Allergies messing with my schedule :explode:

Options
2»

Replies

• momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me...any OTC allergy prep pretty much knocks me flat. I can't take Allegra, Claritin, or Zyrtec (or any of their generic version) I have found a compound at my health food store that the owner recommended (she is also a licensed naturopath) called QBC Plex by Solaray. I get it there b/c its close by BUT I know that you can also order it online (I found it on e-bay before) you take 3 a day and can take up to 4 a day. I end up taking 2 in the a.m. and 2 before bed in the height of allergy season and it ends the itchy watery eyes, sneezing, etc AND doesn't have any negative side effects! When it is NOT allergy season I'll take 2 a day because of the GOOD side effects not related to allergy control...reduced inflamation over all and better digestion just to name a few!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I use Zyrtec and do not experience any side affects, but I have a friend who is knocked out by it. I think she prefers Claritin.

My best friend, in regards to allergies for the last 4-5 years, has been my Neti pot. I use it every morning and every night to clear out my sinuses. I used to get really painful sinus infections 2-3 times a year and my allergies were awful. Since using the Neti pot, I think I've had maybe 2 infections in the last five years and my allergies are no where near as bad.

The Neti pot will cost you about $10-$12 at Walgreens and includes 50 solution packets. Rather than buying replacement packs I boil 2 quarts water on the stove, turn off the heat and add 4 tsp non-iodized salt (I use Kosher) and 2 tsp baking soda. Let it cool and store in a covered container. That amount lasts me two days using day and night.

*the Neti pot was recommended to me by my doctor and the solution I make is a recipe she gave me.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use Loratadine (same ingredient in Claritin and Alavert) and it helps me - I have really bad seasonal allergies. I buy it at Sams - it's $13.50 for 400 pills! Can't beat it! It doesn't make me tired... might be worth looking into.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am already a super duper lazy person
    PLZ do not rec I go to the doctor I cannot afford to

I wonder if there is any correlation
    Heh.

You know, they do have non-drowsy antihistamines...
    Cetirizine (Reactine), Desloratadine (Aerius) etc.

ETA:
    Scratch that (pun intended) the one you listed IS a non-drowsy. Zyrtec is cetirizine.
    Never heard of effects like that. You must be special.

Nope, my mother is the same way. She can take a Zyrtec and be knocked out for hours on end. Where as I can take most anything and keep on bouncing. I've even become immune to Demerol/Phenegran shots. I can get one, and walk out the door, drive myself home (though the Drs won't let me), and do whatever. They don't even make the migraine go away anymore. Some people are more/less tolerant of drugs than others. That's why the note "Do not operate heavy machinery..." is on the bottle, because some people may be made drowsy by it.
  • acbabbitt
    acbabbitt Posts: 50
    Options
    Name-brand, 24 hour Allegra works very well for me. I have severe allergies (getting allergy shots) and have needed my Epi-Pen 3 times in the last 7 months (long story.)

I take the 24 hour name- brand Allegra at bedtime and wake up feeling close to normal.

Best of luck.