What Vitamins & Supplements do you Take?

Options
Hi all, I was just popping my morning pills (lol) and thought I would ask everyone else. What vitamins and/or supplements do you take? And why, if it's not obvious?

I personally take a one-a-day multivitamin just because I know when you cut back calories you tend to lose some important vitamins. I also take fiber (for obvious reasons - haha), and biotin for my nails. I just started the biotin so I'm interested to see if it works. My nails have always been thin and sad, so I'm hoping it works. Oh, and I take glucosamine with chondroitin for my knees. Repetitive motion on my knees makes them feel like they stiffen up and the glucosamine with chondroitin has really helped with that problem!

I would be open to any suggestions or changes, too.

Thanks!

Replies

• chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I take Life's Fortune vitamin with minerals and greens, and also add flaxseed to my smoothies and chia meal as a natural appetite control, and omega 3s
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin with my meal and BCAA's and sometimes Jack3d or some other pre workout supplement before I lift.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I only take a B vitamin daily as I don't get nearly enough of that in my diet. Most other things I get great amounts on in my diet so I don't take a daily multi or anything like that. I only take a multi if I have a bad eating day.

I think we tend to suppliement far too often. Make sure you try to only take what you need.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I take 2 one a day multivitamin and iron tablets in the morning with one GCS tablet and then in the evening I take another GCS tablet for my joints, similar to you for my knee. Supplement wise I take USN protein dessert after my evening meal on days when I work out.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Men One a day active
    Optimum Nutrition BCAA unflavored
    Con Creat - Creatin HCl
    NO xplode pre workout
    Optimum Nutrition Glutatmine
    Muscle Pharm Combat - Cookies and Cream Whey
    Muscle Pharm - Casein
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I take Optimum Nutrition women's multivitamin and fish oil in the mornings. Some days I take a pre-workout supplement like Muscle Pharm Assault or BSN No-Xplode 2.0. After lifting I take a protein shake with Glutamine or BCAAs in it.

Oh and for my nails to grow I started using the product called Nail Magic (Sally Beauty) and my nails are in the best shape ever. It's a topcoat type formula. Try it!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I take kids vitamins when I remember... Gummy vites... If they are good for the kids, then they are for me... I started taking them the day after a stomach bug when I REALLY wasn't feeling well... I'm hoping it will fill any "holes" in my diet. Nothing else... I try to get it all from my food.
  • sbrodeur100
    sbrodeur100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Generally take a Vitamin Shoppe Ultimate Man multivitamin. Has more minerals then a normal one a day.

Used to take Jack3d before workouts but after seeing the controversy of it killing 3 people and banned in most European countries, just straight up caffeine works.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/business/death-after-use-of-jack3d-shows-gap-in-regulation.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I take a daily probiotic pill, two GNC Women Mutlivitamin chews and a CLA supplement

(CLA is supposedly helpful for promoting fat metabolism. I don't know about that, so I opted for the one that also contained DHA & Omega 3,6,9. Those supplements are proven to help, so at least I'll get something out of it :smile:)
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I take a B Complex, and Iron Supplement in the morning. Also just started back on Muscle Pharm (Shred Matrix, CLA Core, Assault, and Bulletproof) Their products are awesome!
  • KLC2784
    KLC2784 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take a daily multivitamin, calcium, and glucosamine supplement.
  • hamasehfallah
    Options
    If you are cutting calories to the point where you are unable to get enough vital nutrients, you are cutting too much calories. If you are eating a well balanced diet and are getting a daily intake of varied vegetables and fruits, you honestly do NOT need a multi vitamin.

However, if you are eating basically the same thing every day, or your diet does not consist of fruits/veggies/whole grains (aka fad low carb diets or high fat keto diets) then yes, you could benefit from a multi vitamin. I personally never take mutlis and am in perfect health, the few months that i did attempt to take a multi vitamin i broke out horrendously (later figured out that a lot of people have this same reaction to multis...something about the zinc interacting with other minerals...or something...)

Anyways. I take 4 caps of Nordic Naturals Fish Oil (i buy the one that has the highest DHA/EPA), I take about 3g of CLA a day. That is about it for my DAILY/CONSISTENT pills.

As far as other vitamins, i supplement based on my diet for that week. If i am on my menstrual cycle, i will take iron. I know a lot about what foods contain what vitamins/minerals, so if i notice i have been eating a diet lacking in certain vitamins/minerals, i will supplement (for example if i haven't had dairy at all, ill take a calcium supplement. I randomly pop b-complex vitamins. If i notice my diet has been lacking in zinc/magnesium rich foods that day, i will pop a zinc and magnesium pill. Those are basically the only ones i supplement, calcium/zinc/b-vitamins/magnesium, because these are what is mostly lacking in peoples diets these days).

Of course the above only applies to healthy individuals. If you, for some health reason, have been told by your doctor you are lacking in a specific vitamin/mineral than by all means supplement. But as a general rule you get what you need from food. You body also is smart enough to store essential vitamins/minerals. So its not like you need to hit an exact amount EVERY day.
  • hamasehfallah
    Options
    Oh I also take a powdered BCAA supplement to supplement my high activity levels
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin. I am not trying to get pregnant but it was recommended for me for the folic acid and iron. I figure why not and when in it is time to start a family I'll already be in a routine.
    I also take biotin for my hair and nails.

As a college student I find that while I may eat under my calories it isn't always balanced. I also constantly battling low iron levels. My vitamins help me out
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    GNC Ultra Mega Green Womens' Multivitamin
    Probiotic Supplement
    2 Fiber Gummies