the importance of grains?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
My husband has been reading some other message boards, and weight loss methods have come up. Several people, including personal trainers, have recommended cutting WAY down on grains and getting all your fiber from vegetables and some fruits. They eat grains (i.e. bread and pasta) about 2 times per week. So, what else do grains provide that make them important? Can't I just get whatever those important nutrients are from other foods without all the carbs?

(By the way, I am not a fan of Atkins or any other specified diet. I am just curious about this.)

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    No idea, but bumping because I want to hear what people have to say. I don't eat grains very often either, at least I think I don't. My food diary may differ. :)
  • Myradin
    Myradin Posts: 6
    Options
    Whole grains are very important to the body. In terms of glucose release, taking in complex carbs, which include whole grains like millet, quinoa, wheat, rye, etc, allow for a sustained and balanced glucose uptake. High fiber, high sugar foods like vegetable and fruits tend to hit the system fast and then burn out. But if you pair (pear?, no pun intended!) the fruit/vege with a whole grain then you avoid sudden spikes and drops in blood sugar which lead to weight gain.

To sum up, complex carbs and sustained glucose release are an important key to weight loss! Quite a few companies are capitalizing on the concept, like Almased, and marketing it to people with diabetes. But the truth is replacing so-called whole wheat bread with a sprouted 7-grain will make a big difference in your diet and overall health. (The sprouted breads have natural protein too!) You can also get sprouted pastas which toss up really nicely with lots of vege and a light stir fry sauce.

Take the stress off your pancreas and eat a small buckwheat cake with some blackberries and a little dollop of whipped whole cream for breakfast! You will feel so good and your waistline will thank you.