Any Homemakers/SAHM Success Stories?

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Any homemaker/stay at home mom success stories? Pls. do share!

Replies

• kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Me!!! Well, I am on my way to my success story, but so far so good! I am a SAHM to a 2 year old girl and a 4 month old boy. I am on my 10th week of my journey and am down 21.4 lbs.!!!

I am breastfeeding my son exclusively, and was thinking that I could eat whatever I wanted and the weight would come off. Yeah, not so much for me. I was eating so much crap, and a lot of it, that my weight was at a standstill. I was at my highest weight (not counting my pregnancies) when I went for my 6 week check after giving birth. So I decided that since I was cleared for exercise, I was going to start being a healthier mom and wife. I started, and will never look back. I have a lot more energy, I feel better about myself, and I am just a better mom all around!

Since I am breastfeeding, I have my calorie goal set at 1800, and then I eat back majority of my exercise calories. Breastfeeding is super important to me, so that needs to be first and foremost during this journey. I have mostly been making healthier choices, but still eat things that I enjoy, just less of it at a time lol. I also workout twice a day. I do a workout video in the morning (right now I am on week 3 of Jillian Michaels RI30) which is only about a half hour from warm up to cool down, and in the afternoon/evening I do the elliptical for 24 minutes (trying to steadily increase). My husband is in the Air Force and can work long hours, so my workouts need to be short and done at home. So far this has worked for me. Once my 4 month old gets a little older, I will be going to the gym on base to start some heavy lifting (hopefully). I am also trying to get into running, so when my husband is able to watch the kids and I have a free 20 minutes, I go out and run a couple of miles instead of doing the elliptical.

It really is doable, even with a busy schedule. I only workout for less than an hour a day, and am having very encouraging results.

I still have about 20 or so pounds to go. I will re-evaluate when I get there. For now, though, I am enjoying the journey and seeing what losing weight the healthy weigh feels like (it's awesome)! Can't wait to post before and afters!!!

Edited since I apparently don't know what video I'm doing lol :ohwell:
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm on my way too!

I have 4 children, my last was born a year ago. In between pregnancies I would "settle" around 195 pounds. I'm 5'8". I tried a few things to lose the weight inbetween but never really took the bull by the horns, and once I got prego again, I'd just go back to inactivity and eating whatever I wanted.

Last July, I signed up for a boot camp, but still ate whatever I wanted. Then I signed up for MFP around August. I resisted every step of the way!! I lost a little, but wasn't doing any exercise, and wasn't staying true to counting.

Then in October, I started a class at my church called First Place 4 Health, it was run at the same time as the kids group at church, so I could leave the kiddos and take the class. This was the real changer for me - because I have a relationship with Jesus, I was able to turn to him to help me resist temptation, appreciate the beautiful food and body he gave me and to respect it and not do this body harm!! I've grown closer to God through all this AND I've lost weight as I've been able to make better decisions and to feel empowered rather than denied about the choices I make.

I started doing 30 day shred January 1st. Completed that and moved right into Insanity. I've lost 38 pounds TOTAL - through a big combination of things. I have 17 pounds left to go (give or take...we'll see how it actually looks once I get there).

I did my exercises either during nap time or after bedtime. Mornings were out as the kids would wake as soon as they heard me go downstairs. I originally rejected workig out at night feeling that I was too tired, but it came down to: I really want this, and there is NO other time in my day to do it so - DO IT! :)

That's my story! Hopefully in a few months I will be able to give a "proper" success story -- so far, it's still a progress story! :)
  • mein2007
    mein2007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM and I am almost to maintaining!
  • sweetcheeks1978
    Options
    Hiya

I am a SAHM of 2 girls age 5 and 3, I've lost 50lbs so far and have another 30lbs to go. Initially all I did was cut back on my portion sizes and exercised 3 times a week (body attack/high impact aerobics). After a few months getting in the groove, I started to include Spin classes and that is when the weight really started to fall off.

The last 30lbs has taken a while so have come to MFP's which has great support and have also recently started using weights (kettlebell)...whilst am not seeing great changes on the scales my body is changing, more toned!

Whatever you do include some weight training, it will make a difference, I am a convert after doing purely cardio for the last couple of years!!!

Feel free to add me, I'll cheer you on your journey.

Good luck!
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
  • pmermakov
    pmermakov Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Kts3639, your story especially caught my attention because I have a 4 month old born on December 6th. Please add me as a friend. I also exclusively breast feed.

I am a stay at home mom of 3. I have started losing weight at the beginning of March. My older kids are in school, so after they leave I either walk or jog pushing my baby in the jogger. I also work out at Curves. The first couple weeks were very hard because I felt very hungry and wanted sweets. It has gotten easier after getting off sugar. I can now stay under my calorie goal. I've lost over 10 pounds and hope to lose another 30!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!