Healthy Homemade bread recipes?

Options
goal30Lori
goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
Does anyone have any healthy bread recipes? I've wanted to start baking my own bread for a while now, and I'd love to hear of any tried and true healthy recipes that are out there! I love any kind of bread.. Rye, Multigrain, anything!

Thank you!

Replies

• jeweljade
    jeweljade Posts: 93
    Options
    1 1/4 c milk
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 Tbs butter
    2 1/2 c wheat flour
    1/2 c ground flax seed (optional)
    1/2 c oatmeal
    2 Tbs sugar
    2 tsp yeast
    1 tsp baking soda

Put ingredients in bread machine on 'dough' setting. When done with the cycle shape into oblong rolls and roll in extra oatmeal. Bake at 380F for 20-25 min.
    I've done this recipe in a french bread shaped loaf form and used it to make subs and that was really good too.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    1 1/4 c milk
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 Tbs butter
    2 1/2 c wheat flour
    1/2 c ground flax seed (optional)
    1/2 c oatmeal
    2 Tbs sugar
    2 tsp yeast
    1 tsp baking soda

Put ingredients in bread machine on 'dough' setting. When done with the cycle shape into oblong rolls and roll in extra oatmeal. Bake at 380F for 20-25 min.
    I've done this recipe in a french bread shaped loaf form and used it to make subs and that was really good too.

Great! I've been looking for a wheat bread recipe. :) How many rolls does this make?

Another one I like is this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Wheat-Sandwich-Rolls/Detail.aspx
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you! These both sound delicious!

Can they be made without a breadmaker? I was hoping to just bake it in the oven, though a breadmaker has been on my wishlist for a while..,.
  • jeweljade
    jeweljade Posts: 93
    Options
    They make about 12 rolls. Oh and I just use the bread maker to mix and let it rise and then bake it in the oven. I just like to let it do all the prep work for me while I work out =P
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    They make about 12 rolls. Oh and I just use the bread maker to mix and let it rise and then bake it in the oven. I just like to let it do all the prep work for me while I work out =P

I just use the bread maker to mix as well. I am sure you could do it without the bread maker but I'm not very experienced in making bread to let you know the details. I am almost positive that if you look on the allrecipes.com recipe I posted there will be a reviewer who details how she did it without using a breadmaker.
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    Check out the book Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. You can get it at the library, or google it and find the "master" recipe on line. It's a quick and easy recipe that can be really healthy.

If you want a more traditional wheat bread, one that you need to knead and punch down, I have one on my blog: http://angelajiniel.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-home-made-bread.html