1200 calorie menu ideas

Options

Replies

• Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I was sticking to 1200-1300 calories up until this week when I bumped up to 1400. My diary is open if you'd like to check it out and get some ideas. Message me for any recipes that you're interested in (:
  • Chara221
    Chara221 Posts: 4
    Options
    Back before i was shedding for my wedding, is was kind of a BBQ type meal, baked beans and potato salad! ha, but now i would probably do rice and a vegetable. Maybe if there is a healthy pasta or potato salad recipe out there, that would be good. Grilled asparagus would be good too! (or grilled any vegetable you prefer)
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    cookinglight.com a lot of good meal ideas, all recipes have nutririon info, I subscribe to their magazine and have some cookbooks, good real food lightened up
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Do you net 1200??
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd go see a dietitian. A good one will give you a more appropriate calorie goal and food/meal ideas.
  • jessiwebb
    jessiwebb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200 calories as well, though I eat back *most* of what I eat with exercise. My diary is open if you'd like to have a look and see what I do for dinner. Some of my favorites are BBQ Chicken Pizza, Turkey Meatballs w/ choice potato, Taco salad with lettuce instead of the shells... :)

Also, just a side note: if you add in a lot of veggies to any meal, or snack on them throughout the day, you get more calories at the end for dinner. :) Eating more meals throughout the day will help keep you from feeling hungry due to the low cal lifestyle.
  • MoniGram71
    MoniGram71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will take a look at your diary. :-)

I was sticking to 1200-1300 calories up until this week when I bumped up to 1400. My diary is open if you'd like to check it out and get some ideas. Message me for any recipes that you're interested in (:
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    Do you net 1200??

I try to stay under my 1200 calories, or if I have earned from working out, right about 1200.
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    Thanks I will take a look at it now. Any new ideas is great!

I'm eating 1200 calories as well, though I eat back *most* of what I eat with exercise. My diary is open if you'd like to have a look and see what I do for dinner. Some of my favorites are BBQ Chicken Pizza, Turkey Meatballs w/ choice potato, Taco salad with lettuce instead of the shells... :)

Also, just a side note: if you add in a lot of veggies to any meal, or snack on them throughout the day, you get more calories at the end for dinner. :) Eating more meals throughout the day will help keep you from feeling hungry due to the low cal lifestyle.
  • MBPooch
    MBPooch Posts: 2
    Options
    I tend to eat two smaller meals while at work and then my larger meal when I get home which gives me a lot more options as far as cooking. It's working for me, but I have also heard that saving all of your calories for the end of the day makes it harder to lose weight. I lose about 2lbs a week but if I ever slow down my larger supper is going to switch places with one of my smaller meals. The larger supper just makes it easier to eat with my husband (who is eating healthier, but not watching his calorie intake) and friends on the weekend which is super important to me not giving up on weight loss.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    How many times a day do you eat? 3 meals a day? How many times do you snack? I do 3 meals plus 3 snacks and I like to make ALL of them about the same amount of calories. It seems to make it easier for me. If you want more at dinner, just take away a snack or two. If you did 6 "eating" times that would be about 200 calories each. Stay away from those 100 calorie snack packs, they won't fill you up. I mean the 100 calorie packs of cookies or whatever. Instead look for nuts to snack on or a half a sandwich. Throw away the idea of "thats a snack food" or "thats a breakfast food" and just eat. There is nothing wrong with having cheese and crackers for dinner or breakfast (I'd add some grapes or another fruit, too), just increase the portion size to what calories fit for you.
  • lauramcconnell7535
    lauramcconnell7535 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a lot of roasted veggies,
    - 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
    - 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    - chopped garlic
    - dried chili pepper flakes
    - pepper
    - asparagus
    - sliced red pepper
    - sliced onion
    (the ones I didn't put amounts for you can use to taste)
    they are low cal and very yummy, you can change up some of the veggies too, I often use zucchini or eggplant.

lots of luck
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat two smaller meals while at work and then my larger meal when I get home which gives me a lot more options as far as cooking. It's working for me, but I have also heard that saving all of your calories for the end of the day makes it harder to lose weight. I lose about 2lbs a week but if I ever slow down my larger supper is going to switch places with one of my smaller meals. The larger supper just makes it easier to eat with my husband (who is eating healthier, but not watching his calorie intake) and friends on the weekend which is super important to me not giving up on weight loss.

That's just a myth, don't worry about it. Eat whenever you prefer.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I love making shrimp skewers lately. I get a 20 oz bag of raw shrimp, marinate them, and then stick 2 oz on each of 10 skewers. That makes each skewer right around 100 calories (depending on which recipe you're using) and you can eat as many or as few as fit your needs. Here are the two recipes I've been making:

Pesto Skewers:

Garlic - Raw, 1 clove minced
    Kraft Cheese - 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 1/4 cup
    Oil - Vegetable, canola, 3 tbsp
    Herbs - Basil- Raw, 15 grams
    Rainbow Seafood Company - Shrimp - Extra Large, Raw, Tail on, Peeled & Cleaned, 20 oz. raw

Soak 10-12 skewers in water. Blend up the first 4 ingredients in the food processor with salt and pepper. Toss in the shrimp to coat. Place about 5 shrimp per skewer. Heat grill (I use a cast iron skillet with raised ridges like a grill, if you do that just spray it liberally with cooking spray) and place skewers on for about 3-4 minutes per side or until shrimp are pink.

It's different every time because the amount of shrimp is never exact, but it should be around 90 calories per skewer

Garlic Lime Skewers

Generic - Lime Zest, 1 tsp
    Spices - Cumin, 0.5 tsp
    Spices - Oregano, dried, 0.5 tsp
    Salt - Table , 0.5 teaspoon
    Oil - Vegetable, canola, 2 tbsp
    Lime juice - Raw, 1 lime yields
    Garlic - Raw, 3 cloves minced
    Kirkland Signature - Raw Shrimp - Tail on (31-40/Pkg 680 g), 20 oz

Mix first 7 ingredients in a bowl. Toss shrimp to coat. Marinate for 3-4 hours. Place on skewers and grill until shrimp are cooked through. Last time I made these they were 81 calories per skewer (5 shrimp each).
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Do you net 1200??

I try to stay under my 1200 calories, or if I have earned from working out, right about 1200.

OP, I'm not sure that you understand what she means by net? Correct me if I'm wrong? It sounds like you are trying to stay at 1200 or below regardless of exercise, which you estimated at around 500. So, on a day where you are eating 1200 calories, but burning 500, your net would be 700.
    Do you eat back ur exercise calories? (not being judgy-just wondering how many calories I had to work with)

No I try real hard to keep it at the 1200 calories, even when I gain exercise calories.
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Saving for recipes :)
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    1 cup fresh spinach. Sauteed. Add 1 large egg (or two egg whites). Cook on medium heat so it cooks fast while you shape it into whatever your bread item is. Add a little shredded cheddar. Cover and reduce heat to melt. I use Thomas' whole wheat bagel thins, toasted with no butter or spread. About 250 calories and very yummy. Oh, I don't use any salt but I do add black pepper.

Good luck. I'd be a wreck if I netted only 700 calories a day. (I'm on 1220/day and eat back my burned calories. Losing 2 pounds a week so far x4 weeks.)
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    How many times a day do you eat? 3 meals a day? How many times do you snack? I do 3 meals plus 3 snacks and I like to make ALL of them about the same amount of calories. It seems to make it easier for me. If you want more at dinner, just take away a snack or two. If you did 6 "eating" times that would be about 200 calories each. Stay away from those 100 calorie snack packs, they won't fill you up. I mean the 100 calorie packs of cookies or whatever. Instead look for nuts to snack on or a half a sandwich. Throw away the idea of "thats a snack food" or "thats a breakfast food" and just eat. There is nothing wrong with having cheese and crackers for dinner or breakfast (I'd add some grapes or another fruit, too), just increase the portion size to what calories fit for you.

I eat 5 times...breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper. I only eat either yogurt or almonds for my snacks.
  • MoniGram71
    Options
    Do you net 1200??

OP, I'm not sure that you understand what she means by net? Correct me if I'm wrong? It sounds like you are trying to stay at 1200 or below regardless of exercise, which you estimated at around 500. So, on a day where you are eating 1200 calories, but burning 500, your net would be 700.
    Do you eat back ur exercise calories? (not being judgy-just wondering how many calories I had to work with)

No I try real hard to keep it at the 1200 calories, even when I gain exercise calories.

Oh okay I understand...