DEFEATED

Options
I am really trying to get over the "Oh, I just ate horrible for a meal - so I might as well throw away my whole day" mentality. Does anyone else have this problem? I really do not have much to lose so I hate venting but I seem to get to a place I am happy at, but have one bad meal and binge eat the rest of the day sometimes all weekend leading me to gain back 5 lbs or more - work all week sooooo hard to get it off and slip up again. I am really having a hard time maintaining my "happy" weight!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    This is probably hard to do, but get rid of all the junk food in your house, so that the temptation simply isn't there. If you only keep healthy things in your home, binging won't be as detrimental as it would be on cookies, cake, and ice cream.

If you drive by fast food places on the way home, take a different route home that doesn't have them. Out of sight, out of mind.

Just trying to help.
  • jlclarke
    jlclarke Posts: 107
    Options
    I feel that way especially when I start my day off with a bad meal. I just give up for that day, but the next day is always a new one and I try to do things differently. One bad day down 6 more good days to go before weigh in day. You just have to keep your thoughts positive and work for the next day. You are not alone with this. Just keep up the good work and let the bad days go. Good luck
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    When I overeat on a day, like at a wedding in another state, I just eat less the next day, and exercise more, so it balances out.
  • mynuet
    mynuet Posts: 6
    Options
    That happens to just about everybody. It's tough.

These days, I just tell myself that it's okay - the wagon is still right there for me to climb back on. One screwup is an indulgence, and the occasional indulgence is okay. Continuing to screw up because hey, I did once already, is just a greased track for me to slip back into old and destructive habits.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We all slip up from time to time but we can't let it rule us. Like Scarlett O'Hara said, "After all, tomorrow is another day." I'd say that being cognizant of the slips is the first step...now you just have to concentrate on not letting it get you down so much. I know it's hard, but focus on the positive!
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I always over indulge when I'm super stressed (like when I'm up all night studying for a midterm) and because I know I'm indulging somewhat I feel like I need to REALLY indulge since I've already gone over my calorie count. It's a really hard mentality to break.
    I try to have as many healthy options on hand to combat it-- so when I want to binge at least I can do it on fruit/veggies. Not a perfect solution, but better than candy I guess... I also try to blog when I feel like I'm losing control. Sometimes when I write everything out it helps me get some perspective, so next time you feel yourself slipping... run to your computer! :)
    I think it's all about knowing what your weaknesses are and being concious of them! :)
    Good luck--
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think we all have those days. I find that for me, the best thing I can do when battling that post meal guilt is to go for a long walk. It starts the digestive process, and I can often burn off at least half of the calories I just ate, putting me back into the normal range again. And, once you've done the "work," I find that I am less likely to feel like just blowing the rest of the day.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! But I guess its good to stick by the "One day at a time" plan.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you binge once in awhile, you shouldn't worry. Maybe look at your progress every week instead of every day. As some days seem to be tougher than other. Usually it takes about 3 days to get back on track.
  • wolverinefactor
    Options
    I just did a crazy fast food binge feast so I feel your pain. Although I had buyers remorse as I was shoving the fries in my mouth so I'm just going to do my run, which I wasn't going to do. I figure it'll burn most of it off, but I still feel bleh after eating it also.