1200 calorie menu ideas

Options
I am currently under a doctor's care in handling my weight loss needs. I work out 5 days a week, drink my water, and I am on a 1200 calorie diet (or lifestyle change).

My problem is coming up with new meal ideas for lunch and supper. I normally make out a 2 week menu for supper, and I am trying real hard to keep those meals low calorie and low carb. I really need more ideas, before my family gets totally bored of the same things over and over.

An example of my daily meal:

Breakfast:

2 pieces of turkey bacon
3 tablespoons of egg whites
sugar free decaf flavored coffee
fruit (like 10 grapes)

Lunch:

Turkey patty
1 cup broccoli
clementine orange

Supper:

Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Brown rice

Snacks:
Almonds 24

Total 965 calories

If any of you have some great yummy recipes please share, because I need all the help I can get. :-)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Personally if I was doing a lowish cal diet, I'd eat less often and just make one big dinner or something, gives you more wiggle room to make dishes

inb4em2lzealots
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back ur exercise calories? (not being judgy-just wondering how many calories I had to work with)
  • LilSCgirl
    Options
    I am doing the same amount of calorie diet. I do like Special K shake and snacks and eat a lot of fruit throughout the day. Give you more options for dinner. I normally do anything chicken or fish. How are you doing with your workout are you doing enough to gain more for your calorie intake. I was doing like 60 minute of cardio giving my self an extra 650-700 calories to work with boosting my calorie up to 1800-1900.
  • louise294
    louise294 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Stir fry's are a great option for something different which is low calorie

Try to get an much veg in there as possible (extra beansprouts will bulk it out even more), use a measured small amount of oil to stir fry lean meat or seafood, with plenty of ginger and garlic and spring onions for a really tasty dish.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MoniGram71
    MoniGram71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back ur exercise calories? (not being judgy-just wondering how many calories I had to work with)

No I try real hard to keep it at the 1200 calories, even when I gain exercise calories.
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    I am doing the same amount of calorie diet. I do like Special K shake and snacks and eat a lot of fruit throughout the day. Give you more options for dinner. I normally do anything chicken or fish. How are you doing with your workout are you doing enough to gain more for your calorie intake. I was doing like 60 minute of cardio giving my self an extra 650-700 calories to work with boosting my calorie up to 1800-1900.

I just finished the 30 day shred, and I walk daily after doing that, so I burn about 500 calories. So I do bring up my calorie intake, I am just trying real hard to stay at 1200.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    Stir fry's are a great option for something different which is low calorie

Try to get an much veg in there as possible (extra beansprouts will bulk it out even more), use a measured small amount of oil to stir fry lean meat or seafood, with plenty of ginger and garlic and spring onions for a really tasty dish.

Yes I have found Asian cuisine has been quite helpful in my meal planning as long as I keep my sodium intake down. With summer coming veggies will be more abundant to add to stir fries etc....
  • MoniGram71
    Options

Thank you, I will look into this...I am currently trying to make up my 2 week menu now and I still have 7 days to fill.
  • Chara221
    Chara221 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was going to say chicken lettuce wraps and then i noticed you already do them! But just in case you need to switch up the chicken the recipe, below is an awesome one! some tomatoes and sour cream and you'll think you're at taco bell! (craved them for a 4 days straight, i had them for lunch and dinner and ended up losing 5 lbs that wk!)
    http://www.chef-in-training.com/2011/09/cafe-rio-chicken/

My sister gave me this recipe if you're a fan of buffalo wings you'll like this recipe. I wish i could remember the website she got it from! I put them on salad, my sister likes them with rice and veggies.
    Buffalo Meatballs

1 lb ground turkey
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 egg
    2 oz cream cheese (optional)
    2 celery stocks chopped (DONT SKIP, even if you dont like celery, these make it)
    mix all together, make meatballs, cook at 350

heat 1/2 cup of Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce in a skillet, bake balls for 15 min, take out, roll in sauce, place back in the oven for 15 more min
    I usually use the extra sauce and pour it on the top, theres not usually a lot left
    I think it's a little over 100 calories for 2 depending on how big you make them. They are really easy to reheat for lunch the next day too.

I'm on the same plan as you, walking everyday burning about 460 calories and keeping my diet at 1200 calories a day regardless. I feel like i should have more recipes but those are the two that stick out the most to me right now.

Oh one more thing! If you're the type that can do breakfast for dinner or lunch, I like to do 3-4 pieces of turkey bacon in the oven so it's crunchy and 3 egg whites scrambled. It's really filling and satisfying and only 150 calories for the whole meal so i try to do that for lunch some times if i need more calories for dinner!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

Thank you, I will look into this...I am currently trying to make up my 2 week menu now and I still have 7 days to fill.

Also try Emilybites.com and Laaloosh.com
    Both have tons of lowcal/lowfat recipes and they are all really good.
  • louise294
    louise294 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    if you were to really get organised you could bulk cook, and freeze measured portions. I'm not quite organised enough myself but it would work out well for dishes like chilli con carne or veggie tagine, which you could calorie count everything that goes in and then divide it up and freeze it.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    1200 for the day or one meal?
  • Chara221
    Chara221 Posts: 4
    Options
    Also this is a great chicken recipe for a different flavor and still healthy if you have a grill!

Guam Chicken

Equal parts Vinegar & soy sauce (typically about 1 cup each)
    1 Tablespoon lemon Juice
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/3 Jar of Jalapenos w/ juice

Must sit for at least 2 hrs, best when marinating for at least 6 hrs.

• I do a little more vinegar than soy
    • I like it strong so I let it sit 12-24 hrs
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    I was going to say chicken lettuce wraps and then i noticed you already do them! But just in case you need to switch up the chicken the recipe, below is an awesome one! some tomatoes and sour cream and you'll think you're at taco bell! (craved them for a 4 days straight, i had them for lunch and dinner and ended up losing 5 lbs that wk!)
    http://www.chef-in-training.com/2011/09/cafe-rio-chicken/

My sister gave me this recipe if you're a fan of buffalo wings you'll like this recipe. I wish i could remember the website she got it from! I put them on salad, my sister likes them with rice and veggies.
    Buffalo Meatballs

1 lb ground turkey
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 egg
    2 oz cream cheese (optional)
    2 celery stocks chopped (DONT SKIP, even if you dont like celery, these make it)
    mix all together, make meatballs, cook at 350

heat 1/2 cup of Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce in a skillet, bake balls for 15 min, take out, roll in sauce, place back in the oven for 15 more min
    I usually use the extra sauce and pour it on the top, theres not usually a lot left
    I think it's a little over 100 calories for 2 depending on how big you make them. They are really easy to reheat for lunch the next day too.

I'm on the same plan as you, walking everyday burning about 460 calories and keeping my diet at 1200 calories a day regardless. I feel like i should have more recipes but those are the two that stick out the most to me right now.

Oh one more thing! If you're the type that can do breakfast for dinner or lunch, I like to do 3-4 pieces of turkey bacon in the oven so it's crunchy and 3 egg whites scrambled. It's really filling and satisfying and only 150 calories for the whole meal so i try to do that for lunch some times if i need more calories for dinner!

These sound great & I think my family would love them! Thanks so much!
  • MoniGram71
    Options

Also try Emilybites.com and Laaloosh.com
    Both have tons of lowcal/lowfat recipes and they are all really good.

Thanks again for the links :-)
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    if you were to really get organised you could bulk cook, and freeze measured portions. I'm not quite organised enough myself but it would work out well for dishes like chilli con carne or veggie tagine, which you could calorie count everything that goes in and then divide it up and freeze it.

That is a really good idea! More so for my lunches, since it's just me. Thanks for the great idea.
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    1200 for the day or one meal?

1200 for the day
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    Also this is a great chicken recipe for a different flavor and still healthy if you have a grill!

Guam Chicken

Equal parts Vinegar & soy sauce (typically about 1 cup each)
    1 Tablespoon lemon Juice
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/3 Jar of Jalapenos w/ juice

Must sit for at least 2 hrs, best when marinating for at least 6 hrs.

• I do a little more vinegar than soy
    • I like it strong so I let it sit 12-24 hrs

This sounds way yummy, what do you serve with it?