Best exercise for tummy?

Options
I want to lose about 15 pounds, especially in the tummy/love handle area. I was wondering if there are any specific exercises that are best for toning that area. I've heard crunches aren't really that great. Is cardio (like running, etc) my best bet?

Thanks.:smile:

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If the 'fat layer' is your problem, then cardio is the best bet. running is a great option. :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce your stomach. What you can do is lose weight and do exercises to tone the muscle. Eventually your stomach will be tighter.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I swear by my slender tone belt for my stomach. Its worked wonders for me in combination with exercise
  • RacheBell
    RacheBell Posts: 111
    Options
    Any kind of cardio will work, whether that be running/walking/elliptical/skating/bike riding. And if you are going to do actual "ab" exercises, then do the mountain climber, or bicycle cruches, and definatley the plank.

Drink lots of water, and avoid foods that make your belly bloat.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Pilates is fabulous! Ab Ripper from the P90X is great too... cardio is your best bet in combo with these... :) Best of luck!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with havingitall. From what I have read, as well as experienced myself, when I exercise by walking(let's say)then the fat comes off from all areas. That is if I'm eating a balanced diet(and usually 5 meals a day(2 being a snack of protein and a carb)drinking my water which is usually at least 8 glasses when I am doing it right. Sometimes my water intake is way more because when I sweat that means that water needs to be replaced. I also try to eat at least 2/3's of my exercise calories. That's just what works for me.

I just got back here about 7 days ago and I've lost 3 inches in my tummy. I was so surprised but when I first came to MFP I didn't drink enough water even though I was walking like crazy. I also was "not" eating any of my exercise calories. This time seems to really be going great. I'll be checkin in so keep you posted;) Denise:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Edited: PS I forgot to mention how fluctuating my calorie intake has also seemed to work well. Like one day I may eat 200 more calories then I should, but the next I'll eat a fewer than I need. That really happens more by accident then planning. But someone said that it is good to "trick" the metabolism. I know what it means but hard to explain. It's like building up a tolerance to aspirin and then it won't work anymore. I think it is something like that. If someone more knowledgeable than I reads this(shouldn't be hard to find someone like that, LOL!!!) maybe they can explain that better;)
    I want to lose about 15 pounds, especially in the tummy/love handle area. I was wondering if there are any specific exercises that are best for toning that area. I've heard crunches aren't really that great. Is cardio (like running, etc) my best bet?

Thanks.:smile:
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! One thing I do not do is drink enough water! Why does water help you to lose weight? Maybe if I knew the science behind that, I would be more motivated to drink it.:bigsmile:
  • hhenjum
    hhenjum Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to never be a water drinker but once you MAKE yourself do it you will LOVE it and you will WANT it !! Maybe add a sliced lemon in it to make it taste better too !!

My mid section is my problem too - I notice when I do cardio most I lose it from their big time as that is the main area I have sweat dripping off of me !! Good Luck!!