Whey Protein... Help?

Options
I've always found the most weight loss success by following a high protein/low carb diet. It's not a fad thing -- I'm a carb ADDICT, but for whatever reason my body responds better to lots of protein.
I've previously lost 45 pounds this way, but it was EXPENSIVE because I was eating vegetarian and vegan foods -- think soy burgers and quorn chick'n. I was easily spending $5 a day on just my protein. Fast forward to now, and I'm looking for the same results, but I cannot afford what I used to eat. It seemed to me that the answer was whey protein. A little over a dollar a day, and I could have more protein than I got from my veggie goodies, and for less calories.
After a heated debate with the hubby about whey making you fat and making me sick to my stomach, I found one I thought I would like -- Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein -- and set out to try it.
Fast forward to this morning: I mixed a scoop in with my Greek yogurt, loved the taste of it, and was proud of myself for liking something so traditionally "healthy". Then came the nausea.
I'm well hydrated, so I know that's not the issue, and I wasn't starving when I ate, either. I even drank some peppermint tea, which is my usual remedy for upset stomach, but it was no use. Six hours later, I'm still kind of queasy. I was really looking forward to using this stuff, but now I'm not sure.
Does anyone have any ideas why it would have made me so sick? I've never had any sort of issues with whey or dairy. Not sure if it matters, but I completed what my day today has been/will be like... maybe there's something I ate that whey normally doesn't mix well with? I'm not versed in the way of the whey.
And in case anyone looks at my diary and feels like scolding me, I know it's a big deficit. I work nights at a truck stop, which means constant walking, reaching, stooping, kneeling, and general motion. Every once in a while I get to stand still to cashier, but I'm still standing. It's normally 7-8 hours a night, no sitting down, no breaks. That's also why I only get to eat a protein bar -- no time to eat anything else. As far as exercising goes, I do a lot more weights than what I have logged -- I just didn't want to take the time to log every single machine and move. Think 360 reps by the end of my circuit.

Replies

• Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Did you check the date on the greek yogurt? It hadn't turned, had it?
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Did you check the date on the greek yogurt? It hadn't turned, had it?
    No, I thought about that and checked it, but I just bought it a week or two ago and the "sell by" was just two days ago. It should have a good 'nother week on it, and there was no funky color/smell. Thanks for suggesting that, though -- that's something I normally wouldn't think of.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Maybe try another source of protein. A few years ago I was on a medically supervised diet that had a lot of soy based items. My body reacted the same way.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That stuff has a whole bunch of other ingredients besides whey that might give you a problem.

None of these ingredients are strictly speaking necessary to your goals:

Super Recovery Blend (Glycine, Creatine Monohydrate, Taurine, Threonine, L-Glutamine, Leucine, Valine, Isoleucine), Maltodextrin, Cocoa (processed with alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Soy Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose

Best advice I can give you is to try to get individual packet sizes to try to see what you will tolerate and what you won't. You might also try halving the dose. I also advise weighing the amount you use, those "scoops" are incredibly inaccurate.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You may be whey sensitive. Many people are sensitive to whey when it comes in a concentrated form. You might be fine with milk, but the much higher concentration in protein powder makes you body "not so happy". Its not uncommon. Go for more traditional proteins like: soy, nuts, meats etc.... Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's my guess.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Different powders can have that effect. Try a different powder.
  • cyberbidder
    Options
    Besides Whey there are egg protein powders and several vegan protein powders. If it happened to me I would try again. Maybe less amount different brand etc.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    NO WHEY!!

whey bothers my tummy too.

I avoid it as much as possible. Even though it is in my beloved Snickers bars...

There are loads of other types of protein powders.

I usually go with soy, because I like soy everything.

However there are many more available; pea, potato, egg white, pure veggie...

a friend just linked me to this website because I wanted to find cheap protein poweders.
    I haven't had a chance to really go through it but it at least shows you how many options there are!

http://www.truenutrition.com/c-54-proteins.aspx

Good luck!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Whey upsets a lot of people's stomachs. You can return it. I have tried it before and that's how I found out it hurt my tummy so I returned it.

I like soy protein, no tummy issues, complete protein. I get the gnc brand, it's also gmo-free and pretty affordable.