A painful NSV, but I'll take it!

Options
Last night my friend, who is a world class climber, invited me to her indoor climbing gym she uses to train. I was pumped all day about it. looked up videos, and pictures and got myself psyched! This lasted until we reached until we parked the car. As we were walking towards the gym, I started freaking out. The building looked like Mordor and everyone walking towards it looked like world class athletes. If this is the scene in the parking lot, what awaits me behind the doors? I walked in, took one look at the place and was ready to bail! 1. I'm not going to die and 2. I'm not going to embarrass myself in the process.

My buddy did not know the "OH HELL NO!" thoughts going through my head as she left me at the desk to fill out my waivers and get my gear. There was no turning back, plus I did not have a ride home and I had no idea what part of town we were in (to ask someone to come and get me). She fitted my harness, made sure my climbing shoes were right and took me to a 5.4 wall. The whole time I'm staring up in awe at these people scurrying the walls like spider monkeys. Walls with ridiculous inclines and angles. Why do they look like they are taking an easy stroll in the park? All I can think was I am clearly the fattest person here and I am going to die. I'm 241 lbs of non athleticism, what the hell do I think I can do here? She 'belayed' me, told me to pick a color and stick with it until I got to the top. Told me it is all about lower body strength. Your arms are for guiding and gripping. After a few minutes of no I can't do this and I will look freaking ridiculous, I said eff it. I don't know these people, if my friend thinks I can do it I should at least try.

After a few falls and 1 full body slam into the wall, I was able to do a 5.4, 5.6 and 3/4 of a 5.7 wall. I ended my night in pain. This morning I rolled unto to floor and crawled into the bathroom where I had to lie for a few minutes before pulling myself upon the toilet. As I type this I am still feeling very sore and about to take some more Advil.

I am in LOVE. I am OBSESSED! I signed up for 15 climb pass and will be back next Wednesday. Big girls climb? Stranger things can happen right?

Replies

• Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    That is incredible. I've watch my girls climb those little walls and always wanted to try it. Being fat and out of shape and fear of failure has kept me from the wall. You have inspired me to try the next one I see, if it's in the legs, I've got that!

Thank you for taking some of the fear out of this exercise.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I have always wanted to try but never gone. Because I know I will be addicted immedialty! I love anything that is difficult.....
  • taneyakoonce
    taneyakoonce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!!!! Rock on. :-)
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    wow that is great - i have to say you are to be admired for doing what you want to do and not letting the opinions of others affect you. Keep \it up!!!You have now actually got me thinking i may need to try climbing :)
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    It felt like a full body workout, mind included! I hurt, I felt ridiculous but I had a lot of fun. In between the climbs, I asked a lot of questions. During the climb I kept asking questions. It helps a lot to know they have some major padding on the floors and the people who belay you have to be licensed.

It was very refreshing to see it had a nice mix of men and women of all ages (even kids). Most importantly, people were nice and I felt very welcomed!
  • DutchFrancis
    DutchFrancis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I applaud you!!
    You pushed your limits, both physically as mentally, even though your first responce was running away from it.
    You're an inspiration to others who don't try new things because they think they can't do it or because of what others might think (myself included, I want to learn to scoobadive one day, but never have yet because 250+ lbs looks like a whale in a wetsuit ;) )

Good for you, keep climbing and have fun with it!
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, good on you for giving it a go :) to help with the soreness, try moving today, walking, yoga, swimming, anything to get the lactic acid out of your muscles..
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    That is awesome, good on you for giving it a go :) to help with the soreness, try moving today, walking, yoga, swimming, anything to get the lactic acid out of your muscles..

Thank you for that tip!
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I applaud you!!
    You pushed your limits, both physically as mentally, even though your first responce was running away from it.
    You're an inspiration to others who don't try new things because they think they can't do it or because of what others might think (myself included, I want to learn to scoobadive one day, but never have yet because 250+ lbs looks like a whale in a wetsuit ;) )

Good for you, keep climbing and have fun with it!
    ^^This!!^^ For sure!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    you just inspired me to look up my local rock gym and see what the rates are. Great for you! That really is amazing!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This brought a smile to my face. Great job at never giving up. And to be honest, if I were to see someone your size climbing a wall the thought threw my mind would be "If they can do then I can do it!" And I am sure you wowed a lot of people there.

Great job!
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    This brought a smile to my face. Great job at never giving up. And to be honest, if I were to see someone your size climbing a wall the thought threw my mind would be "If they can do then I can do it!" And I am sure you wowed a lot of people there.

Great job!

I'm sure I got some puzzled looks. :noway: At one point I imagined what the 911 call would be like . "Hello operator. There is a large woman hanging from a wall stuck inside a harness. Please bring back up!"

Sometimes you just gotta laugh at yourself. :laugh:
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! How fun to try new things and realize just what you're capable of.

Rock climbing is TOTALLY addicting. You're going to love this new adrenaline-rush of an activity. :-)
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    I used to love climbing! Then I got too out of shape for it.

Now I am in better shape than I have ever been, you have inspired me to go again!

Booking for next weekend and Stoneworks!
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I used to love climbing! Then I got too out of shape for it.

Now I am in better shape than I have ever been, you have inspired me to go again!

Booking for next weekend and Stoneworks!

Do it, do it!!!! :drinker:
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My six year old is having climbing lessons and today his instructor got me to have a go. Loved it!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Good for you! We don't have a climbing wall in our area but my daughter and I went to an indoor climbing site near Buffalo a few years ago. I loved it. It is a challenge but was so much fun.
    I hope you enjoy your 15 future climbs!
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Yesterday was my 2nd visit to the gym and today I feel awesome! Arms feel a little stiff but not as bad as the first visit. Apparently it means I used my legs more this time around. I made it up one wall on the first try (not one fall and stopped once to rest). Not so lucky on the other walls I attempted, but fun nonetheless. I initially planned on going every Wednesday, but this is way too much FUN to only be a one week thing. Not to mention the nice people I meet who shout encouraging words to me during my struggle. I'll be back tomorrow right after work and next week I plan on getting belay lessons so I can become certified. The more you do something the better you become right? More motivation to become healthier and stronger so that one day I can attend an outdoor climb with the team and do more than take pictures.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Very cool!

It can be so hard to push ourselves out of our comfort zones. What you did was a great success!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Your story made me smile!!! Here's to climbing! :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!