Which fats are good fats

Options
I read alot of posts about going over on your fat but being under cals and all that. I go over my fat somtimes but I try to keep it low. I know things like advacado and nuts are good fats, Im guessing fats in things like sausages are bed?
My question is what about fat in eggs and milk? Good or bad?
Should I try to avoid fats from more procesed food and keep natural fats?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Trans fats and any fats that keep you from getting enough protein without going over your calorie goal are the only bad fats
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Trans-fat is the only "bad" fat. Some people on MFP are having success with a macro ratio of 50%+ fats.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Bacon fat good.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Fats from whole food are good. Meat, Eggs, Dairy.....
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Bacon fat good.
    [/quote

^^^^ THIS ^^^^]
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    Lol thanks guys ^^
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think the fat you want to avoid is the one made from those horrible oils and GMOs, pretty much! So mostly in processed stuff and fried foods (which IMO includes a lot of burgers unless they're grilled fat free!).

I watch my fat personally, but because fatty food has more calories, and because I have a history of reflux and stomach issues and I really don't want it to come back.
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Some fats are neseccary to have in your diet, such as unsaturated fat. Trans and staurated fat are the fats you want to avoid/consume less of in your diet.

Food sources of healthy fats:
    -Avacados
    -Almonds, peanuts, cashews, pistachios
    -trout, herring, salamon, tuna
    -seeds (chia, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower etc)
    -olives
    -peanut butter

The fats you want to avoid are those in processed "food" ie chips, pastries, fake cheeses, etc.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Trans fats (code words "partially hydrogenated") may be in prepackaged foods that say 0g trans fat as long as they have <0.5g per serving. So check the ingredients list!

Everything else is a ok
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Trans-fat is the only "bad" fat. Some people on MFP are having success with a macro ratio of 50%+ fats.

QFT. 50% of my daily cals come from fats.
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The healthy fats include extra-virgin olive oil, flax seed oil, and fats from plant sources such as nuts, seeds, avocados, and coconuts.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I warn you now it is long but filled with good info::
    Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health. monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats tend to be liquid (think of olive or corn oil)

GOOD FATS

Monounsaturated fat

Olive oil

Canola oil

Sunflower oil

Peanut oil

Sesame oil

Avocados

Olives

Nuts (almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews)

Peanut butter

Polyunsaturated fat

Soybean oil

Corn oil

Safflower oil

Walnuts

Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds

Flaxseed

Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines)

Soymilk

Tofu

Saturated fats and trans fats are known as the “bad fats” because they increase your risk of disease and elevate cholesterol.Appearance-wise, saturated fats and trans fats tend to be solid at room temperature (think of butter or traditional stick margarine).

BAD FATS

Saturated fat

High-fat cuts of meat (beef, lamb, pork)

Chicken with the skin

Whole-fat dairy products (milk and cream)

Butter

Cheese

Ice cream

Palm and coconut oil

Lard

Trans fat

Commercially-baked pastries, cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pizza dough

Packaged snack foods (crackers, microwave popcorn, chips)

Stick margarine

Vegetable shortening

Fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, breaded fish)

Candy bars

With so many different sources of dietary fat—some good and some bad—the choices can get confusing. But the bottom line is simple: don’t go no-fat, go good fat.

If you are concerned about your weight or heart health, rather than avoiding fat in your diet, try replacing saturated fats and trans fats with good fats. This might mean replacing some of the meat you eat with beans and legumes, or using olive oil rather than butter.

Try to eliminate trans fats from your diet. Check food labels for trans fats. Avoiding commercially-baked goods goes a long way. Also limit fast food.

Limit your intake of saturated fats by cutting back on red meat and full-fat dairy foods. Try replacing red meat with beans, nuts, poultry, and fish whenever possible, and switching from whole milk and other full-fat dairy foods to lower fat versions.

Eat omega-3 fats every day. Good sources include fish, walnuts, ground flax seeds, flaxseed oil, canola oil, and soybean oil.

Lastly you may ask yourself how much fat is too much. Well this depends on your lifestyle, your weight, your age and most importantly the state of your health. The USDA recommends that the average individual

Keep total fat intake to 20-35% of calories

Limit saturated fats to less than 10% of your calories (200 calories for a 2000 calorie diet)

Limit trans fats to 1% of calories (2 grams per day for a 2000 calorie diet)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health. monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats tend to be liquid (think of olive or corn oil)

GOOD FATS

Monounsaturated fat

Olive oil

Canola oil

Sunflower oil

Peanut oil

Sesame oil

Avocados

Olives

Peanut butter

Polyunsaturated fat

Soybean oil

Corn oil

Safflower oil

Walnuts

Flaxseed

Soymilk

Tofu

Saturated fats and trans fats are known as the “bad fats” because they increase your risk of disease and elevate cholesterol.Appearance-wise, saturated fats and trans fats tend to be solid at room temperature (think of butter or traditional stick margarine).

BAD FATS

Saturated fat

Chicken with the skin

Butter

Cheese

Ice cream

Palm and coconut oil

Lard

Trans fat

Stick margarine

Vegetable shortening

Candy bars

With so many different sources of dietary fat—some good and some bad—the choices can get confusing. But the bottom line is simple: don’t go no-fat, go good fat.

If you are concerned about your weight or heart health, rather than avoiding fat in your diet, try replacing saturated fats and trans fats with good fats. This might mean replacing some of the meat you eat with beans and legumes, or using olive oil rather than butter.

Try to eliminate trans fats from your diet. Check food labels for trans fats. Avoiding commercially-baked goods goes a long way. Also limit fast food.

Limit your intake of saturated fats by cutting back on red meat and full-fat dairy foods. Try replacing red meat with beans, nuts, poultry, and fish whenever possible, and switching from whole milk and other full-fat dairy foods to lower fat versions.

Eat omega-3 fats every day. Good sources include fish, walnuts, ground flax seeds, flaxseed oil, canola oil, and soybean oil.

Lastly you may ask yourself how much fat is too much. Well this depends on your lifestyle, your weight, your age and most importantly the state of your health. The USDA recommends that the average individual

Keep total fat intake to 20-35% of calories

Limit saturated fats to less than 10% of your calories (200 calories for a 2000 calorie diet)

Yeah, no.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Not all saturated fats are bad. In fact, MOST saturated fats are good.

The only bad fats out there are hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats and oils. Animal fats are great for you. As are coconut, avocado and nuts/nut butters.

The one important thing to note is that some oils are better for cooking than others. If you heat certain oils too much you can denature the fats and a good oil can become a bad oil. You're better off cooking with things like animal fat, butter or coconut oil and using olive oil for flavorings/salad dressings.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

GOOD FATS

Monounsaturated fat

Olive oil

Canola oil

Sunflower oil

Peanut oil

Sesame oil

Avocados

Olives

Peanut butter

Polyunsaturated fat

Soybean oil

Corn oil

Safflower oil

Walnuts

Flaxseed

Soymilk

Tofu

BAD FATS

Saturated fat

Chicken with the skin

Butter

Cheese

Ice cream

Palm and coconut oil

Lard

Trans fat

Stick margarine

Vegetable shortening

Candy bars

Keep total fat intake to 20-35% of calories (Editor's note: More is fine, don't go less than 20% however)

some good info, some not-so-good.

bolded are the incorrect points
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    Ok, wow lol. Thanks. I cant controll everything I eat, I not get to do the shopping at all, but I try to make the best of what I have. And we have started using coconut oil, which I think is awsome stuff ^^.