confused re BMR and suggested calories

Options
Ok I'm feeling a bit confused about how many calories I should be eating,

Previously my BMR was 1485 and my goal was set at 2lbs loss a week and the calories were suggested at 1380, I have lost 7kg/15lb in 5 weeks (was 84kg/18lb now 77kg/169lbs) my height is 5' 4"

I've just updated my weight and went to check if my BMR had changed it had to 1441, I changed my goal to 1lb a week (was a bit ambitious with 2lb a week and would rather overachieve by a bit instead of missing "goal") and the suggested calories went up to 1450.

The bit i'm confused about is should I be eating under my BMR? if not where does the deficit come in?

Any help would be welcome and if I'm being a bit dense sorry.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat LESS than your BMR. Your BMR is what you burn without any activity at all. This is why you eat less than that, so you can actually lose weight. When you exercise, you're creating an even bigger gap so you need to eat those back.
  • MaryBethD
    MaryBethD Posts: 13
    Options
    You should eat the suggested number or calories, or a few below it. The BMR calories will be the amount of calories you burn by simply breathing minus 500 calories (for the 2 lb a week weight loss. It is probably minus 250 for the 1 lb a week). You don’t want to take in too few calories or your body will go into starvation mode. I have been eating within 100 calories of what MFP has suggested and I have been losing weight. There is an article regarding this, I will see if I can find it and post it for you.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You should eat the suggested number or calories, or a few below it. The BMR calories will be the amount of calories you burn by simply breathing minus 500 calories (for the 2 lb a week weight loss. It is probably minus 250 for the 1 lb a week). You don’t want to take in too few calories or your body will go into starvation mode. I have been eating within 100 calories of what MFP has suggested and I have been losing weight. There is an article regarding this, I will see if I can find it and post it for you.

Minus 500 equals to one pound. 500 x 7 = 3500 which is 1 lb.
  • MaryBethD
    MaryBethD Posts: 13
    Options
    Here the post that I read when I had that same question -

OK, this will be long. Please read it if you are confused. Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or a doctor, just a successful loser and maintainer, who has consulted both doctors and dieticians.

Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.

Does that help? Please say it does.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just so you guys know (and yeah, MaryBeth's post is right on by the way), BMR is NOT maintenance calories. BMR is what people who are in the normal healthy weight area should be using as a baseline floor for calories if they want to lose a few lbs (or maybe a few above that) Your BMR is between 60 and 75% of your maintenance calories (for most of us).

If you are overweight or obese, you usually can safely go under your BMR for short stretches (weeks or even months at a time if done correctly), you should always, however, maintain proper nutrient intake (AKA micro nutrients or vitamins and minerals). Many people eat large deficits in order to lose massive amounts of weight quickly, little do they know that besides depriving your body of needed calories, you are also shorting yourself in nutrients which can (if sustained for months) lead to severe conditions including (but NOT limited to) vitamin deficiencies, anemia, extreme fatigue, hair loss, lack of sexual desire, constipation, dehydration, vascular problems, liver complications, kidney stones...etc. The list goes on and on and on.
    And I'm not talking about supplements, they are not the same as vitamins digested in food and don't work nearly as well as most people think they do.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your help I will be aiming for 1450 for a few weeks and I'll see where it gets me. :happy: