Afterglow from Binge Eating?!?

Options
Is there a word for the feeling of satiety and pleasure almost like an intoxication that results from overeating? Example: Was blue this morning and couldnt' shake it. At lunch at my healthful lunch of ground turkey and vegetables, then had my normal Friday treat of a small ice cream sundae. Only I didn't eat a small one, I ate an obscenely large icecream sundae including a bananna and both chocolate & carmel syrups. And I feel wonderful...

Not wonderful like I am making positive changes to improve my health, no. Wonderful like ... how to describe ... delirious ecstasy.

Anyway I know this is an altered state of mind akin to intoxication as a result of losing control and overeating. I know it is counter to my goals and negates much of the hard work I have done to follow a sensible eating plan and exercise plan.

I just want to know if there is a word to describe this feeling.

Thanks! (And do as I say, not as I do)

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i think it's food drunk. when you eat a lot, the blood gets redirected from your brain to your gut to help digest. i've seen it on man v food :laugh:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Were you high? Cause it sounds like you're describing the feeling of eating something while stoned and it's like the best thing you've ever eaten in your life.

I had a moment in high school with a package of smores poptarts and a large pizza. It was beautiful.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Ice cream bliss
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to comment that that was NOT quite binge eating. After a true binge, you don't feel peaceful or satisfied. You feel stuffed, overly full, miserable, guilty. . . and so on and so forth.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Sugar high?
  • Ducey99
    Ducey99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Binge eaters have been shown to have a dopamine release after a binge not unlike drug addicts after using.

It's also similar to "runners high." Perhaps a better way to get the endorphin fix
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I definitely have felt that!! No illegal drugs involved, either. Just lots of good dessert!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I say yes. Your pleasure centers in your brain are getting stimulated. Just like with sex.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    if spongebob can get intoxicated by icecream why not you?
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I get a euphoric feeling BEFORE a binge but certainly not after.
  • Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    Did your sundae have special brownies in it?
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I get a euphoric feeling BEFORE a binge but certainly not after.

Definitely. After = shame and guilt
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it for what it is and move on. I very rarely feel like that after having something naughty these days, usually feel yucky and a big part of me wishes I could enjoy something like that more, but I usually don't. I did enjoy Ben and Jerry's last week and wanted more, know if I'd had more I would have felt awful though. So sickly sweet. Think early days they tasted better because I still craved them so much, but as you crave these things less often you don't get as much of a buzz eating them. I do think it's like food addiction pure and simple but it gets better over time when healthy eating and educating yourself. Can't say that I don't miss being able to gleefully enjoy naughty treats sometimes, now I think it's not worth the calories with most things. The exceptions being Ben and Jerry's and dark chocolate!

Zara
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I feel more euphoric during than after, but there's a definite high that comes from eating an obscenely good dessert.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I don't really know if I would categorize a massive sundae as a binge...not for myself anyway. So that could leave me feeling really satisfied!
    I feel more euphoric during than after, but there's a definite high that comes from eating an obscenely good dessert.
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "Euphoric" - That's a good word. Is "Food Drunk" a real term?
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    That most definitely wasn't a binge. If I binge I just feel like a weak willed loser! I certainly do not feel good after it. I feel fat, bloated, sick and like i've let myself down. The pleasure is very fleeting, and confined to before binging and during. Not ever afterwards.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If I eat too much refined sugar too fast (I've been known to eat a pound of chocolate while watching really bad movies), my face will get hot, and I'll feel restless. It doesn't happen when stuffing myself with less sugary junk. Either way, it's not the happy, sated feeling of a really good treat.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Were you high? Cause it sounds like you're describing the feeling of eating something while stoned and it's like the best thing you've ever eaten in your life.

I had a moment in high school with a package of smores poptarts and a large pizza. It was beautiful.

It's either ^^THIS

or enlightenment

snooplastsupper_zps1944d269.gif
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    it's possible you're addicted to food....in a very real way...and the feeling of "ecstasy" you got is very similar to the feeling an alcoholic gets when he/she is drinking...or the feeling a heroin addict gets when shooting up. i'm not putting it lightly....that's why there's an overeaters anonymous. i hope you can get a handle on things....because we all love food here, and treats are great too...but all in moderation.

xo