Walking should I?

Options
Does it really do anything for you in the long term? I mean if I went swimming 3 days a week and ran 1 day should a bother to post walking under exercise on MFP? I understand when you first start working out walking is usually a drastic change but if I am already active I am not sure if I should post walking because it may give me added calories to eat that i shouldnt eat necessarily if that makes sense?

Replies

• Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Usually I power walk so yes I do post it because my heart rate goes up and I work up a sweat. If im just walking to..the car from work forinstance, it takes five minutes but I dont log that. I walk M-F to pick my daughter up from school and I never log that walk, I just think of it as a bonus :wink:
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I add power walking. I definitely get a workout at the pace I go at, and I can feel the burn in my calf and thigh muscles.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 170 lbs. walking in a therapy pool so Yeah I would log it....... but that is me..... Best of Luck!!
  • Lieann22
    Lieann22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24lbs since new year walking - so a def yes!!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I power walk at a 13:30 pace three or more miles a day on hills. It burns an incredible amount of calories and I feel much more energized as well. My goal is to power walk a half marathon next spring.

I don't eat anything extra to compensate, although it also allows me to go over my 1000 calorie a day goal by a few without feeling guilty.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you do it xtra, the you can log it.
    If it is a part of your normal life don't do it.

The walk to your car isn't walking :)

I like walking as an exersice, you can do it everywhere anytime and as short or long as you want.

And you don't have to eat all your earned calories.

There are a lot of apps that wil calculate how much calories U use (based on your weight etc.)

Marc
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YES YOU SHOULD!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use the Map My walk App. It uses the GPS in your phone so you can change your route and still know exactly how far you've gone.

I don't count walking to my car, walking the dogs, grocery shopping and other routine walking in my count--that's normal daily stuff and anything that doesn't get your heart rate elevated and/or get you to break a sweat isn't exercise in my opinion.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 170 lbs. walking in a therapy pool so Yeah I would log it....... but that is me..... Best of Luck!!
    WOW!!! thats all i can say...Craziness good for you!!! Walking it is :)
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Thats helpful, I wouldnt log walking around the house or to my car thats just extra haha
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I was confused to so I started using a Hoveround when I wasn't running. Now I have the mobility to go wherever I want to go, when I want to go without the hassle of worrying about calories burned.

tumblr_mk1botBsMR1rdbmggo1_500.jpg

Everyone in my neighborhood uses these things.

tumblr_m71463904n1qcgqq4o1_500.jpg