Deli meats - any way to avoid sodium?

Options
Hi all, I really enjoy making a turkey or ham sandwich for lunch - however, the amount of sodium in prepackaged lunch meats (Hillshire Farms, Oscar Meyer, etc) is through the roof. Are there healthier options?

Replies

• peachypants
    peachypants Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My grocery store has a low-sodium option for lunch meatS and turkey bacon.
    I cook a bunch of chicken breast over the weekend and divide them up for lunch. Sometimes on a sandwich, salad or in a wrap! Sodium is in anything and everything processed. So your going to have to pick your battles on which food is worth it and which one isn't. Good luck!
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My grocery store has a low-sodium option for lunch meatS and turkey bacon.
    I cook a bunch of chicken breast over the weekend and divide them up for lunch. Sometimes on a sandwich, salad or in a wrap! Sodium is in anything and everything processed. So your going to have to pick your battles on which food is worth it and which one isn't. Good luck!

I do this too - and I shred the chicken so I can put it in wraps and on salads or make a low cal chicken salad mix. I definitely have a problem keeping my sodium down, and this has helped a lot!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    My very favorite sandwich is on a multi-grain sandwich round, with Di Lusso low sodium turkey breast and dijon mustard. This turkey breast is very good.
    Deli meats/lunch meats are high in sodium, so you have to watch it closely if you are watching sodium.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would consider switching to the stuff sliced in the deli (with sales, it is usually cheaper). But most offer a low-sodium option.

I would also consider what the above posters shared....cooking chicken or turkey and preparing it yourself.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Processed meats are really bad for you. Why not just bake some meat at the beginning of the week, slice it and put in the fridge for sandwiches. Fresher, healthier, cheaper and you control the sodium.
  • jordycg
    jordycg Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks all - majope, that list is really helpful! I'll also consider cooking chicken breasts, I do like having deli meats around for when I've run out of time or forgotten to cook other things.
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Gold Homestyle Thin & Trim turkey breast is low in sodium and tastes like real turkey (not all slimy like the other deli turkey). An even better and healthier option (since deli meats are so bad for you anyway)...maybe roast a turkey or chicken on weekends and have delicious roasted meat. I do that a lot and it tastes WAY better! :-)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Actually, you have to watch sodium even when you are preparing your own chicken breasts or turkey.
    There is a lot of added sodium to frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts and frozen turkey. You have to read the labels.
    If you are going this route, fresh over frozen will be a better choice, not nearly the added sodium.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was totally shocked when I saw how much sodium was in the packaged deli meats. I'm supposed to restrict my sodium, so no more deli meats for me. I'll be cooking chicken breasts from now on!:sad:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I really enjoy making a turkey or ham sandwich for lunch - however, the amount of sodium in prepackaged lunch meats (Hillshire Farms, Oscar Meyer, etc) is through the roof. Are there healthier options?

no. there aren't.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Processed meats are really bad for you. Why not just bake some meat at the beginning of the week, slice it and put in the fridge for sandwiches. Fresher, healthier, cheaper and you control the sodium.

This. Your taste buds will thank you too.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If you really need sandwich meats (I usually just go with tuna and guacamole), Boar's Head has a no salt added turkey breast. And it's pretty good. If I need sandwich meats, they're who I usually go with since they have low sodium options for ham and roast beef.
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Some brands do offer low-sodium options. However, our local farmer's market sells fresh turkey breast they slice thin for deli meat. Not processed at all and really delicious.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Make your own! Much better for you and so easy to do.

I make some for my husband often. I buy a large turkey breast, rub on some spices and roast it. Once cooled I slice it up. I do the same with chicken breast as well. I have also done the same with ham as well.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options

I make some for my husband often. I buy a large turkey breast, rub on some spices and roast it. Once cooled I slice it up. I do the same with chicken breast as well. I have also done the same with ham as well.

This is an awesome idea!
  • joannanm
    joannanm Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you for this post. Just started this week and noticed the amount of sodium in the turkey I buy. Will definitely look for the low sodium options!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Many packaged meats have low sodium options, you could also just alternate between your regular high sodium meats one day and a veggie/meatless sandwich the next.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

This!

And man oh man does this make a DELICIOUS sandwich..NOMNOMNOM...
  • sah0724
    sah0724 Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't eat processed meats like that, I do however eat a can of tuna a day, I'll probably do a P&J sandwich before I eat those processed meats.