Help with water intake

Options

Replies

• Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    I know a lady who just downs at least 2-3 glasses of water right after she wakes up and then with meals - she gets them out of the way faster I suppose. I just keep the water in front of me all day so I can see how much more I need to drink. Good luck!
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    I don't know if your grocery store has them, but I absolutely love the MetroMint waters. They aren't sweetened at all, zero calories, and basically they just give you the essence of mint (The chocolate mint one really curbs my chocolate cravings, too!)
    If you want something a little sweeter I get the big packets of Crystal Light, empty them into an itty bitty tupperware and just add a little to my water so it's not full strength, but has a little bit of flavor.
    I also make sure to always have a bottle of water at my desk, then I don't even really think about it and before I know it, I have to re-fill it because I'm constantly drinking it. - It used to be snacks that I would constantly eat at my desk, so it has helped a lot with that problem as well.

Safeway sells them...see my post up a little ways...i buy them in bulk lol
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I never had much problems drinking plain water, but I never used to drink enough. Lately I keep a bottle filled in front of me, and whenever I see it, I automatically take a sip. You could try that, and carrying a bottle with you is also a very good idea. Also in many health magazines etc they suggest carrying a bottle with you always.

Another thing would be to set a timer for regular intervals(on the computer) which reminds you to drink water, just have some everytime the timer goes off and you will get used to it.
  • shelleyrose
    shelleyrose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    oh, good idea. I am not a water drinker but I think that will help. Thanks.
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my tall skinny husband laughs at me but I dont leave home without water, ever. One thing you can try is drinking 1 cup every 2 hour, then move to 1 cup every hour and if you miss a few you are still getting about 8 cups. Days I workout are easiest, I drink 4 cups just there/when I am done. So those days I get 10-12, otherwise its about 8
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    i'm not a big water fan either...but i'm in love with the new Metro Mint water...its plain water with a hint of iehter peppermint, sperimint, cherry mint, lemon mint, orange mint, or chocolate mint. safeway sells them...i buy them all up lol

hm that sounds interesting! do you know if they are sweetened with artificial sweeteners at all?

nope not at all...just has mint vapors in it....they are amazing!

oh wow i would love that! i am a big fan of mint. Now the only trouble is that i may not be able to find them here in Canada...but hope i will. I'll check next time i go shopping :)
    go to there website...maybe they could tell you who sells it...i know albertsons and safeway sell it...even safeway in hawaii lol

ohhh you live in hawaii! so lucky! i went there for my honeymoon this year (to maui) and loved it!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    You could try sticking some mint leaves and cucumber in a jug of water and sipping it throughout the day.

that is also a good idea ! thanks!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    You will get used to it. :) Stick a slice of lemon with it?

I try and make sure I drink one glass before and after each meal/ snack.

i'm going to try to increase my intake slowly....i drink bottled water so my goal this week would be 2 bottles...that is 4 cups (1000 mL).
  • Periphria
    Periphria Posts: 358
    Options
    After just reading your questions and some of the replies, I tried putting some strawberry slices in my water, and it was so good I drank the whole bottle. So thank you for your question and thanx to the others for their replies.:drinker: :flowerforyou: :happy:

Periphria
  • recipe4success
    Options

Since beginning my weightloss journey I have rarely drank any carbonated drinks, and am clearing 2 litres of water per day in work alone, something I would never have done before. I have been told to try drinking water with some sugar free cordial, but I've never needed to!

wow great job! i rarely drink carbonated drinks either. i usually drink milk, juice, tea, coffee, or water (not much though lol!). I was also drinkng alot of sweetened ice tea but i am not letting myself do that now.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I just don't like drinking water...the only time i really like it is during exercise...any suggestions about how i can improve my intake?

Thanks!

I'm not that keen on plain water either - in fact I have to actually be hallucinating through dehydration before I drink it :laugh:

I do, however, drink water with a hint of lemon or strawberry in it, just that extra little taste makes it better, well it does for me anyway.:drinker:

strawberry is a great idea too! at least in the summer when i have access to tons of fruit...i love summer fruits :D
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I guess it's easy for me. I do like water, but I really like it when I put the sugar free stuff in it. Anything from Crystal light to Wyler's. There are alot of great flavors around. I like the Peach Tea flavors and anything that is lemon or lime. I do drink a glass of plain water before my meals because it helps me feel fuller. When I drink water at restaurant's, I ask for lemon in it. Hey, it's free, and serves a purpose.

you know the more i read about people suggesting to put lemon in water, the more i realize how good an idea this is. there is a restaurant here who puts lemon slices in their water, and i love it! so yeah...i am sure that would help me increase my intake!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    My man got me a whole house water system, which improved the taste of the town's off the charts hard water. But... I still didn't drink it like I was supposed to. So, once I started getting serious (only about 4 weeks) I just made myself drink a whole glass before and after each meal and before and after my workout and a glass right before bed. Pretty soon, I was just always drinking it (alot easier to do with no soda). It's like a developed taste I guess, the more ya have, the more ya want.
    Speaking of soda, I haven't had one in 3 weeks, and took a sip of my friend's the other day... I almost spit it out, that stuff is really gross if you lost that developed taste!

great job on the soda! yeah, once i cut out my soda addiction, and tried it again, i have never liked the taste. so sweet!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    Once I cut out soft drinks and store bought frozen juices it was easier for me drink more water. I just carry a bottle with me every where I go. The only thing I drink now besides water is home made fruit smoothies. It seams though that I had to kind of phase the other stuff out and slowly build up my like for water. I used to not be much of a fan of water, I thought it was "boring" and pretty "tasteless", but I've since gone 360 and totally love water now. It's such a wonderfully clean and fresh taste. I suggest just slowly replacing other less healthy beverages with water, so you can build up a taste for it. I had to do the same thing with fresh fruits and veggies. lol

hehe...yeah...i have quite a few cans of frozen juice in the freezer. I haven't made any in awhile but i like having them around :)

honestly its not that i drink bad drinks, i just don't drink...anything really. hardly anything, much less than i should be.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I don't know if your grocery store has them, but I absolutely love the MetroMint waters. They aren't sweetened at all, zero calories, and basically they just give you the essence of mint (The chocolate mint one really curbs my chocolate cravings, too!)
    If you want something a little sweeter I get the big packets of Crystal Light, empty them into an itty bitty tupperware and just add a little to my water so it's not full strength, but has a little bit of flavor.
    I also make sure to always have a bottle of water at my desk, then I don't even really think about it and before I know it, I have to re-fill it because I'm constantly drinking it. - It used to be snacks that I would constantly eat at my desk, so it has helped a lot with that problem as well.

i am totally looking for the metromint water! i only hope we have them here :D

as i said above i can't drink crystal light though because it is artificially sweetened and i dono't like that taste.

definitely is a good plan to keep water around (and cold)...i dislike room temperature water.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I use to not enjoy water but am now addicted, it is pretty much all I drink. I started by keeping a bottle of water on my desk like Aquafina. I have free water at work that I can refill my bottle with. I count my bottles, so i try to drink 3 to 4 bottles a day at work. I have 1 after my workout and at home I drink water all night unless I have a glass of wine with dinner. The water on my desk is what really helped me start to enjoy it. I feel cleaner when I drink water and not tied down by sugar like in soda and juice.

I would suggest working up to a certain number of bottles per day...

Good Luck!!!

definitely going to be my plan! as i said above, going to try this week to get to 2 bottles a day. :)
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I think run_way and jac2lyn have a great idea - keeping a bottle of water on your desk. That helps you to not only curb the impulse to snack but keeps you sipping on the water all day to help you get that much needed water into your daily diet. Fabulous idea.

that is indeed a good idea, but in the summer i am rarely at a desk :) i babysit during the days or else i'm running around doing things...however i will certainly keep one near me for when i'm sitting down ! :)
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I love water, but I found that a straw works wonders. I don't know why, but I always drink my drinks fast through a straw. When I first started and was having trouble getting all my water in, I just filled up a jug and put in a long straw and went to town. Before I knew it, I was done. I know keep a 20oz botter filled with ice water with me at all times. I try to drink 4-5 a day. I won't let myself have a diet coke until I have drank at least 1 20oz bottle.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I know a lady who just downs at least 2-3 glasses of water right after she wakes up and then with meals - she gets them out of the way faster I suppose. I just keep the water in front of me all day so I can see how much more I need to drink. Good luck!

thank you!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I never had much problems drinking plain water, but I never used to drink enough. Lately I keep a bottle filled in front of me, and whenever I see it, I automatically take a sip. You could try that, and carrying a bottle with you is also a very good idea. Also in many health magazines etc they suggest carrying a bottle with you always.

Another thing would be to set a timer for regular intervals(on the computer) which reminds you to drink water, just have some everytime the timer goes off and you will get used to it.

very good idea!! i'll definitely use that during the year when i'm glued to the computer doing assignments!!!