Retirement location recommendations?

Options
Hey everyone. My spouse and I are on the far cusp (meaning he's 60 and I'm in my late 50s) of retirement and we are starting to think about where we should retire. No family to consider, so it's just us. We are looking for someplace warm and dry. I would love to be able to take public transportation or ride a bike to locations I want to go to, rather than always driving a car. We aren't looking for a vast cultural offering although some would be nice. We are very open minded and enjoy many cultures, points of view and expressions of individualism.

I would love to hear recommendations from you on where you might suggest, and a few words why. The words from the horse's mouth are always more valuable than the travel mags, right?

Replies

• Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Boston has public transportation and sometimes ints warm & dry. We have goo pho too!:drinker:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Rift Valley, Kenya :-)
  • Havanablue
    Options
    My mother moved to Progreso, Mexico. A small beach town. She bought a 3 star hotel and has been enjoying herself for the past 20 years. Now at 75, she's ready to retire and has her hotel up for sale. She's enjoyed herself there immensely.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Colorado!!! BEAUTIFUL scenery out there....and it's the most fit state :)
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I live in Charleston SC.. the weather is usually warm and there is always something to do, they have a ton of retirement communities around and if you live downtown, biking is a good way to get around. Top hospitals and a beach are also a plus..
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Australia.
    Arizona.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    San Antonio, Texas.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My mother moved to Progreso, Mexico. A small beach town. She bought a 3 star hotel and has been enjoying herself for the past 20 years. Now at 75, she's ready to retire and has her hotel up for sale. She's enjoyed herself there immensely.

Oh buy the hotel! I'll come visit. :glasses: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    as someone living in texas due to work , i would say , avoid it like the plague, the drawbacks greatly out weigh the positives, and yes i know this comment is going to piss off the texans..

if you're trying to live economically in a warm climate, avoid florida, its too "cliche"
    however , i would STRONGLY reccomend you think about louisiana, i was amazed at the cost of living, and of course fishing is awesome, the gulf coast area, lake charles is fabulous, or any of the bedroom communities off there, westlake, etc ..
    lots of opportunity for biking hiking fishing etc, and COL is VERY low
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Austin, Texas. Public transportation is great, tons of outdoor activities, active community life for all types. It gets really hot in the Summer, though. Not sure why bethlaf said to avoid Texas like the plague but would be interested in her reasons. Not all Texas cities are alike.... Good luck.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    I live in central Florida - less than an hour from Tampa, and an hour from Orlando. Very convenient location. We have a lot of snow birds, and a ton of people who retire here. We have public bus systems, with plenty of stops. You'll find TONS of retirement communities that are merely footsteps from large shopping centers. In Winter Haven, you are surrounded by lakes... plenty of lakefront properties. We have boating, golfing, outdoor activities year round, and only an hour from the Gulf of Mexico. I've lived here my entire life. There's nothing like wearing shorts and flip flops in January.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am a South Carolina transplant and I am always amazed by our low cost of living, good weather, great food and friendly people. Charleston is a great walkable city and was recently named Best Destination on Earth by Conde Nast magazine. Nearby sister town Mt. Pleasant is still quite walkable with a lower cost of living.

My parents retired to SC in 2005 and my family came down in 07. We live in the middle of the state and are 2 hrs form the beach and 2 hrs from the mountains. If you have any questions just PM me :)
  • JessAilene86
    JessAilene86 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Austin, Texas. Public transportation is great, tons of outdoor activities, active community life for all types. It gets really hot in the Summer, though. Not sure why bethlaf said to avoid Texas like the plague but would be interested in her reasons. Not all Texas cities are alike.... Good luck.

I LOVE Austin. It's probably one of my favorite cities. You can eat gourmet for practically nothing. It's bike friendly and bus friendly, tons of music and festivals constantly. The parks are great, the shopping is awesome, tons of local food and shops to browse. It's a very youthful city. My second pick would have to be Pensacola, Florida only because I was born and raised there. Now with that said, I wouldn't recommend living there unless you are retired. It's nothing but retirement. lol The beaches though, are amazing. It's the only reason why I return there once a year. The whitest sands and the prettiest water. The weather is a little nicer than Austin when it comes to the heat. But those are just my preferences.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    ecuador is apparently very nice.
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who offered up your favorite places! It's so interesting to read what inspires you all. Or, if I'm going to move to the south, do I have to say "y'all"? I'm sure I'll have fun investigating some places. Thanks again.