any hypothyroidism or fibromyalgia sucess stories?

brianafaye2
brianafaye2 Posts: 166 Member
Hi everyone, my name is Bri and I will be 20 on may 8th. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few yrs ago, and I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 days ago. I have only lost 5 lbs in a little over 2 months, but slow progress is better then no progress! I was wondering if there was anyone who accomplished their goal, or is close while haveing one or both of these conditions. I need hope that it is possible to lose all of the weight!

Replies

• HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    I feel the same way. I've had hypothyroidsm for about 6 years and have always found it difficult to lose weight. However, with regular meals and the right amount of calories I've lost, so far, 14 pounds. It has been slow and I have been doing this since the end of January, but they say slow weight loss is better than fast. :) Feel free to add me! :)
  • bluebirds5
    bluebirds5 Posts: 92 Member
    I have had hypothyroidism for approx 5 years. Losing weight has been difficult for me at times in my life. I started really trying lose weight in Jan. 2013. I have lost about 33 lbs from my highest weight (which was in Jan. this year). I just decided enough was enough. I started only with diet only and had a hysterectomy 4 weeks after I started. I was not able to exercise until about 7-8 weeks into my journey. One of the major things I did for myself was give up soda. I drank soda every day. I walk about 5-6 days a week now. As of this week my thyroid levels at their best ever since the first time they tested me with no increase in medication :) I am now at a .6 which I did not think was possible for me. You can do this and you will feel better than ever!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Hypo here.

I lost 20# here, gained about 8# back because I got lazy.

And I'm a runner now!
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    I had my thyroid removed 6 months ago after developing hypothyroidism post pregnancy. I have lost about 15 pounds but its been a struggle. I thought once my levels were sorted out then the weight would just fall off of me- unfortunately thats not the case. It is down to eating properly and exercising more. Just be patient and keep working at it
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    I have fibromyalgia. It's a struggle some days to get up and get active...you will learn that your motto when it comes to activity is "do what you can". Being active actually helps keep the pain flares at bay. I highly recommend any activities in water (swimming laps, water aerobics), and yoga. Best of luck to you!
  • sheshappynow
    sheshappynow Posts: 88 Member
    Right here, I have both. I joined MFP on January 7th and so far have lost 37 pounds and many inches. Best part is my thyroid was normal at last doctors visit and my cholesterol has dropped alot and my fibro has not bothered me once! Proves that the extra weight really does do damage to our bodies. Keep up the hard work with exercise,logging daily and water lots of it will get you to your goal.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    i have hypothyroidism- was diagnosed 13 years ago at 26 years old. Im fit and healthy.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism back in September. I had no signs other than a multi-nodule goiter on my neck that was 5cm in diameter. I noticed it after losing about 60lbs Which I had removed on January 25, 2013. Funny thing is, I was not gaining weight like most people do with this disease. Maybe due to the intense cardio I was doing. I wasn't losing that fast either. I always knew that this could be possible, but never went to the doctor until the tumor became noticeable. Since the surgery I have lost 13lbs. Now I am Hyperthyroid. I currently take 300mcg of Levorthyroxine. My heart has been racing like mad even at rest, so my doctor will take me down to 200mcg at the end of the month. Good luck to all. It is very challenging having to deal with this disease and keep our weight down.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid 3 years ago. Part of my story is on my profile page, but you can find the rest of it in my blog, here on MFP. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mariposa224 It wasn't easy, and, I imagine that fibromyalgia will add to the difficulty. But you CAN do it. :smile: Best wishes to you!

ETA: I'm 40 years old now, reached my goal 8 months ago & have maintained it since. I've never been smaller, since I was a child, than I am now. The last time I remember wearing jeans this small, I was in 8th grade. Oh, and I probably weigh at least 20 lbs more than I did at that time, that's the awesome things about resistance training (and weight training). Muscle is much more dense than fat, so you can weigh more but actually take up less space. lol I wanted to be 140 lbs (which I am), but figured I might get to a size 8. I wear 4s & 6s. :happy:
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    I've had hypo for around 6 years. It's possible to lose weight but it takes a lot of work and real commitment to a clean diet, and you need to stay committed once you reach maintenance. I lost 22 pounds and it took me a year of calorie counting and regular exercise to do it. However, I feel like since I have to work so much harder to lose weight than many people do, I am going to make sure that I maintain a lifestyle that will keep the weight off! :smile:
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    I have had hypothyroidism for 26 years. I discovered it when I didn't lose weight after my first pregnancy. It was a struggle, but 12 years ago I started to eat food with a low glycemic index. That helped me lose 25 pounds over two years, and maintain it for almost 10 years. Then some more changes made me gain half of that back. That's when I started using MFP, and with strict logging and control of what I ate, I lost what I had gained and then some, 28 pounds all together. Since I was at my biggest, I have lost 22 kilos.

It's been hard work, but it's been worth it. I am lighter, healthier and have more energy in the periods when I have been able to control what I eat than when I have ignored my health.

Good luck!
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    I'm hypothroid and having success. Feel free to add me for encouragement and/or accountability. Be sure to mention you saw me on this thread. Can share more of my story later.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    I'm a near-success story.

My Fibro medications and supplements are logged daily in my open food diary. Anyone is welcome to see what I'm taking.

Weight lifting made my Fibro symptoms worse in the beginning, but the more I do, the less symptoms I have.

I began Intermittent Fasting. After my first 24 hour fast, drinking nothing but water....I had no pain. NO pain. I can't remember a day like that....ever. I'm always hurting, some days more than others. To be able to move in every direction and not hurt was unbelievable. Several hours after eating, the pain returned.

I'm left considering two thoughts. I've read that fasting decreases inflammation. Not sure if this could play a part in it. The other thought is that maybe I do have a food allergy causing it that I have yet to identify. I have fasted several times since then, and I have noticed a huge decrease in symptoms each time. I'm probably going to have to do a full elimination diet. I've already tried eliminating the ones everyone suggests: artificial sweeteners, gluten, dyes, etc. I must be missing something. I haven't come up with all the answers, and I still have days when nothing helps. But, I have DEFINITELY found ways to manage and control the majority of my days. The chronic fatigue....not so much. I know a lot of it also has to do with the meds I'm on.

Hypothyroidsim: I tried out Synthroid and began losing my hair. My thyroid problems come and go. I freaked out at the hair loss, stopped taking the meds, and it's going untreated for now. Eating better and exercising seems to have helped increase my metabolism even with a crappy thyroid. I'm still losing 2-3 lbs. most weeks, and that's while taking Fibro meds that make weight loss difficult.

So, I DO believe it can be managed. It has taken a lot of patience and persistence. I have had to learn to listen to my body a lot more, and adjust my life and habits considerably. My goal is to get off ALL the meds, and lead as normal of a life as I can. I refuse to allow FM to disable me if I can help it. At least I'm not going down without a fight.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    I was diagnosed hypo in 2008-2009. I've gained and lost since then on a few different diets, but since jan 2012 I've lost 25 lbs and maintained that loss. It's not easy all the time, but the scale has moved in the right direction and stayed there.
  • helloitsali
    helloitsali Posts: 10 Member
    hi! i have hypothryoidism (hashimoto's disease) and two years ago i lost 40+ pounds in 4-5 months. i don't have a "final" picture but this is as close as i have. unfortunately after that things got bad within my family and i had other issues that cause me to gain it back, but i'm working on it now again and losing at about the same rate!

e18df342-269f-4b24-b57a-23ab6fc8c03b.jpg[/URL]

Photoon2011-08-23at2326.jpg[/URL]
  • sarcosis1
    sarcosis1 Posts: 42
    I have hypothyroidism. I have lost 73lbs total and I'm still losing so don't lose hope, it can be done with enough hard work. Good luck!
  • msvane22
    msvane22 Posts: 3
    Good to read all of your stories I have Hypothyroidism that is now in control- but losing weight feeld like a losing battle....you have given me some motivation.
  • brianafaye2
    brianafaye2 Posts: 166 Member
    Thank all of u for ur inspiratinal stories. I apreciate them alot! I just need patience, hard work, and dedication, and I will be able to make this happen! :) I'm excited to see what the future holds for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!