Allergies messing with my schedule :explode:

Options
Pollen is up here in Florida and the sneezing, watery eyes, nose running when 1 nostril isn't stopped up were driving me nuts! SoI asked my friends and they suggested Zyrtec. Took it Wed night for 1st time before bed and I did not want to wake up to get my son off to school :grumble: I went back to bed which I havent done since I began this and woke up a few hrs later to remain groggy all day :angry: I am already a super duper lazy person so I def did not do anything but veg out on the sofa all day yesterday. I am feeling the same way today.

What do you use to deal with this issue that I have no knowledge of that is an OTC option for me to purchase and try? I see so many choices but I seriously dont want to experiment through all of them solo. PLZ do not rec I go to the doctor I cannot afford to. TY in advance! :drinker:

Replies

• BrofessorDumbelldore
    Options
    I am already a super duper lazy person
    PLZ do not rec I go to the doctor I cannot afford to

I wonder if there is any correlation
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Nope I am just lazy. I have plenty of energy and other than the reaction to this zyrtec I could easily exercise and I have a little. I have to literally make myself get up put my shoes on and do it lol My mind tells me I really want to and I always feel awesome after I do but my body says...ohhh you are so comfy here sitting on the sofa lol
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Heh.

You know, they do have non-drowsy antihistamines...
    Cetirizine (Reactine), Desloratadine (Aerius) etc.

ETA:
    Scratch that (pun intended) the one you listed IS a non-drowsy. Zyrtec is cetirizine.
    Never heard of effects like that. You must be special.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Heh.

You know, they do have non-drowsy antihistamines...
    Cetirizine (Reactine), Desloratadine (Aerius) etc.

Is that the names of them? I will try them if I can find them. I never had this issue before so the most I know about allergies is Benadryl
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    See my edit above. Maybe try Aerius.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    See my edit above. Maybe try Aerius.

Will do TY and the box says do not operate machinery may make drowsy but I didnt think it would affect me so much.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I use alavert, and I love it. It works great!
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Zyrtec is supposed to be a non-drowsy medication. I take mine of a morning, and have no issues with being sleepy whatsoever. Allergies are a pain in the *kitten* though. You might try adding a Tbsp or 2 of natural, local honey to your diet. It can help with your allergies. But it has to be local honey, not what most grocery stores have, maybe try the local farmer's market.

You could also try Clariten (sp?), it is supposed to be a non-drowsy medication.
  • missmaggie369
    Options
    Try taking the Zyrtec at night, before you go to bed. (I am a pharmacy technician)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, I would have said Sudafed, but since pseudophedrine isn't available like it used to be, I've tried some other things. The best one for me has been Claritin, though it does make me feel loopy for some odd reason. I like it better than Zyrtec.

*edited to add - Also, try blowing your nose immediately after a hot shower. I find the heated moisture is really good at breaking all the stuff up and helps me clear my sinuses out, and I'm pretty sure doing that has lessened my symptoms. You could also try the Neti pot. A friend of mine raves about it, but it's not really for me. You never know, though, you may prefer it. It looks something like this. Of course, this is the more holistic approach to allergies.

6yikxs.png
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Zyrtec is supposed to be non-drowsy but I have heard of it making people drowsy like this sometimes too. I use Allegra (fexofenadine) and have no side effects from it, it's a one a day pill so you could take at night if you notice any issues. Good luck, my allergies have been brutal all week too!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Try taking it earlier. There is also a Rx called Zyzal which is Zrytec without the ingredients that make you drowsy. Unfortunately not OTC, but an amazing allergy drug. I suffer from allergies too living in Texas. Good luck.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I tried Zyrtec and it too made me drowsy. I am currently on a generic form of Claritin. This seems to work for me so far. I have friends that are on some form of Claritin-D as well. Maybe you should try this. I take mine first thing in the morning, after I am up and out of bed. :) Good luck!
  • curvysunshine
    curvysunshine Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Allegra is a godsend. I have really bad runny nose itchy eyes sneezing to death type allergies, and if I take benadryl I'd better be within 10 feet of a bed, because that stuff makes me feel like I'm high. I feel like my head is underwater and I can't think straight, and I'm so utterly tired. Allegra is the only thing I've found that works for me. Here's a stupid thing: In zyrtec commercials they make a huge deal about OH YOU CAN'T TAKE ALLEGRA WITH FRUIT JUICE! like it will kill you. The only thing that happens is the medicine bonds to the juice and just flushes out instead of working. So take it with water. :P
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sinus rinsing? Cheaper than drugs and there is a squeeze bottle set that is much easier to deal with than some other solutions. Unfortunately that doesn't do it for everyone though. Also, if you do need a pill, everyone's body can react differently to meds so you might just have to try a few. I would try Claritin or Allegra.
  • armesser
    armesser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking either Allegra-D or Claritin-D. The "D" is important! It will help open you up. You will have to ask the pharmacist for it, but it is NOT prescription. They just have to keep it behind the counter in most states because it contains pseudoephedrine, which people use to make meth. I HIGHLY recommend the ones with pseudoephedrine as opposed to the ones that you can just pick up on the shelves. It works much faster and more efficiently for me. If you have any heart/high blood pressure issues you should check with your doc first though. I've been dealing with the same thing...I'm hoping the rain we had yesterday will help!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I can take Zyrtec without getting the least bit drowsy, but my hubby almost falls asleep when he takes it. If he needs something during the day, Claritin does not make him tired (he is super senstive to meds, even Tylenol makes him loopy). Currently he's taking a preventative dose of Zyrtec at night and his allergies have been pretty stable during the day.
    So I guess my advice is to try Claritin. Or try medicating at night with Zyrtec and see if that helps.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    over the counter allergy pills. 24 hour kind. look for claratin, then look underneath it for the store brand. usually cheaper and its the same thing.

take one at night, and you should be good to go for the morning. btw, they're not perfect. the pollen count has been so high in nyc that even with the pills, i suffer.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking either Allegra-D or Claritin-D. The "D" is important! It will help open you up. You will have to ask the pharmacist for it, but it is NOT prescription. They just have to keep it behind the counter in most states because it contains pseudoephedrine, which people use to make meth. I HIGHLY recommend the ones with pseudoephedrine as opposed to the ones that you can just pick up on the shelves. It works much faster and more efficiently for me. If you have any heart/high blood pressure issues you should check with your doc first though. I've been dealing with the same thing...I'm hoping the rain we had yesterday will help!

It really is a shame that pseudophedrine has to be so controlled. Nothing really works better on allergies.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I had issues with Zyrtec as well. Currently I am on Allegra and if congestion is really bad, I take Mucinex D as well. It has worked really well for me.

Unfortunately, a lot of these things do take time and trial and error and everyone is different. I was on Zyrtec for about 2 months but it caused a lot of dizziness and headaches, then I switched to Claritin and it worked pretty well for a while but then it stopped working. Then I started taking Chlortabs which are decent but you need to take them every 4 hours for them to work. Allegra is great because just 1 pill a day when my allergies are acting up and I'm good to go.

Also, I have tried Wal-mart brand of Allegra and it really isn't as good. They say it is a 12 hour pill but it doesn't last 12 hours. The 24 hour Allegra really lasts the full 24 hours.