Anyone out here training for a Tough Mudder in 2013?

Options
2»

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I did my first last year at the Tri-state. It was a lot of fun.

I am doing one this year on June 2 in New Hampshire (Boston Area).
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Me, my husband, son and daughter are all signed up for the Buffalo/Andover one in July. I can't wait. I have been doing Les Mills Pump, Les Mills Combat programs to get ready for it. I will have to start doing some jogging soon too though. Combat has 2 killer HIIT workouts in it and Pump is all weights. Hopefully this will be enough to make it through!!
  • merinabullock
    Options
    In beatty? Me tooooooo! Also first timer. Never be so excited & terrified at the same time
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first on May 11th in Toronto. Been training through outdoor hill running and gradually increasing distance since September. With 4 weeks left have a lot of work to do with my upper body strength. Getting nervous, but very excited at the same time.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first on May 11th in Toronto. Been training through outdoor hill running and gradually increasing distance since September. With 4 weeks left have a lot of work to do with my upper body strength. Getting nervous, but very excited at the same time.
    I'm doing that one as well. Been doing Insanity, one long run per week including hills and. Just added two strength workouts per week. Let me know your start time. Maybe we can meet up!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Did my first one last July at Mt Snow. At my (ahem) advancing age It was painful, but in an addictive sort of way. I"m trying to decide between doing another TM or a half marathon this year.

At New England TM events, its all about the hills, so train for hills, hills, hills. Most of the obstacles are fun, but a few are "less than fun". Did I mention LOTS OF STEEP HILLS?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I are looking at the Tampa Tough Mudder in November. We're doing a Warrior Dash this Saturday will build from there. If anyone has done both races, besides the mileage, how do they compare?
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this in September and I'm terrified that I may *kitten* myself/die/die from sh*tting myself.

Guess it's time to work my butt off/take out a life insurance policy/invest in some clean underwear.
  • whairigaila
    Options
    I'm doing my first TM in August 24th in Dalkeith, Scotland. Its 128 days away if anyone is interested.

I am very worried about dying. Actually dying. lol.

I do Les Mills Combat, Pump, Attack, Jam and Metafit and back to bootcamp this week :-s xx
  • Cassidy_Jean
    Options
    Me! I'm looking to do the New England TM this year. I started following their bootcamp workout and I can honestly say I need to step up my game. It kicks my *kitten* every time.

Oh, and anyone else training for one, add me! I'm looking to motivate/be motivated for this
  • fitmom2000
    fitmom2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm training for Buffalo at the end of July. Am getting very nervous, I really need to drop 20 - 25 pounds between now and then to be ready. When I signed up we had so long to train for it --- amazing how the time flew by, and I still have the same 20 pounds to lose. Started a more focused regimen today --- upping water intake, more hill running, less sugar. Here we GO!!!!!
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Oh geeze good luck! I think in like 2 or more years I might be ready :p. I did the Warrior Dash last August and that (much easier than tough mudder) kicked my butt. I'm doing it again this year in hopes that I can do much better this year :p.
  • afield17
    afield17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the MS Muckfest this weekend with a team from my gym. I believe its a similar event. We've been training twice a week for a couple of months. Ours is at Ft Devens, MA?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've just signed up for one - got 23 weeks of training to fit and hopefully get my fitness up a few notches. The kids are spurring me on and are coming to watch me.
  • rugbygirlca
    rugbygirlca Posts: 85
    Options
    My daughter and I are looking at the Tampa Tough Mudder in November. We're doing a Warrior Dash this Saturday will build from there. If anyone has done both races, besides the mileage, how do they compare?

I have not done both, but most of my Tough Mudder group has done the Warrior Dash multiple times. They all said the same thing "They are very different types of races"

Warrior Dash is 5K. Obstacles are not that hard. Focus is on finishing the race as fast as you possibly can. Most do it alone (you might have a group of friends with you, but you run it as fast as you can...like a regular running race).

Tough Mudder is 10-12 miles (16-18km). Obstacles are more physically and mentally challenging (generally speaking). The focus is on teamwork. I think it is best done with a group of 4-6 (it's helpful if it's a mix of guys and girls). If you do it alone, you have to rely on the help of strangers at obstacles (which you will receive) and you won't have anyone to high-five at the end of an obstacle and say "holy *&^*, I can't believe we just did that". You can skip obstacles in the Tough Mudder, but it is my opinion that's a waste of everyone's time. Unless you have a medical reason to skip an obstacle...just suck it up and do it. None of them are that bad.

Edited to add that the whole group said that they were both challenging in different ways.
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm training for Colorado's in June. Should be interesting. The only thing I'm concerned about is the website mentioned electric shocks.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'm training for Colorado's in June. Should be interesting. The only thing I'm concerned about is the website mentioned electric shocks.

Lol. So you didn't read about the electroshock (10K Volt) obstacles before you signed up?
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Lol. So you didn't read about the electroshock (10K Volt) obstacles before you signed up?

I was hoodwinked by my physically fit and mean friend. She recruited me 3 cocktails in while we were out one night and now I'm screwed. I figure it can't be anything worse than Warrior Week at boot camp with the exception of being electrocuted.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

I was hoodwinked by my physically fit and mean friend. She recruited me 3 cocktails in while we were out one night and now I'm screwed. I figure it can't be anything worse than Warrior Week at boot camp with the exception of being electrocuted.

I like your friend. You'll have a great time. The electroshock is over in seconds. Don't think about it, just run. :)
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    i'm doing one in Sept. I've increased my runs to 4 miles (3-4x week). I hope to hit 6 miles by end of summer. I lift heavy weights, kickbox, and Nike Training to gear up. I have completed 5 k and Dirty Girl. I do the Gladiator Rock and Run next month as practice for TM.

At least I got a partner who is stronger than I to do TM w/ me.

Good luck everyone.