Cookbooks!

Options
Oh_Allie
Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
I'm teaching myself to love to cook/prepare food (I'm so lazy about it, hence the weight gain) but I keep getting stuck because I just don't know what I want to make so I need cookbooks.

Does anyone have recommendations for cookbooks of the healthy variety?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm teaching myself to love to cook/prepare food (I'm so lazy about it, hence the weight gain) but I keep getting stuck because I just don't know what I want to make so I need cookbooks.

Does anyone have recommendations for cookbooks of the healthy variety?

41l%2BcuLjcJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51JIkVVObaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Ruhlmans-Twenty-Techniques-Recipes-Manifesto/dp/0811876438
  • carolynowings
    carolynowings Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Usually when I get home from work (i do not want to cook) ... So our result is we eat out too much. But my daughter bought "Hungry Girl" cookbooks and they seem pretty easy .. also I have found that crockpot recipes are great. I google recipes a lot ...GOOD LUCK
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The best recipes I get are actually from allrecipes.com.
    This site is AWESOME. Thousands of recipes and pics. The best thing about it is the reviews. If 1000 people review a recipe and give tips on what they works best, then it easier to know what to do. A lot of people comment about how they made it lighter or yummier or easier... Its a GREAT SITE. I own like 20 cookbooks and rarely crack them now.
    Another good place for health specific foods in eatingwell.com
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit addicted to cook books. It's an expensive habit.

I eat Paleo/Primal, so the recommendations below will fit for you if you want to focus on veg/meat/healthy fats.

My absolute favorite: Well Fed, by Melissa Joulwan. Not only are her recipes amazing, she does a really nice job of explaining technique.
    My 2nd favorite is an iPad cook book app: nomnompaleo. Every step has a beautiful photo. She also has a bunch of great recipes her website too, nomnompaleo.com and I've learned a lot about cooking from her.

Not paleo, but great cook books especially to learn:
    Essential Pepin - it's HUGE and comes with an instructional DVD
    Cook with Jamie Oliver
  • karenlaughingbird
    Options
    I got on here this morning to ask the same question. Hope someone has some good ideas. maybe the web-site will start posting some receipies
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I too LOVE allrecipes.com, I use it all the time (and have TONS of books I rarely crack anymore). When you find recipes you like, just add them to your recipe box online and you'll know just where to find them. I also have the app on my phone.

That being said, in addition to the cookbooks and apps, whatever you make, make a double batch so you can freeze the other half and then have a tasty, easy meal on the days you don't want to cook at all. Just heat and eat!
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I don't buy cookbooks, waste of money IMO. What is better is getting cookbooks from the local library, try out some recipes then write them down.

Also, the internet is full of recipes.

allrecipes.com
    vegetariantimes.com
    eatingwell.com
    finecooking.com
    indianfoodforever.com
    I could go on and on... just google recipes.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with The Joy of Cooking, particularly with the 1997 version or older.