greek vs regular

Options
what is the big deal with the greek yogart? is it suppose to be healthier or something?

Replies

• BrofessorDumbelldore
    Options
    I like to go greek
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Not sure about that, I simply think it tastes better.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is popular, not only because of the good bacteria like you find in regular yogurt, but it's also extremely high in protein. I used to only like Yoplait Original Regular Yogurt(170 calories/5 g protein/2g fat), kept trying new Greek yogurts as they came out & finally found one I liked, Oikos Traditional (160 calories/11g protein/5g fat). Saw a new Greek yogurt & decided to give it a try & really like it...Fage Total 0% w/Raspberry (120 calories/13g protein/0g fat). So w/gradual changes, I've cut 50 mostly fat calories from my breakfast, but more than doubled my protein intake. Everyone has different tastes, find something YOU like, but don't close the door to a healthy upgrade as new products come out.

Don't know about you, but I'm always struggling to get my recommended amount of protein.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    High in protein but personally i think it tastes disgusting. Flavoured or not.

It's also super dense, therefore you get a good mouth workout
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's amazing! It really taste good. I never liked regular yogurt because it was watery and overly sweet. Greek yogurt is really thick ( think 35% fat regular yogurt) and tart. The Danone Lime oikos is one of the best thing I've ever tasted. Plus it's higher in protein!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt. Not only is it a great protein source, but you can find a huge variety of flavors. We've also started using it as a replacement for cream/sour cream in recipes and even mix it with ranch seasoning to make a healty dip for veggies.
  • IFlover90
    IFlover90 Posts: 62
    Options
    Greek yogurt with oatmeal and cinnamon. Yummy!
  • kt_kat_88
    kt_kat_88 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is popular, not only because of the good bacteria like you find in regular yogurt, but it's also extremely high in protein. I used to only like Yoplait Original Regular Yogurt(170 calories/5 g protein/2g fat), kept trying new Greek yogurts as they came out & finally found one I liked, Oikos Traditional (160 calories/11g protein/5g fat). Saw a new Greek yogurt & decided to give it a try & really like it...Fage Total 0% w/Raspberry (120 calories/13g protein/0g fat). So w/gradual changes, I've cut 50 mostly fat calories from my breakfast, but more than doubled my protein intake. Everyone has different tastes, find something YOU like, but don't close the door to a healthy upgrade as new products come out.

Don't know about you, but I'm always struggling to get my recommended amount of protein.

yeah i struggle with my protein also. i like the yoplait coconut greek yogurt and add mini choc chips to it. i know it adds sugar by doing that but it tastes good. havent tried any other flavors yet.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

yeah i struggle with my protein also. i like the yoplait coconut greek yogurt and add mini choc chips to it. i know it adds sugar by doing that but it tastes good. havent tried any other flavors yet.

I had a bad 1st exp with greek but due to threads I tried it I think yesterday and it was good. I am not going to jump up and down like it was as sweet and easy to eat as the other yogurt I am so used to eating. However, it was so rich, and creamy and I was able to add some things to it that added calories to it and were good for me. I will definitely only buy greek from now on. Below is my 2nd attempt at greek and it was heaven!

Oikos Caffe Latte Greek Yogurt
    3 squares Green & Black's 85% Dark Chocolate (i finely shaved it and added in)
    1/8 cup Chopped Hazelnuts

calories 318, Fat 19, protein 14, sodium 48, fiber 3
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    More proteins and less sugar as a whole (unless you buy the junk with flavors obviously). Keeps me full much longer personally.
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have jumped on the Greek yogurt bandwagon - it is what I eat for breakfast every weekday morning. I like Chobani with fruit on the bottom. I do not like the plain by itself , it has too much "bite" but I often use it while cooking. You can substitute it in lots of recipes for its higher fat counterparts - cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, etc. It is high protein, low cal, fat free...I love it!
  • severnc
    severnc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    the protein factor is big
    also, a lot of greek yogurts also have active cultures you don't find in normal "yoplait-type" yogurt. it's called "probiotics" and can help with bodily functions particularly in the digestive system. that is why it tastes so much more tart than normal yogurt.
  • sjeffr
    sjeffr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Love greek yogurt. My preference is the Fage plain, no fat with a little added honey. Sometimes strawberries too. YUM!
  • leantonedliz
    Options
    It has a lot more protein and is thicker and creamer. Much tastier than normal yogurt which to me, tastes very thin and liquidy now that I'm used to eating Greek.

My favorite brand is Fage for plain 0%, Chobani for flavors (peach, apple cinnamon, and blood orange are the best).
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    More protein, but it simply tastes SO MUCH BETTER. I eat plain Fage 2% with Trader Joe's pecan praline granola. Best snack ever!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I hate the texture of regular yogurt. Greek is definitely more dense (as mentioned above). Greek yogurt is also easier to digest if you're lactose intolerant, which I'm just so fortunate enough to be.
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    I make Easi yo greek yogurt by the kg at home .It's full of good bacteria and very thick and creamy.delish:smile:
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I started eating it due to the High Protein I dont eat much meat anymore and I eat the 2percent fat to get some fat also and I like the way it tastes I mix it in with my oatmeal in the morning and dip my apples and banannas it it for a afternoon snack. High Protein low fat and low sugars.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    It is an acquired taste.
    I just tried Yopa Black Cherry with Granola.
    Very yummy.
    The fruit cuts right through that thickness everyone is talking about.
    It's fat free and the granola is whole grain.
    So at 180 calories it's nutritious, filling and yummy! :smile: