Scared to buy smaller sizes

Options
MeIShouldB
MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
Ok, recently I was taken on a little shopping spree as an early birthday gift. I brought A BUNCH of stuff in the dressing room to try on including a pair of shorts in my usual size and the same pair a size smaller and a dress a size smaller. Those 2 things fit, (could have gone down one more size in the dress) but after that I didn't try anything else in a smaller size. Frankly, I was scared. Scared to get a smaller size, have it fit in the dressing room, get it home, wash it, then it's too small. I'm still playing it pretty safe. Anybody had this issue?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Things shouldn't shrink that much when you wash them. If they do, you need to return them to the store for a refund.

Celebrate going down a size! It's a great accomplishment. Go home and gather up your bigger clothes and donate them so you don't have an excuse to gain any weight back.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    Things shouldn't shrink that much when you wash them. If they do, you need to return them to the store for a refund.

Celebrate going down a size! It's a great accomplishment. Go home and gather up your bigger clothes and donate them so you don't have an excuse to gain any weight back.

Well since I plan on shrinking some more I got the clothes from walmart. But I have that fear with anything cotton.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    If there is a top that just fits me correctly, I don't put it in the dryer, I hang it and let it air dry otherwise it shrinks each time I wash and dry the shirt.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    If there is a top that just fits me correctly, I don't put it in the dryer, I hang it and let it air dry otherwise it shrinks each time I wash and dry the shirt.

Good idea!!
  • mikemckinlay
    mikemckinlay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar problem.

just starting to get used to buying size 31 / 32 jeans and more fitted t-shirts which was a huge achievement although a bit scary. I also cleared out my wardrobe of my fat clothes that now fit me about as well as a large tent. Now my dilemma is to either put them in the attic for storage or do I bite the bullet and give to charity?

My advice would be to enjoy your new size and enjoy shopping for your new size.

And well done on your achievement :smile:
  • Hoosier_Kat
    Hoosier_Kat Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I agree. I always hang anything I think might shrink. It's also easier on the fabric than putting it through the dryer. I say, celebrate your accomplishments in whatever way suits you best. If it's buying that cute new dress, then go for it. If that causes too much anxiety for you, then maybe just take a few of your favorite current clothing items and have them altered/sized down. Just do whatever makes you feel good. This is a celebration after all, of your birthday, of your accomplishments, and of all your hard work.