Pictures of Results: Cardio vs. Weights

Options
Ok! I am getting totally overwhelmed with conflicting information out there, and I'd love if some of your results pictures could help me.

I have approx 20 pounds til goal. I just finished Insanity, and I run 3 days a week for 30-40 mins. I need to figure out what to do next - my options - Insanity again OR a combo of Insanity and p90x in addition to running 3, maybe more, days a week.

I keep hearing that unless I'm incorporating heavy weights I'm just going to be a flabby thin mess at the end. But with 4 little kids, getting to the gym is nearly impossible - I'd like to keep doing at home workouts. I find it hard to believe that with the body weight component of Insanity, I'm still going to be gross when I hit goal - that said - I don't want to put a whole lot of energy into Insanity if it's not going to help make my body nice at the end - and I will try to figure out the purchase of weights etc. to do at home (which is where P90x comes in)

So, if you all have some after pics and indicate how you achieved your results - through mainly cardio or through lifting heavy, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don´t know much about this. But, to my understanding, with P90x you can do that.

Do the routines for an hour day in your home and you should lose weight and build muscles. Check their success stories here.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?t=p90x1b&s_tnt=44728:3:0

I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to start soon.
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    Beachbody also has a program called Chalean Extreme which uses primarily free weights and focuses on building muscle. I'm not too far into the program yet, but I really enjoy it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I do weight training 2x per week at home using videos by Cathe (I do the STS and the high reps each one once per week). I use adjustable dumbell weights. I have not done insanity or P90x so can't compare, but have had good results lifting. I run about 2-3 x per week in addition to the weight videos.
  • TaminaShock
    TaminaShock Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There are items around your house that you can use as weights. Canned goods blah blah . I remember my father using us as weights. Lol the 30 day shred is good for toning the body. I've seen first hands the results from a friend that never set foot in a gym. Hope this helps!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights will help you retain muscle mass while you lose weight.

Being a thin flabby mess is pretty subjective, and everyone has a different picture of what their ideal body is.

Insanity and P90X are both ultimately cardio. Call them resistance cardio if you want, but they are still cardio. Look into various bodyweight routines if you want to keep working out at home... you can certainly get in a good resistance/strength workout using only bodyweight if you get creative.
  • estey89
    estey89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try the 30 day shred, i'm just starting it but i've done my research.

Lots of inches vs weight loss though... but if you are running 3-5x wk and you do the 30ds it'd be worth it! Toned up!

Look up 30 day shred results on here, a lot of ppl have pictures :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Most people recommend both cardio and resistance training. The resistance training does not have to be "weights" but should be at a difficulty that stimulates muscle retention. Body weight exercises can accomplish this for a lot of people, at least for a while. Then you need to find ways to make them more difficult. You could also use resistance bands, dumbbells, or other stuff you have around the house.

The benefits of lifting heavy weights are more than just muscle retention though. The weights can be increased in small increments to keep the body adapting to heavier loads within a certain rep range. There are benefits seen in bone density and joint strength as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/812464-show-me-ur-heavy-lifting-results-please?hl=heavy+lifting+results
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/849093-show-me-ur-heavy-lifting-results-please
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky?hl=are+you+bulky
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of things you can do to build muscle and strength train without "weights". Body weight exercises are one (like the strength/power parts of Insanity). I've also done things like kettlebell workouts using a big ol' thing of laundry soap.
  • kt1979
    kt1979 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can incorporate light to medium weights Jillian Michaels has a fitnees video that I swear by it's called no more trouble zones It incorporates light to medium weights with some cardio it's great workout system designed for women. I run 4 times a week and incorporate that video at least 2 times a week and I have a child it worked wonders for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You can incorporate light to medium weights Jillian Michaels has a fitnees video that I swear by it's called no more trouble zones It incorporates light to medium weights with some cardio it's great workout system designed for women. I run 4 times a week and incorporate that video at least 2 times a week and I have a child it worked wonders for me.

what does that even mean???
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others, you won't be a "mess" but you will be happier and better off if you incorporate weight training now.

If I could go back and tell my 2004 self who was losing weight from my last baby that I could have fabulous legs and a toned midsection by lifting heavy weights, I would have started then instead of wasting hours doing pointless stuff that really, I could have accomplished just through diet. Instead, I've spent the last 3 years basically undo-ing what I did and slowly building muscle.

Case in point - I weighed 105 pounds here (5'4" so I was a size 0-1) - note the flabby thighs/cellulite (also note: only did DVD videos and the elliptical trainer at home)

oldlegs.jpg

Now - 112 pounds - less body fat - still size 0-2 - and I'm 8 years older!!! In my mid 30's now, not the 20's anymore, firm, shapely legs, no/minimal cellulite - I only do 40 minutes of cardio a week in the form of 2 sessions of HIIT for 20 minutes (running/sprinting). 4 days of lifting. (Not the greatest picture but you can see how much more in shape my legs are now)

legs.jpg
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Oh and one the best parts of lifting "heavy" is that being strong makes you feel like a badass. : )
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Oh and one the best parts of lifting "heavy" is that being strong makes you feel like a badass. : )

Baha - I've got that part covered - I'm a mom to 4 little kids - that's how I feel every single day - putting out fires, making healthy meals - making this household tick...that gives me the charge I need :)

in all seriousness though, I really just want to be fit and healthy and look nice, I don't have aspirations of being ripped...I don'\t know if that makes a difference in people's responses.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others, you won't be a "mess" but you will be happier and better off if you incorporate weight training now.

If I could go back and tell my 2004 self who was losing weight from my last baby that I could have fabulous legs and a toned midsection by lifting heavy weights, I would have started then instead of wasting hours doing pointless stuff that really, I could have accomplished just through diet. Instead, I've spent the last 3 years basically undo-ing what I did and slowly building muscle.

Case in point - I weighed 105 pounds here (5'4" so I was a size 0-1) - note the flabby thighs/cellulite (also note: only did DVD videos and the elliptical trainer at home)

oldlegs.jpg

Now - 112 pounds - less body fat - still size 0-2 - and I'm 8 years older!!! In my mid 30's now, not the 20's anymore, firm, shapely legs, no/minimal cellulite - I only do 40 minutes of cardio a week in the form of 2 sessions of HIIT for 20 minutes (running/sprinting). 4 days of lifting. (Not the greatest picture but you can see how much more in shape my legs are now)

legs.jpg

You look AMAZING!! What a difference - wow!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Baha - I've got that part covered - I'm a mom to 4 little kids - that's how I feel every single day - putting out fires, making healthy meals - making this household tick...that gives me the charge I need :)

in all seriousness though, I really just want to be fit and healthy and look nice, I don't have aspirations of being ripped...I don'\t know if that makes a difference in people's responses.

Cool. Being ripped is just a process of losing body fat. Restricting calories will allow you to lose weight. Doing resistance training while in a calorie deficit makes the weight loss come almost completely from body fat. Once you reach the level of leanness you like, you increase calories to maintenance.
  • RobertInCypress
    Options
    I'm a total cardio guy but I like to use kettlebells a couple times a week to tone everything up & keep my body balanced out. A kettlebell routine is almost like doing cardio & weights. I love working with them because it doesn't take long (20 minutes?) to get in a good workout, they get your heart rate up while building muscle. Another good thing about them is that they don't have to be too heavy to get a nice workout in, I use a 25 lb kettlebell & its a tough, awesome workout.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. It is a 90 day program consisting of 12 DVD's. You use 3, 5, and 8 pound dumbbells to start and you can always go heavier. She really does a great job at making you feel good about your body and you will feel strong! I lost 22 pounds and inches all over my body. (that was after losing 15 pounds and many inches from 45 days of 30Day Shred- also a goody).

I second Jillian's No More Trouble Zones, it is great, but you might get bored if you do it every day so best to incorporate it into your week.

I am doing Insanity now and I miss Jillian, if you've never tried her give it a chance (it's nothing like how she is on the biggest loser).

Good luck!
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm a total cardio guy but I like to use kettlebells a couple times a week to tone everything up & keep my body balanced out. A kettlebell routine is almost like doing cardio & weights. I love working with them because it doesn't take long (20 minutes?) to get in a good workout, they get your heart rate up while building muscle. Another good thing about them is that they don't have to be too heavy to get a nice workout in, I use a 25 lb kettlebell & its a tough, awesome workout.
    if you care about your heartrate while doing resistance training you're doing it wrong.. totally different energy systems in the body.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    here's a great article from someone who lost weight with cardio, then swapped over to eating tons of food and powerlifting. along with thoughts on the whole process.

TLDR: lift weights

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/