PCOS and weight loss

Options
I've had PCOS for about 15 years now and have finally decided to take charge and stop complaining about my symptoms. I have started exercising for 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week and eating healthier. I have been watching my calories and am not sure yet how that is as I'm not weighing myself until Sunday.

I'm just wondering what everyone else is doing and what they have had success doing and what hasn't worked for them. Any advice or suggestions would be great. I can't ever get a straight answer from my doctor or the nutritionist I was seeing.

Thanks!

Replies

• LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    I've had PCOS for about 15 years now and have finally decided to take charge and stop complaining about my symptoms. I have started exercising for 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week and eating healthier. I have been watching my calories and am not sure yet how that is as I'm not weighing myself until Sunday.

I'm just wondering what everyone else is doing and what they have had success doing and what hasn't worked for them. Any advice or suggestions would be great. I can't ever get a straight answer from my doctor or the nutritionist I was seeing.

Thanks!

Are you seeing a regular doctor, gynecologist or an endocrinologist? If you are not seeing an endo, I would highly recommend that. Most other health practitioners have very minimal insight into PCOS and even fewer suggestions on treatment. Are you insulin resistant? That also makes a difference. If you are, I would suggest talking to your doctor about taking metformin. It helps your body with the insulin resistance and can make your weight loss journey easier on you.

Other than that, diet and exercise are it! Make sure you are getting enough protein and if you are insulin resistant, lower carb can be beneficial as well.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but followed an anti inflammatory diet which in a lot of reading I've done, PCOS came up. there is a really good book by Byron Richards called " Mastering Leptin"... He also has a website where if you dig around enough he explains it all. As above post said..increase protein, lessen processed carbs mainly. He also has 5 rules for Leptin Diet..these are aimed at normalizing hormonal responses in people with insulin/leptin resistance.
  • heatherkurvink
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's. I have a doctor, gynecologist and an endocrinologist that I see. I live in a small town so my access to large hospitals and clinics is limited to find a doctor with experience in PCOS. I have been taking Metformin now for about 4 years. Thanks again for the responses!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 11 years ago. I lost 150 lbs with it, while taking Metformin. I just worked out and counted calories. I didn't limit particular food groups, and pretty much ate what I wanted, just within my calories. Most of the cardio I've done has been some form of dance cardio, because it's something I enjoy, and I do strength training. The key with working out is to find something you enjoy!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, I don't see any doctors or anyone about it, they tested me confirmed I had definitely got PCOS then just left me to it, no medication or advice or anything.

Eating healthier foods and being careful with carbs and sugar, and concentrating on eating high protein foods has helped ALOT.

Good luck on your journey :D
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've had success losing weight even though I have PCOS. When you lose weight too, the symptoms seems to start disappearing. I've not had many problems lately, which is awesome!

I stick to my calorie plan(most days), and workout 5 days a week. Try and stay away from carbs/sugars - they seem to make me want to eat more and more! Hope this helps.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have PCOs and I have lost weight previously with weight watchers and alone low carbing, however I found it very difficult to keep the weight off and of course, it piles back on VERY quickly.

I have lost 37lbs since the beginning of November by just logging my foods on here and exercising and I feel that this time it could be "it".

I think with determination and commitment it can be done, but it is more difficult than for some other people.

The key is to keep going and to not give up and to not use PCOs as the excuse for being overweight like I have done for many years :)
  • ampage25
    ampage25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    what symptoms do you see with PCOS?
  • Raynne413
    Options
    what symptoms do you see with PCOS?

The most obvious tends to be a lot of dark hair growth, or excess hair.
  • Nyksta
    Options
    Abnormal periods/cycles, excess weight especially around the middle/stomach area, excess hair growth, for example on the face, cravings for sugar/carbs, difficulty conceiving, insulin problems, skin tags... there are more but that is what springs to my mind...
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Abnormal periods/cycles, excess weight especially around the middle/stomach area, excess hair growth, for example on the face, cravings for sugar/carbs, difficulty conceiving, insulin problems, skin tags... there are more but that is what springs to my mind...

You can have normal periods, though. I had a regular cycle until I developed an eating disorder.
  • Nyksta
    Options

You can have normal periods, though. I had a regular cycle until I developed an eating disorder.

Yes, you're right :) Different people suffer from different symptons and some more than others. My cycles are not brilliant but they are more regular than others. Unfortunately loosing weight has so far thrown my body off again, having 2 months of 22 day cycles and now I'm on CD42....
  • Raynne413
    Options

Yes, you're right :) Different people suffer from different symptons and some more than others. My cycles are not brilliant but they are more regular than others. Unfortunately loosing weight has so far thrown my body off again, having 2 months of 22 day cycles and now I'm on CD42....

Try adding in a history of eating disorders with PCOS and the Mirena. LOL I never know WHEN I'm going to start! Sometimes I just have a month of PMS symptoms with nothing else. :grumble:
  • misstori09
    misstori09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago. I have been struggling with weight and my cycles every since I was about 15, I am now 28. I took a real stab at losing weight and getting myself on track August of 2012. I have lost a total of 60lbs since then. I count calories, workout, and drink only water. Since I started I have had a cycle every month except for November. Being consistent, holding myself accountable, and trying is what's working for me. In addition to that, I am NOT on a diet, I am in the middle of a lifestyle change.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with PCOS since 1992. No Dr's have offered any advice except when I actually went to an Endo. He wanted to put me on spironolactone which my ins didn't cover. I told him it was too expensive and he said to me
    " IF YOU STOP BUYING SO MUCH FOOD, YOU COULD AFFORD THE MEDICATION".
    That was the last time I saw his face.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    My previous endo called me chubby. LOL I was glad he retired. :) My current endo calls me skinny. I love him.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with PCOS since 1992. No Dr's have offered any advice except when I actually went to an Endo. He wanted to put me on spironolactone which my ins didn't cover. I told him it was too expensive and he said to me
    " IF YOU STOP BUYING SO MUCH FOOD, YOU COULD AFFORD THE MEDICATION".
    That was the last time I saw his face.

...what an *kitten*.
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 2 months ago. The awesome thing was that my gyno HAS it, so she was a wealth of knowledge. She prescribed Metformin and I go back for a follow up in June.

I had already started watching my calorie intake and exercising before the diagnosis, but she suggested I watch my carb and sugar intake. Advised that a lot of PCOS patients have a higher carb/sugar craving/addiction than non PCOS patients, and its important to watch that. Essentially she told me potatoes are like crack for us, lol (obviously that varies on whether you actually have insulin resistance and, if you're me, are a stress eater).

As far as what I've been doing differently. I watch my sugar, I try to avoid having several high sugar items all in the same day and I've increased my protein intake. I've started drinking protein shakes for an afternoon snack more to stave off my blood sugar/carb crash and my afternoon hunger pangs than anything fitness related. I've found that, for me, those protein shakes are a (low sugar low carb) life saver.

She also suggested birth control, because it can reduce some symptoms, as well as "preserve" your ovaries if you want to try conceiving sometime in the future. I, however, have not started that, at least yet, as I have a high risk of breast cancer and its a big decision that I'm not ready to make yet.
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was also diagnosed with PCOS and feel like I have the "ugly" disease. I mean what else out there makes you fat, bald where you don't want to be, and hairy where you don't want to be, have a big stomach, mood swings, feel manly and unfemine, ughh. Okay done with my rant. I just started MFP to try and lose some weight and take this more serious. I have major sugar cravings, I actually can go all day without eating anything salty, I just don't want it. I'm 5ft 4in at about 155lbs and want to get back to 125-130lbs. I am terrified of lifting weights because I'm afraid I'll bulk up like a man (am large framed) even though there is so much advice for women weightlifting. Do you ladies with PCOS have the same fears, feelings, and struggles? I've been looking into alternate day fasting, and have done this for one week. I'm wondering if my hormones will get out of whack though?
  • Raynne413
    Options
    I was also diagnosed with PCOS and feel like I have the "ugly" disease. I mean what else out there makes you fat, bald where you don't want to be, and hairy where you don't want to be, have a big stomach, mood swings, feel manly and unfemine, ughh. Okay done with my rant. I just started MFP to try and lose some weight and take this more serious. I have major sugar cravings, I actually can go all day without eating anything salty, I just don't want it. I'm 5ft 4in at about 155lbs and want to get back to 125-130lbs. I am terrified of lifting weights because I'm afraid I'll bulk up like a man (am large framed) even though there is so much advice for women weightlifting. Do you ladies with PCOS have the same fears, feelings, and struggles? I've been looking into alternate day fasting, and have done this for one week. I'm wondering if my hormones will get out of whack though?
    I would worry about the effects of this on your blood sugar. You might want to just try basic calorie counting for awhile.