How difficult is a half marathon?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I am tempted to sign up for a half marathon on October 24th. I've been running for about a year now, and I've run several 5Ks and one 10K (this past June). Would it be difficult to run a half since I can run 6 miles without too much trouble? There's a training schedule in Runner's World that doesn't look too difficult.

Replies

• itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Amy you could TOTALLY do it!!!! Go for it!

My Co-Worker ran one last year with only about 3 months of training under belt and no 5K's or 10K's. You would be totally fine.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it myself (I'm nowhere near ready), but one of my friends trained and ran one. She had been doing shorter runs for years and decided to train for it before she started her family (was afraid she'd never be able to do it after kids!). She completed it, but did find it more difficult than she thought it would be, even after training. About 1/2 block from the finish she threw up on her shoes. I guess she was at her limit!
  • philenam
    philenam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have already been running so a half marathon would definitely be achievable. I have been running half marathons since 2006. As long as you train, you will be fine. At the finish line, it is an unbelievable feeling. You can do it!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Do it!
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you yet but my first one will be in Dec this year. I have signed up and so far the farthest I have run is 60 minutes without walking and got a little over 6 miles on the treadmill and once outside and got 5.25 miles. I will be ready, and I have not really started running until this year. I'm sure that you can do it.
  • kblake11
    kblake11 Posts: 3
    Options
    Agree. Definatley do it, but train for it. I have done one 1/2 marathon, several 10K and did a long distance relay over a 8,000 foot summit. It is such and incredible confidence boost.
  • ehgromero
    ehgromero Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely go for it and NO it's not too difficult. I'm a proven fact. I began running, starting with only ONE lap, and them moved on to two laps then one mile and so on - until I was able to move on to a 5k and then a 10k...as long as you can do a 10k you have plenty of time to prepare for OCT.

Just keep yourself motivated, run, rest and walk alot - all are good for preparing your training. I was a faithful marathon runner for 8 years straight, and then I started going to college full-time, as you know, something will give - and my running did. My goal this year is to run the Long Beach Marathon in OCT - I've been running only a few miles here and there, BUT I know what it takes and I'm ready to hit that 26.2 mile run, even without a lot of training behind me in these past few months. It's funny how your body remembers those long runs and it will remember it can go the distance. Our bodies are amazing, so hang in there and as Nike says..."Just do it"

Keep us updated...one mile at a time and you'll get there.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Thanks! The training plan in Runner's World is 10 weeks, so that shouldn't be too difficult.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I just did my 1st half this spring. It was great.
    Being at 6 miles now, and plenty of time before the race, if you follow the program you'll have no problems at all in the half.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am tempted to sign up for a half marathon on October 24th. I've been running for about a year now, and I've run several 5Ks and one 10K (this past June). Would it be difficult to run a half since I can run 6 miles without too much trouble? There's a training schedule in Runner's World that doesn't look too difficult.

OMG if you are fit and healthy go for it!!!

You know what you are doing anyway, all the very best with the training and ultimately the race. You've been training for a while and it's not as if you have thought "think I'll take up running, now what can I run first, I know, a half marathon!" You think I'm joking, there are nutters out there like that :laugh:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Like you, I've been running 6 miles. Last weekend, I signed up to run the Detroit 1/2 marathon on Oct 17th. I entered info into the Runner's World site that is 15 weeks of training and looks very doable. Maybe we should start a fall 1/2 marathon training group? I hope you decide to run the race. We can do it!!!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Like you, I've been running 6 miles. Last weekend, I signed up to run the Detroit 1/2 marathon on Oct 17th. I entered info into the Runner's World site that is 15 weeks of training and looks very doable. Maybe we should start a fall 1/2 marathon training group? I hope you decide to run the race. We can do it!!!
    I found that on RW also. That would be cool to do a fall half trainers thread. I put that I'm starting my training next week, but I will be taking the week off the last week of July for vacation. I might run then some, but I will have to watch out for bears. Yikes!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Bears are nothing - they are a daily threat for me!! I ran 6 miles last weekend from my house to my moms - we live in a very rural area. When I get there, she says "did I tell I saw a bear crossing the road last night?" :noway: And she let me run alone right by that area... Wear bells on your shoes or run with someone you can outrun. I'll start a thread this weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it..
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lol seriously avoid the bears they will rip your entire face off.