1000 Calories in 1 Hr of Zumba- Really?!

Options

Replies

• wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It's not really something I want to try. I'm way to klutzy for that

If you like to dance you should try a class. I am unco and was very unfit when I first went to a class and still enjoyed it and managed to keep my body moving for the entire hour. The instructor was very supportive and made it fun. But the class time nearest me doesn't fit with the rest of my life and I enjoy walking even more, so I rarely make it there.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    tour de france rider hit around 700 calories an hour from exercise. (so prob 850 total) and they are going at an intensity that is far greater than anyone on this forum can hope to achieve. so anyone claiming more than that should be insanely suspect as they are basically claiming they are able to outwork tour de france riders and are fooling themselves if they think they are doing that... (look at a lot of the replies above for examples, denial is a powerful thing)

so no, 1000/hour is not possible except in very rare circumstances.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I highly doubt anyone burns 1000/hour in Zumba or in any exercise. Maybe if the person is 400lbs???
    I use a Polar FT4 HRM, I'm 5'7" 174lbs and I burn about 550/hour when running, and that's when I'm pushing at my highest intensity.
    (Never tried Zumba before, but sometimes I dance in my living room ;) )
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0" and 132 lbs at the moment, and I have recently burned 670 calories in an hour of Zumba (mind you, I was killin' it!).

Based on that, and the fact that there are people that are much taller and heavier than me, I would believe that there are a few people who could consistently hit 1000 calories in an hour in Zumba.

That said, I'm guessing that there are a lot more people reporting that kind of burn than are actually burning that much.

best reply in here so far at the moment i am still at my highest of 288 was 306 when i started and use http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/ for calculation always on low setting but after 30 mins of zumba i sweat more then 30 mins on my crosstrainer

that page puts me at 894 in one hour on lowest intensity for my weight group
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yea keep doing those 1k cal workouts, and keep eating those 1k cals back, and let us know how you do in a few weeks LMAO
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam is advertised in the same way! The most I have ever burned from Turbo Jam is around 500 calories, and that is when I was about 30 pounds heavier than I am now.

On the other hand, I do have a friend who was wearing an HRM with chest strap who was actually pretty close to that 1000 calorie mark during the same workout.

So it really depends on the person. It's just that those outrageously high calorie burns are outliers and not the average...but they wouldn't sell as many home videos by telling you the average burn, lol.
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    At a difficult class, my heart rate is 165-185. I usually burn 550-680 and I've been to live classes regularly since Feb 2nd. I weigh 159#, 64"

I bet I burned way more when I had more fat/weight in the beginning. I've also been lifting and so I've backed off due to too much high intensity cardio.

Edited to add- I'm someone who likes to be up front and doesn't half azz my moves, so that's prob also why I burn high. When I go to an easy instructor, I'm steadily in 145-165 range.
  • kbeaumont88
    kbeaumont88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba a few times a week and I wear my HRM... I typically burn around 550... sometimes more, sometimes less... but on average 550. Last weekend I did 1.5 hours of Zumba and burned 954. I am 5'2 and currently 155.

38918848.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • SkeletonWishes
    SkeletonWishes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    unless your 400 pounds that is inaccurate. gym instructors love to yell out all these crazy numbers that more than half the time arent even right. when i was at my highest weight of 265 pounds i didnt burn anywhere near that and i really gave it my all.
  • SkeletonWishes
    SkeletonWishes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yea keep doing those 1k cal workouts, and keep eating those 1k cals back, and let us know how you do in a few weeks LMAO

lmao exactly, thank you for someone finally saying that! if ur eating all of the cals back that your burning off theres no point of exercising you are prob going to gain lol i did when i ate back all the cals burned. needless to say i purposely dont eat back a lot (if any) of what i burn off
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it really depends on your stats and the intensity you do Zumba at. I use a HRM and do pretty high intensity and normally average about 500 calories for the hour.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    No, you can't. Someone who weighs 140 lbs and runs 10 miles in an hour would burn 1000 calories. Vigorous exercise like that is around 7 METs (https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/conditioning-exercise), so even if your BMR is 2400 (i.e., 100 kcal/hour) you're only going to burn about 700-750/hr. HRMs don't measure caloric burns, they estimate it, and like anything, they can be way off.

If people want to believe they burned 1000 kcal/hr, there's no law against it, but if they eat that 1000 kcals back, they'll be unpleasantly surprised.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I think 1,000 calories for 1 hour is a pretty high estimate no matter which way you cut it. I am only 5'5" 132 lbs. so I don't know what the average burn is like for someone larger, but I just don't see it happening.
  • PelirrojaCrawley
    Options
    It all depends on the instructor. I had some workouts when I had problems walking out of the room afterwards :D , and some when I hardly sweated a drop and nearly fell asleep out of boredom ;)
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I've burned 740ish in 45 minutes of zumba - Zumba is how much effort YOU put into it, nothing more nothing less. I could do the same 30 minute session and burn 200 or 600 - thats a promise.
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Very true. Calorie burn really depends on the intensity of the workout.:smile:
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hiya, my mate has a heart monitor and connected calorie watch and she burns about 650 calories in an hour of Zumba. However, she works very hard all through the hour, puts everything into each move, digs deep, and really does perform every move to the best of her strength and ability.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've burned 740ish in 45 minutes of zumba - Zumba is how much effort YOU put into it, nothing more nothing less. I could do the same 30 minute session and burn 200 or 600 - thats a promise.

THIS!
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Pending two knee replacements, I don't exactly kill it! I use a HRM. At 5'6", 157 lbs, I burn around 420 calories in an hour.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 yrs old and about 300# - MFP gave me 1024 calories burned for 52 min of Zumba. I checked a zumba website and entered my info - saying I did it at the lowest input and it still gave me 882. It was quite a workout for me, as I haven't done any exercise for many years. So it's not the average, but it can happen.

And no - I didn't eat any of those calories, I actually deleted the entry because I let my fitbit do the adjustment; which ended up not being that much but I didn't do much walking that day.