What percent of carb/fat/protein do you eat?

Options
jolt28
jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
I've had my food/diet settings as recommended, but have read that having more protein (than my plan recommends) might be helpful to lose weight. Any thoughts on this? thanks

Replies

• BrofessorDumbelldore
    Options
    Always more protein
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research on current recommendations & based on that, I manually enter my goals at...
    50% Carbs
    25% Protein
    25% Fat
  • here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The more protein I have (lean protein) I have the better I do. It seems to control my hunger also as a added bonus!
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    35 protein
    40 carb
    25 fat
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    60 fat
    25 protein
    15 carb
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    50% Carbs
    25% Protein
    25% Fat
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    35% protein
    45% carb
    20% fat

Lately I've been swapping out some carbs for more fat - did that this week and I was less hungry.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    40% Carbs
    30% Protein
    30% Fat
  • Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Quite a wide variety of opinions as I expected! Does it matter what "activities" you do? IE: runners need more carbs and lifters need more protein?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Quite a wide variety of opinions as I expected! Does it matter what "activities" you do? IE: runners need more carbs and lifters need more protein?
    Most people involved in endurance athletics fuel with more carbs, yes. It's not uncommon to see 55% carb in those engaged in these activities.

I engage in pretty hard exercise myself, including some endurance cycling, but I control my diabetes with a ketogenic ratio of 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein and about 5% carbohydrate.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many calories I eat.

Reality is that macro ratios are a terrible guide. You shouldn't base anything at all on macronutrient ratios. In general you want about 0.3-0.4 grams of fat per lb of body weight a day. If you're losing weight, you want about 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. If you're maintaining or gaining weight, you can lower that to about 0.75. The rest of your calories should come from carbs.

In other words, macro ratios change dramatically based on whether you're losing, maintaining, or gaining weight. They also change dramatically for caloric intake.

For instance, if I shoot for 1700 calories a day, I end up eating about 30% of calories from protein. If I exercise a lot and eat 2500 calories, I end up eating about 21% of calories from protein. That's for the same 135 grams.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    macro ratios don't really matter so much - actual # of grams is what matters, however to indulge:

25% carb, 55% fat, 20% protein
  • kt_kat_88
    kt_kat_88 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    my dietitian set me at 40% carb 30%fat 30% protein.
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    40% Pro
    40% Carbs
    20% Fats

Weight training.
  • Bmajhor
    Bmajhor Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I seem to teeter around 50% carbs, 30-35% Protien and 15-20% fats.
    I do make sure my fats are "Healthy fats"
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 60 carbs, 20 protein, 20 fat. The extra carbs are for running. But I don't stress about it too much. The "anti-carb" thing is a bit silly, imho. A reasonably balanced diet and slight calorie deficit will do the trick, barring health issues requiring specific diets. :smile:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 50% carbs, 15% protein, and 35% fat, but I always try to treat the protein and fat as minimums and let the carbs fill in the rest, so last week ended up 43% carbs, 19% protein, and 38% fat. No matter what the daily goal amount is, I try to get at least 80-90g of protein (RDA is only 46g for women, and the various calculators give ranges of 58-130 and 80-125).
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    40% Carbs
    30% Protein
    30% Fat
    this is close to what I aim for.