Does anyone work in an office that sabotages them?

Options
124»

Replies

• jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Haha! Just had this problem today. For birthdays we always have a variety of cupcakes brought in from a local bakery. In the past, I've actually gone as far as to pick up a cupcake, claim I had to get back to work so I'd eat it at my desk, then toss it in the trash in my office. Yeah, I know that's pathetic. But the one time I tried to explain that I was trying to cut back on sweets, they laughed at me and said it was a "special occasion". Today I got suckered into standing there so I just ate the stupid cupcake and now I feel awful. Like literally, the cupcake has irritated my stomach. Awesome.

You don't owe them any sort of explanation, you know that, right? You can just say "No, I don't want one, thanks. They look great though, enjoy." Don't leave space for rebuttal. "Awwww but it's a special occasion!" can also be rebutted with "And I'm really happy, I just don't want a cupcake/donut/big mac/gallon of ice cream between two desk sized poptarts right now".

At most, these people are enabling you to sabotage yourself. Absolutely none of the blame for what you chose to put in your mouth belongs with them.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not blaming them. I ate the cupcake. But I really don't like confrontation and even the most polite "thanks, but no thanks" would be met with resistance (thus, the previous secret throwing away of the cupcake). I could get angry and I'm sure they'd stop, but they'd also probably think I was a little nuts too. It's easier just to be frustrated once in awhile. I was just relating with the topic, that's all.
  • kliermann
    kliermann Posts: 514
    Options
    Does the grocery store sabotage you when you go shopping? I mean, all those offerings of such a wide variety of foods. How do you resist?

if the store offered only bad food for free i would say yes

Not only that, but you go to the grocery store for the purpose of buying food (you don't go to work looking for food), you get to choose what you buy, and you don't have to worry about offending the store owner because you chose fruit over cookies. It's not the same thing at all.

At some point though, you just have to stand up for yourself and say no. I feel bad even when I'm at a family function and have to turn down someone's beloved dessert. At Easter, my sister-in-law's mom made two different desserts (a cake and a cobbler), and she asked me to try them. I said no. She later asked me to take some home with me. I said no again. I think she felt insulted, but this is someone who KNOWS that I don't eat things like that, and I feel like people need to get it through their heads that at a pot-luck sort of meal, you bring your dish and you let people choose whether or not to eat it. You don't try to cram it down their throats and get mad when they don't want any.

ohhhh after how crappy i feel inside now i prolly not gonna have problem turning food down anymore ha
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I work in an office with 5 other guys.

They all eat incredibly unhealthy lunches every day.

Today, the 5 of them got this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx-zXYcGKGdyFNvDPcb7P3n2Dx2SxerD9tA5i7K3f5lo3RMH9Z

A deep fried chicken/veal sandwich smothered in sugary tomato sauce and cheese.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa it gets pretty hard sometimes.

I am gonna go buy a salad and some chicken :D

OMG, my mouth is watering right now looking at that....way to go on turning it down, I'm not sure I would've....:smile:

Eyyy that thing looks amazing and terrible at the same time haha

Haha yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

They have been doing it every week / every other week for nearly a year now. I think I have become mostly immune.

I still take a bite of my brothers every now and then lmao. And trust me, its ****ing amazing. About 1500+ calories for the sandwich.. But oh god is it worth it LOL.

Brb while I inhale a mountain of bean sprouts and chicken breast.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    YES!!! They are always bringing donuts, bagels, pizza, etc etc etc and it's all for free... for a broke college student on a diet, it's very tempting.
    But, I stay strong, and keep my head up! :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    YES!!! They are always bringing donuts, bagels, pizza, etc etc etc and it's all for free... for a broke college student on a diet, it's very tempting.
    But, I stay strong, and keep my head up! :drinker:

If you're broke, go ahead and eat the free food! Make sure to fit it into your macros for the day and you're golden. I'm all about free food.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Work at a school and parents bring cupcakes, donughts and other treats for their kids birthday.
    The teachers do so as well, and everyone orders out all the time so it gets pretty tought to stay on
    track. Today for example we had FREE caramel ice cream cones... I indulged :)
  • mommyofoneinwi
    Options
    I am lucky; we work in teams and my team is VERY health conscious. Some of the other teams, not so much.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat anything that doesn't fit into your diet plan. Theres so many chocolates / sweets out every day at my work and I never eat them. No-one thinks any differently of me.