NIGHT TIME CRAVINGS

Options
Hello. I am new to My Fitness Pal and have a question for anyone who can offer advice. What is something you do to cease night time cravings for sweets? I have a sweet tooth and would like to find ways to limit caloric intake after 7pm.

Thanks much!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• redgirlrunning
    Options
    It's a hard habit to kick at first, so if I absolutely had to have something I'd have one of those 100 calorie packs of cookies. However, I've learned to curb it by drinking an entire glass of water -- not my favorite thing, but the urge does pass.

Don't beat yourself up if you cave, there's always tomorrow!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Heat up a cup of water and lemon juice (real or concentrate) in the microwave for a minute. Be sure to drink it through a straw so the acid doesn't kill your teeth. It may sound weird, but it really, really works on cutting sweet cravings.
  • Bubblevixen
    Bubblevixen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    to be honest, I used to crave sweet things all the time. Literally from the moment i woke up, I'd want cake. Same at night time. I've found the introduction of protein shakes to my diet has completely eliminated my random cravings. Its astounded me really, because i genuinely couldn't care less about chocolate or sweets anymore! I'm also completely aware that what has worked for me, may not work for other people :) I figured I'd share anyway :D
  • hollyn512
    hollyn512 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    12 almonds! :)
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth. Or put on a whitening strip. (Sometimes you have to resort to dirty trickery!)
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    i work graveyard so i don't think i can be of any help. :smile:

little note though. I crave ice cream sometimes. So i make portioned out servings of fruit protien smoothies and freeze them. I put a tabelspoon of york peppermint pattie coffee creamer in them. They taste just like ice cream. An option for you.
  • DrakeMorse
    DrakeMorse Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    12 almonds! :)

Somethign simple is the way to go if you must eat. However a glass of water or something as well is great too!
  • AJCROWE78
    AJCROWE78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do a full workout at the gym every morning at 5am...but I have noticed on the days that I take a nice long brisk walk in the evening it curbs the cravings..weird perhaps but it is working!! And then if I absolutely have to have something it is usually a weight watchers mini bar which is like 45 calories
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I like Intermittent Fasting. I stop eating after a designated hour.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    drink whiskey,,, or vodka.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    HOT TEA does the trick for me! Or, sometimes I resort to the 100 calorie weight watchers ice cream bars.
  • matisse216
    Options
    Having small amounts of sugar is not the answer!
    It just teases yourself, and doesn't ease the craving!
    Herbal tea works really well with me, otherwise brushing your teeth as someone said earlier.

Goodluck!
  • PinkNinjaKitty
    PinkNinjaKitty Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Every night I have two squares of high-quality dark chocolate with my sleepy time tea. Dark chocolate is lower in sugar than most other options and it is good for you. I look forward to this every night. It is my reward for being good throughout the day.

If you don't want to eat any sugar...brushing your teeth may help.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    There is no need to stop eating by 7pm as meal timing and frequency does not matter, as long as you have a calorie deficit.

If you really don't want to eat past 7pm though, the only way is to get hang in there and force yourself to curb the urge. You can try gum, water, fruit, non fat yoghurt, a few pieces of dark choc, nuts etc. Or go for a walk, paint your nails, read a book, call a friend.. Basically do something to distract yourself. You can pick up a new instrument, knitting or whatever that engages you instead of having to eat. You can lurk on mfp, fb, tumblr, etc...

But if you really find that you have to eat something sweet before bed, then have it, but make allowance for it!
  • misseseaj2010
    Options
    I've been drinking caffeine free flavored tea with splenda in it. It helps keep my stomach from getting hungry between dinner and bedtime. I have chamomile and one tea called sleepytime that's supposed to help you relax.

Chocolate flavored rice cakes have 60 calories. You might could try the chocolate Popsicles they make like diet ones. Also sugar free candy might satisfy your cravings.
  • eboyas
    eboyas Posts: 11
    Options
    I love mixing a cup of Greek yogurt with splenda, and cocoa powder or PB2. Then, I top it off with one tablespoon of mini chocolate chips. For black forest yogurt, I mix a couple of T. of cocoa, splenda and a T of dried, unsweetened cherries.

http://thesmallestloser.blogspot.com
  • djfesq
    djfesq Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth. Or put on a whitening strip. (Sometimes you have to resort to dirty trickery!)

Yes brushing teeth works!
  • tmichel7
    tmichel7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that I actually love! I have a terrible sweet tooth- so I can totally relate. These are the two things that work for me- Hot tea with honey or a Sugar free fudgcicle it is only 40 calories and has chocolate so it totally helps with the fix and did I mention one pop is only 40 calories! :)
  • MerMandy17
    MerMandy17 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Pop some sugar free gum or brush your teeth. If you still have the craving, try a glass of ice water with either a slice of cucumber, a lemon wedge, or fruit infused. I keep slices of lemon and frozen blueberries handy to sweeten my water slightly when I have these cravings. Sometimes when we have cravings, we really are just thirsty. Plus, the fruit gives the water just a hint of natural sweetness without adding calories to the beverage.