tired of "starting over all the time"

I am having trouble sticking to my "life change" and falling back into old habits. I do really well for a few weeks, then very quickly slip back into old habits. I have done this yo yo for so long, I don't know what to do to break the cycle. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Adding friends on here is a great way to get motivation and support. :) but in the end, it's all going to be up to you whether you truly stick to it or not.
  • I know exactly how you feel. I keep a journal and I noticed that I had been on this yo-yo dieting thing for so long. Try to keep a journal and also just because you have one slip up dont let that be the determining factor that makes you want to throw in the towel. Stay strong and what I noticed that has been helping me is working out every day. Twice a day if you can.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Maybe try by focusing on one change at a time and master that one before you add another. Also, make sure that you aren't too strict and allow yourself some treats and rest days so that you don't feel deprived or burn out. Good luck!
  • prestonam
    prestonam Posts: 24 Member
    I know how you feel trust me. But I think you might feel better if u change the way you are looking at things. Its ok to have a bad day or even a few days the most important thing is that this is the exception so even if u do have a bad food day this isnt a habit the healthy eating is ur habit now. Being bold a few days wont destroy everything if u dont let it. I have a problem with binge eating and see a psychologist so know what im talking about; my doctor told me to try the 1 hour rule- basically i can eat every hour and amazing this actually helped me im not eating alot just a mandarin or an apple but the point is if i do eat 7 biscuits which I Do sometimes haha the next hour I go back to being good only having one healthy food I dont continue on my downward spiral eating the whole house and drifting back into old food habits. Everyday I have less and less bad food moments because of this technique and soon I will be eating much less and prob wont need to eat every hour. Find a way to make ur new healthy lifestyle sustainable whether it be having one small treat everyday or 1 dedicated treat day find what works for you. You can do it u just need to try different techniques. good luck!
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    I am the same way. I have been trying to lose the same 30 lbs for years now. And I keep starting over. Which is ok. Why is it ok? Because along the way I have been slowly picking up better habits. I eat more vegetables now, I don't drink soda as much. I had completely given it up for months but had a week of migraines and slipped back into it.

For me, this is not a race with a finish. It's my journey to better eating habits and exercise. If I lose weight along the way, that's just an added bonus.

I'm hoping to start incorporating more healthy cooking, too. I hate to cook - and my Dh is so good at it, but he makes easy, not so healthy meals. He's overweight, too. We need to do this together.

Stick around. Admit that you're going to fall - probably a lot....but if you are sticking to it more than you're falling off, you're ahead of the game!
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    I once had a reputable strength and conditioning trainer say "if you are tired of starting over, then stop quitting"
  • For me, It was about figuring out moderation and making time to work out. I would lose 5 lbs and gain 5 lbs and every time I gained it back, I felt like such a failure. I did this for about 2 years. I used to deprive myself of foods i loved. I eat cleanly a majority of the time, but I don't consider any foods "off limits" that only makes me want it more when I tell myself I can't have it, if that makes sense? Don't give up. Keep going, losing weight is in the mind just as much as it is in the body. You have to retrain your perception of food. That's honestly what has really helped me. Figuring out moderation, and what healthier options of "junk food" are is also.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Set goals and stick to it. Its all up to YOU.

Each and every one of us can sit here and try to "tell" you what to do. But in the end..its YOUR decision =)

I hope you feel better
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    I've had to start over several times. I just wasn't ready to stick to it. Then I finally realized that I was the only one holding me back, not someone else.

Having motivating friends is awesome and they are so incredibly helpful, but they can't motivate you if you don't give yourself that first push.

When you're ready, it will stick.

Then, there's that lovely quote that I love so much, if you're sick of starting over, you've got to stop quitting.

Feel free to add me for support!
  • I had a couple of big reasons for finally just doing this, but one thing that really helped me make up my mind about just doing this and seeing it through to the end was The Biggest Loser. I missed the episodes of the season that just ended, so I went on-line and watched the whole season and to me, that was motivating enough. I know they're on this ranch with world-class trainer and amazing gyms, but guess what? Once they go home, they continue to lose the weight. If they can do it on their own, then so can we. You just have to trick your mind into doing it. Get up earlier and go outside for a walk, make your own foods. Just being more active instead of being on a couch makes a huge change. I was terrified of the gym just two weeks ago; now, I freak out if I don't go. You just have to get into a routine and believe in yourself and know that there's so many people in your family and here that support you! You can finally do it. I promise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    I am having trouble sticking to my "life change" and falling back into old habits. I do really well for a few weeks, then very quickly slip back into old habits. I have done this yo yo for so long, I don't know what to do to break the cycle. Any suggestions?
    Mindset of really really really wanting to do this has to be concrete. If there's any "but", "well ah", "I'm not sure", then there's no commitment. Start there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    First, you have to be 100% committed - like so sick and tired of being fat and feeling miserable that nothing will stop you. Until you are to that point, you won't be successful.

Second, are you making this "lifestyle change" too restrictive? Are you forcing yourself into an unsustainable diet that means you can enjoy the foods you love? Are you cutting your calories too low? Those things can make any plan hard to stick with.