Good way to burn belly fat.

Options
Okay, I've been dieting and taking long walks daily and I'm burning fat all over, but I really want to target my belly. What's some good exercises for targettting lower tummy fat? Also, I heard something about foods that help burn fat cells or something, what are they?

Replies

• ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Running. It's so good for you. C25K is a brilliant plan to help you get going!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can't. Your body picks where fat comes from when. Exercising a specific area will only improve the muscle underneath it, not burn the fat. Your body doesn't use the fat store in the area you're exercising as fuel, it gets it from all over.
  • RedfishGuy
    RedfishGuy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been dieting and taking long walks daily and I'm burning fat all over, but I really want to target my belly. What's some good exercises for targettting lower tummy fat?

I like doing reverse kitchen pushaways to target my abs.

Just kidding, just burn fat and get leaner, your mid-section will take care of itself.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Nope, you can't spot reduce. Cannot be done. The body gets rid of fat where it sees fit. Just keep at it, thats all you can do.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You can't. Your body picks where fat comes from when. Exercising a specific area will only improve the muscle underneath it, not burn the fat. Your body doesn't use the fat store in the area you're exercising as fuel, it gets it from all over.

This! You can't specifically burn fat in one part of your body. Your body chooses where it takes the fat from and normally the belly is the last to go. Especially as a female, the belly is the last to go usually.

Depending on how close you are to goal it might be good to switch to a heavy lifting routine (which is good to do throughout the whole weight loss process!). Lifting heavy helps you retain muscle. Heavy lifting while combined with a slight calorie surplus will help build muscle which makes for a smaller body.
  • JT219
    JT219 Posts: 19
    Options
    i've been doing crunches on my yoga ball
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    i've been doing crunches on my yoga ball

Which might improve the muscle in that area, but you won't see it with a layer of fat over it....
  • tlbohnert
    tlbohnert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I never knew that.. thank you. It makes sense to me. My personal trainer, trains me hard once a week and she says the same thing. I thought it was because she thought that I wasn't happy with the scope of training she was giving. I thought that if I targeted the belly, sit ups, crunches then it would leave there first, but I am losing it all over. What do ya' know, she is right :) She is my little sister, it's hard enough to train under her but for her to be right all of the time too.. who would have thought :) She trains me once a month then I exercise 4 days per week and eat right. (or at least, try)
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    Everybody's right, you can't specifically exercise to burn fat from one spot. MUFAs (monounsaturated fats) are supposed to be the best fast for getting rid of a mush-a-belly (my pet name for my baby belly). As with everything out there though, take it with a grain of salt.

I do like the reverse kitchen pushaways ideas :)
  • anasayssmile
    Options
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the info, everyone. :)