small portions

Options
ok I have read in one post that it doesn't matter on what you eat but it's all about small portions? SO if I eat pasta it has to be like one cup of pasta? I have a high school friend on facebook that I can but add some flax seed.

Replies

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Yes it is about portion control. Bottom line it is about calories. I like to try and eat whole foods. Staying away from all processed foods as much as possible. The reason I like whole foods is there is no crap in them. I want to eat food and not chemicals. But when we're talking bottom lines, the bottom line is to eat what works for you. What works for you will not always be the easiest, so do prep. Measure everything you eat or drink and track your calories, both eaten and burned. Keep a deficit of calories and you will loose. You will miss things initially, but you will find that your taste buds will get on board with your new way of eating. Just stick to it.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Portion control and calories. I have downsized my lunch into a Rubbermaid LunchBlox. Four small containers, 2C, 1C and 2x 1/2 cup. Throw in a piece of fruit and a carton of yogurt and I am set for snacks and lunch for the day. I try to pack my lunch the night before and log everything. Didn't do that last night, so I was just finished logging my breakfast and lunch.

Good luck. lots of good food in many places. Try a local farmers market, they are fun and usually high quality food/ low cost.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It's about calories. Volume doesn't matter. I just try to stick to smaller portions of more calorie dense stuff and larger portions of less calorie dense stuff.
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If all you care about is weight lose, yes, you can eat whatever you want as long as you are below your caloric goal for the day. Many people find it easier to stay below their caloric goal if they eat foods high in fiber, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables. If your goals include more overall health, you might consider eating less processed foods and more "whole" foods.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    look at the pasta package for recommended serving size. Most pasta's the recommended serving size is 1/3 cup -1/2 cup. Pasta is not your friend if you are wanting to lose weight. Empty carbs...no nutritional value ...but I have to admit I do miss my pasta...
  • Addictedtodamon
    Options
    well I just ate 1 cup of cheerios and a cup of coffee.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've found that its ok to eat rice and cereal and other "forbidden" foods--as long as I keep within my carb count zone. However, I've found that it makes things more difficult for me to stay within that zone so i dont do it often. The carbs not only add up fast, but I have a hard time resisting more carbs. So, I try to eat them only at dinner. That way I don't have to resist for too long. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I think it is usually recommended to eat the carbs earlier in the day so your body has a chance to burn them off.

Edit: oh, and I wouldn't do it unless I've been in ketosis for a while.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's about calories. Volume doesn't matter. I just try to stick to smaller portions of more calorie dense stuff and larger portions of less calorie dense stuff.

This exactly in my opinion