Exercise tips for stomach fat - major problem area!!!!!

Options
I seem to put all my weight on on the front and although I have successfully lost 3.5 inches in the last couple of weeks I feel like I'm not working them enough and it's getting me down.

I've been doing all the usual cross trainer, walking instead of getting the bus, horse riding (which has done wonders for my legs!) and leg/arm weights but is there anything that concentrates on the stomach muscles aside from sit ups?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need to lower your bodyfat over all - a moderate calorie deficit and a decent full body strength training routine.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, just keep losing weight.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have successfully lost 3.5 inches in the last couple of weeks I feel like I'm not working them enough and it's getting me down.

This is seriously exasperating and depressing.

I lose half an inch and I jump for freaking joy.

To lose fat in your stomach, it's the same as fat anywhere else...you can't spot reduce, and you only lose it by eating at a moderate calorie deficit. It will look awesome if you weight train while in a deficit, and cardio will make the deficit bigger. I prefer all of the above.
  • kaycol90
    kaycol90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have successfully lost 3.5 inches in the last couple of weeks I feel like I'm not working them enough and it's getting me down.

This is seriously exasperating and depressing.

I lose half an inch and I jump for freaking joy.

To lose fat in your stomach, it's the same as fat anywhere else...you can't spot reduce, and you only lose it by eating at a moderate calorie deficit. It will look awesome if you weight train while in a deficit, and cardio will make the deficit bigger. I prefer all of the above.

Thanks Lyadeia! I know you can't spot reduce, I just thought there might be some sort of weight training that focuses on the abdominal muscles. Everything I do seems to only focus on legs and arms!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I have a naturally round belly and was able to change the shape of my stomach through core-focused exercise. I don't have "washboard" abs, but that's not what I was after. IMO, the trick is to work your entire core.(Of course it helps to love core work.)
  • kaycol90
    Options
    I have a naturally round belly and was able to change the shape of my stomach through core-focused exercise. I don't have "washboard" abs, but that's not what I was after. IMO, the trick is to work your entire core.(Of course it helps to love core work.)

Thanks :) I was told Pilates is really good for this? Really need to strengthen mine for riding.
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals six week six pack, this is level one. I've only done it once, so can't tell you about results, but it hurt for days afterwards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8Zdj0OPMI
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals six week six pack, this is level one. I've only done it once, so can't tell you about results, but it hurt for days afterwards!

I did 6 week 6 pack and had great results, but this was still with the calorie deficits as mentioned above. I was in weight loss mode when i did it... I have a picture in my profile if you would like to see my "before", "during" and "after" shots.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

This.
  • kaycol90
    Options

This.

Like I said before - I know you cannot spot reduce, but that doesn't mean you cannot focus on certain muscle groups.
  • kaycol90
    Options

I did 6 week 6 pack and had great results, but this was still with the calorie deficits as mentioned above. I was in weight loss mode when i did it... I have a picture in my profile if you would like to see my "before", "during" and "after" shots.

Will definitely give this a try thanks!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

This.

Like I said before - I know you cannot spot reduce, but that doesn't mean you cannot focus on certain muscle groups.

You can focus on them.....but if you still have fat over top, it doesn't matter.

So, as everyone as said, just keep losing weight.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, just focus on whole-body moves that help tighten the core: dead lifts, squats, over head presses, planks, hanging lifts...lift in addtion to cardio.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

This.

The 2 are completely unrelated though, so why are you asking about exercise when you're unhappy with your fat levels in your stomach?

Doing exercise + eating lots of food builds muscle (and fat) and makes your abs more prominent. Eating less than you consume loses fat and makes existing muscle start to show. So which is it that you want?

You already have abs, you just have too much fat. So by all means, do ab exercises, but it's a waste of time by and large and you would be better served with an exercise routine that focuses on large movement compounds and only throw in the odd core exercise as an accessory.
  • kaycol90
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, just focus on whole-body moves that help tighten the core: dead lifts, squats, over head presses, planks, hanging lifts...lift in addtion to cardio.

Fantastic - thanks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you need to lower your bodyfat over all - a moderate calorie deficit and a decent full body strength training routine.

Took the words right out of my mouth...

Squats, Bench Press, OH Press, Dead-Lifts and some cardio (like 30-45 minutes 3-5x weekly).
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Any of Jillian Michael's videos are great! You get great ab work, strength training , and cardio. I love them! I have abs I never thought I could have. :-) (under the little layer of fat that I still have to lose through deficit) Good luck!
  • RedfishGuy
    RedfishGuy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like doing reverse refrigerator pushaways to target my abs, along with some cardio.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

This.

The 2 are completely unrelated though, so why are you asking about exercise when you're unhappy with your fat levels in your stomach?

Doing exercise + eating lots of food builds muscle (and fat) and makes your abs more prominent. Eating less than you consume loses fat and makes existing muscle start to show. So which is it that you want?

You already have abs, you just have too much fat. So by all means, do ab exercises, but it's a waste of time by and large and you would be better served with an exercise routine that focuses on large movement compounds and only throw in the odd core exercise as an accessory.

It's not a waste of time to build and strengthen any muscles! She knows she has to lose the fat with a deficit, so what is wrong with wanting to shape and tone the muscles under the fat? So when the fat is gone, Wow muscles!! And more muscle overall helps to burn more fat overall! Good luck OP!!
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options

It's not a waste of time to build and strengthen any muscles! She knows she has to lose the fat with a deficit, so what is wrong with wanting to shape and tone the muscles under the fat? So when the fat is gone, Wow muscles!! And more muscle overall helps to burn more fat overall! Good luck OP!!

I think what this person was saying, you cannot gain abs by doing 1000s of crunches, etc. Focusing on whole body and core moves will benefit the OP and give faster results.