Food for comfort?

Options
When im feeling down i always make myself something yummy yo eat to make myself feel better.. i know this is a bad way to do it but thats the only way i know how... does anyone have any alternative solutions?

Replies

• anij67
    anij67 Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't have a solution but I have the same question! I hope someone can help.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    listen to music, read something inspirational or positive, go for a walk get away from the situation,
    Food is for fuel and we have to deal with the other stuff with out it or we'll always struggle with weight.
    I look to what I have that is positive in my life instead of dwelling on the bad..and it makes food less appealing.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Once you choose something to take your mind off food, and make it a habit, you will not longer even crave the food!

Try exercise to increase endorphins and fight off hunger... even a light walk can help! Or, like kerrymh said, read a book or get some music... or eat something like an apple!
  • MissTam
    MissTam Posts: 5
    Options
    I am the same,Candice.. But I don't worry too much about it.. I wont change that part of me because there is nothing wrong with it,for me anyway.. As with me its not an every day thing so I am in control.. Every fortnight I even make one day where I do not diet.. I eat whatever.. I dont go overboard.. No.. But I have my chai latte and a big roast meal and yummy other things which at the end of the day is probably double my calorie intake.. I for me that works.. If I am having a bad day or I need comfort food I think about that one day I get to have a rest and a treat and for me that puts me back on track not to snack or be naughty. ;-).

But to get over that hump of NOT giving in I normally listen to music or go for a walk away from any food.. Once I get over that few minutes of thinking food will comfort me I am alright again.
  • nikolerock
    nikolerock Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Food has been such a source of comfort for me. The last month I have been readjusting my thinking and consider it fuel. I feel frustrated when I can't eat something tasty, potato chips with a good dip. Thing is, I only want to eat bad things when I am depressed. I read somewhere that carbs boost serotonin in the brain.