Deployed Troops & Cookies

Options
LishieFruit89
LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
I've got a few friends from college who are deployed to Afghanistan and I want to send them some cookies.

I've asked my mother for suggestions since she was deployed to Kuwait & Iraq a couple of years ago and all I got was "nothing with chocolate, peanut butter cookies and maybe those applesauce ones" (the applesauce ones are from a 1982 edition of Fannie Farmer that she's never made but I have lol)

She gave me tips on how to pack them so they'd survive the trip.
I plan on asking my grandmother tomorrow when I see her but I thought I'd reach out and get some ideas.

I plan on making peanut butter cookies for sure.
But I was thinking of making macaroons (I got some coconut laying around) and oatmeal raisin...
I've got an arsenal of gluten free flour plus your regular ingredients. Cinnamon chips, various chocolate chips, butterscotch chips

I just need some ideas and/or recipes so I can make a decision & start a baking spree on Sunday. So please, I need your cookie recipes!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The Navy guys love these cookies, I make them for pretty much every event we go to because if I don't everyone is disappointed.

White Chocolate Snickerdoodles

1 cup margarine or butter
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    3 oz white chocolate instant pudding mix
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 2/3 cup flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 cups white chocolate chips
    1 tsp cinnamon

Cinnamon and sugar for rolling

Mix ingredients in order except for cinnamon and sugar for rolling. Mix cinnamon and sugar on a plate. Scoop out cookies, roll in cinnamon sugar, and place on greased baking sheet. Press to flatten. Because of the pudding mix the cookies will not melt at all so whatever shape they are is the shape they will be when cooked. Bake for 10-13 minutes at 350 degrees.
  • mchase79
    mchase79 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They're right about the no chocolate rule. Melts too much during the trip over there. Back when I was in Afghanistan, I really dug it when friends and family would send beef snacks like jerky and slim jims. Don't get me wrong though, home made cookies were the bomb as well.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Mchase, the guys have only said cookies, magazines, and I got a book request from one of the guys. I enjoy baking and I feel it's a little more thought than just beef jerky - I mean I can grab stuff like that as well... What types of cookies were you sent?

Amber, how well would those keep & ship?
    I know white chocolate (isn't actually chocolate) has a different consistency than regular chocolate chips...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Mchase, the guys have only said cookies, magazines, and I got a book request from one of the guys. I enjoy baking and I feel it's a little more thought than just beef jerky - I mean I can grab stuff like that as well... What types of cookies were you sent?

Amber, how well would those keep & ship?
    I know white chocolate (isn't actually chocolate) has a different consistency than regular chocolate chips...

I'm not sure but I do know they won't melt in the oven.

I was able to send chocolate to my husband but I think the rules are different for subs. I picked chocolate that wasn't prone to melting (m&ms and york peppermint patties) and he said none of it was melted. I'd be more worried about things getting crushed, but they guys will still eat them regardless.

If you are concerned maybe try regular snickerdoodles. That's another of my husband's favorites.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I have a way to pack hem to prevent crushing as much as possible haha
    its not a rule I can't send chocolate - it was a suggestion from my mother lol
    but I think a cookie with cocoa powder will be fine - just no chips.
    I'll try your recipe out Amber, if they melt, they'll let me know lol
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    I suggest you check out Anysoldier.com
    There are certain things they can and can't have shipped to them.
    Home made food being one of them. Due to the risk of getting sick from home made items.
    It's a great website. I have sent many things over seas
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I suggest you check out Anysoldier.com
    There are certain things they can and can't have shipped to them.
    Home made food being one of them. Due to the risk of getting sick from home made items.
    It's a great website. I have sent many things over seas

During both of my mothers deployments, my gram sent her homemade cookies all of time and there was never any issue. My mother shared them with her unit as well without problem.

ETA: The website you linked seems to be a way to help the troops in general if you don't know someone overseas or want to be extra generous. Not sending homemade items to a stranger is logical. I'm however sending items to three good friends from college.