn't affect how you wake up in the morning at all. Keep pen and paper next to your bed. If you wake up in the middle of the night, before you head to the kitchen, write down whats on your mind. It may help clear your head and get you back to rest without a need for a snack. As far as exercise, is it possible to find just a few stray minutes throughout your day to do just a few things to not only burn a few calories, but release some endorphins? I sneak in a few sets of pushups or jumping jacks during my day. All it takes is one minute at a time.

I don't have a lot of food advice but I do agree that you are probably very hungry. Cook up a few chicken breasts at a time and freeze them. Then you just have to pop one in the microwave and grab a salad or veggies. Then you are actually taking a moment to sit with a meal.

Don't give up on yourself. Believe that you can do this and remember how good it feels when you accomplish just one tiny thing at a time. I'm a firm beiever in giving yourself LOTS of credit for doing good things. :flowerforyou:
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Make small changes. Don't try to revolutionize everything in your life right now. Pick out one thing that you can do right now that is healthier.

Cut out sugar sodas. Or take healthier lunches.

And then when you get that down, try to add yet another thing. Before you know it you WILL have revolutionized your life.

But you've gotta do it incrementally. Trying to white knuckle everything will NATURALLY make you overwhelmed and want to give up.
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    You can still do it, even if you don't have time to exercise (I don't either) BUT, I have to agree with the others - I was shocked at how little you ate and what you ate. You seem to have very little variety from one day to the next, as well as the "meal bars" (which aren't meals).

There's plenty you can cook up that's quick, simple, healthy and above all not boring! Have ingredients that you can literally throw together - a jar of olives, cubed cheese, a bag of salad, some cooked new potatoes, nuts and some lemon juice in a bottle to name but a few!

Get some fun back into your diet and you'll feel completely different.

Also, get a good breakfast in you - a bowl of porridge and an orange juice for example. It'll come to about 300 calories and will set you up with so much energy to get through the morning. Have a hearty bowl of mixed salad (with protein and some carbs) for lunch (another 200-300) and then a proper dinner.

Life's too short not to enjoy every possible moment!
  • khursh8
    khursh8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also think you should choose just one or two things to change this week. Make them things that you are relatively sure you can stick to in order to create momentum and feel successful. I know you don't have a lot of time, but the book "Switch: How to Change When Change is Hard" has been life altering for me. It teaches this principal. Don't think about this week as the first week you will lose weight, think about it as the week that you will finally be able to drink 40oz of water every day, or the first week that you've gotten all your fruit and vegetable dietary requirements. It isn't so overwhelming that way, and small things make a big difference. Hang in there!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Night time eating is my downfall too. Waking up 3-5 times a night and wanting to eat. If I stop doing that, I lose weight. I am on trazadone and that helps with the sleeping. Not 100% but a lot better. It is super cheap too. You can get it @ Wal-mart pharmacy for $10 without insurance.

The other thing that helps is if you have an apple or an orange next to your bed. That way, when you wake up, you can eat that and go back to sleep. I know when you wake up in the middle of the night, you are probably craving anything with carbs (most night eaters do) but stay away! The more carbs you eat, I swear, the more you wake up.

Don't give up. Consistency is the key. It may take a couple weeks, but if you can just take it one day at a time, you will start seeing some results. Hang in there.