Supposed to run my first 5k tomorrow...

Options
cinrn68
cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
but there's a BLIZZARD happening today!!!

I hate this stupid province sometimes... (I'm in Montreal, Quebec) I really do. It's April 12th. It's SUPPOSED to be spring!! I signed up for a 5k for tomorrow (signed up in mid-March). The flowers are supposed to be blooming by now, but no... today it's a freaking BLIZZARD outside!! And they're not cancelling the run either. I guess too many people to refund (it's a 5k, 10k and half)... but they did send an email saying that it would be possible that many of the sponsors would not be setting up their kiosks. No ****!! How can they in 6+ inches of snow and ice!! grrrrrr... I was so looking forward to my "first" 5k!

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    aww that is a bummer. i'd be ticked off too!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It could still be fun. Will they have the path cleared? I haven't run in that much snow before, but I've certainly run in snow. It's quite peaceful (though I suppose probably a race wouldn't be as peaceful).

I have my first half tomorrow and the weather is going to be cold. But at least not a blizzard.
  • cinrn68
    Options
    It's supposed to still be snowing/freezing rain by race time in the morning. The course is on the streets, but I just don't want to take the chance of it being slippery. I typically don't run outside in the winter (I've only just started running since February and I've only run outside on "nice" days i.e. dry conditions) so I'm not prepared (mostly shoes-wise, clothes-wise I'd be fine) for that kind of run. With my luck, I'd find the one and only ice patch and fall and break a hip or something! LOL
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    that does stink - I'm in Ontario, and we're getting a similar storm right now....maybe if you shift your thinking and make it a cool memory of your first run - who knows you might feel so empowered having completed your FIRST 5km race in the ice and snow it will launch an amazing summer of running for you!! Nothing can stop you if you finish this 5k in a blizzard!!!

Chin up :)
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Technically, you don't have to "run" a 5K. You can power walk it, mix in some jogging where the sidewalks aren't too bad, etc. It'll take a bit longer, but you'll still make it to the finish line.

And I feel your pain. I'm in Ontario, and it's been a crappy, rainy, icy start to spring. I use the word "spring" loosely. We had the odd day here and there of warmth and sunshine. Just enough to get us all excited for nuthin. lol
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would go buy those spikes for the bottom of your running shoes, to help prevent slipping on the ice. I run outdoors all winter (I'm in MN) and wear them if there is fresh snow or ice. They are about $15 I believe.
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I'm in Kingston ontario and everything is covered in ice. I so wanted to get on my bike today... guess not... stupid mother nature
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    That is disappointing....we are suffering with weather in Ontario too.

The race organizers will not risk injury by allowing the race to proceed if icy. Even if the conditions cause you to slow some, smile and enjoy!

You rock 0 to 5km!
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh that a bummer.
    Crazy weather.

Walk, run at a comfortable pace. Just go slow. Don't push it. Just stay safe.

Then sign up for another 5k . Look at races in the city in the next few weeks.
    Hopefully spring will have arrived then!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Some of my best runs have been when the weather sucked. Do not be afraid of the weather. Layer up and you will be fine. I ran yesterday with a thunderstorm and mud puddles up to my shins, did I care? Nope, was an awesome 4 miles.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Go run. you'll be glad you did. (Around her they don't refund anything if the race is cancelled. because they are benefits)

I did my first 1/2 M a few weeks ago and it was freezing rain. But I finished, and in the end it was fun.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    my wife and I did a 7k on st. Patrick's day weekend in Wisconsin...it snowed 3 inches the night before and it was about 20 degrees at race time...we did it and we were proud of ourselves...go do it just dress in layers and enjoy...the first run is a little nerve-wracking but it is so empowering when you cross that finish line and it gives you bragging rights!!:grumble: :laugh: :wink: :ohwell:
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Weather can suck - I live south of you in VERMONT and we are getting a rain/ice storm.. I can only say you run little danger of overheating while running :wink: I run my first 5k but not until June - thankfully no snow then. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • cinrn68
    Options
    Where is your 5k? Maybe I should join you!! :)