Hashbrowns

Options
I have been craving have sounds like crazy please send me any healthy recipes for them so I don't have to go to IHOP and get the card loaded with fat.

Replies

• Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Dice up a potato (with or without skins) into small cubes, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, add salt and pepper, and fry them in a pan until golden brown.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I grate mine with a grater to hash brown like size, sprinkle salt and pepper on them and cook them on the griddle with cooking spray. They are yummy and not loaded with oil and fat.
  • Squishybooty
    Squishybooty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do the same but I also add a little paprika. It gives them a yummy smokey flavour. Mmmmmm......... now I want hashbrowns.
  • mrsblinn
    mrsblinn Posts: 5
    Options
    do you shred them and cook them from raw or do you boil them first I've heard it both ways
  • jcs225
    jcs225 Posts: 7
    Options
    I use the shredder in my food processor. I have found that rinsing the potatoes after shredding to get the extra starch off makes them crispier with less oil. So, I pop the shreds in a bowl, cover them with water, and then pour the water off through a fine sieve right before cooking. That way they don't get gummy when I use very little oil.

I also love making the home-fries (diced or sliced) potatoes in the oven with rosemary and olive oil. I just throw the potato in a loaf pan, toss in a little olive oil, and add the herbs. The whole house smells good and my husband doesn't miss the sour cream or cheese.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon mixed in...

Made this last weekend...I shredded a potato and then sprayed with a little olive oil spray; put a few pieces of uncooked turkey bacon in mini blender and pureed Turkey bacon; then, mixed it together w potato, doused with pepper, garlic salt and lawry's seasoning and pan sauteed and then finished w quick bake on 400 -- tasted like corn beef hash! AMAZING and not nearly the calories it tasted like it should have been! I only ate a few spoonfuls and was totally satisfied! Husband and kids killed the batch fast!