Squat bar is starting to bruise/hurt my shoulders - tips?

Options

Replies

• fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Bar position looks good. Grip looks a little wide possibly. If you bring your grip in, you should be able to create a better shelf that will keep the bar off your shoulders a bit. Of you could try high bar.

Take a look at the Rip video (linked in earlier post) it concurs with what Sara is saying @ arms being a bit wide.
    Edit: copying link over:

What narrowing grip does (apparently, just quoting Rip): is it provides more of a packed muscle padding for the bar (as they squeeze in to support it).

Also: picture #2 seems about the right height, picture #3 may have it sliding a little too low.

There's another video where he recommends your feet being in a line under hips, facing outwards (i.e., not perhaps as wide as picture #1 would appear), though that should probably not affect shoulder pain i suppose.

Thanks! Maybe that's my problem, that it was just slightly too low. I think the day I bruised my arms / made my shoulders worse it was actually even lower than picture 3, judging from where the bruises are (right above the crook of my arm).

I'll check out the video. My heels are usually just slightly wider than my hips, I wasn't really focusing on the rest of my form when I took the pics, just on trying to emulate where I hold the bar :)

Thanks everyone!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Also The reason my hands were slightly wider grip was because of the other shoulder pain I was having before, everyone recommended widening my grip to reduce that pain. LOL
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    find that sweet spot on u back thats pain free. i do high bar. low bar hurts my shoulders due to my poor flexibility
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck switching back and forth between high bar and low bar.

But everyone is different. So much of this is trial and error for each individual that you have to sift through the multitudes of ways to accomplish a lift and just tinker with it till you find the one for you.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think your problem is that the bar is just a little low. You don't look to have any shoulder mobility issues like I do. I have to go much wider then what is optimal because of this. Everyone is built different. Make small adjustments until you find what works for you.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I would watch "So You Think You Can Squat" on YouTube. It's the very best video I've ever seen on teaching squat form and I've watched a few.

I would stay away from gadgets that make squatting more comfortable. It really comes down to form and bar/hand positioning. Also, one of the downsides of SL5x5 is that there is no assistance work which can eventually cause some lagging body parts. I would suggest doing some shoulder shrugs for like 4 sets of 15 reps. That will help develop the traps and should help a little with your issue.

Other intermediate programs:
    - MadCow 5x5: Not bad but very similar to SL5x5, I would recommend going with something different first and then come back if you find you like the 5x5
    - 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler: Very good method, well thought out and gets to the heart of the matter and also introduces assistance work which is pretty key to getting stronger.
    - Westside for Skinny *kitten* Part 1 or Part 3 by Joe DeFranco: Don't let the "Westside" scare you, it's a very simple program that excludes chains and bands. It's a really good method if you still play sports. Part 1 is a 3-day split and Part 3 is a 4-day split.
    - The Cube by Brandon Lily: I'm just starting this myself and so far it's a lot of fun, hard work, but fun.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    I would watch "So You Think You Can Squat" on YouTube. It's the very best video I've ever seen on teaching squat form and I've watched a few.

I would stay away from gadgets that make squatting more comfortable. It really comes down to form and bar/hand positioning. Also, one of the downsides of SL5x5 is that there is no assistance work which can eventually cause some lagging body parts. I would suggest doing some shoulder shrugs for like 4 sets of 15 reps. That will help develop the traps and should help a little with your issue.

- MadCow 5x5: Not bad but very similar to SL5x5, I would recommend going with something different first and then come back if you find you like the 5x5
    - 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler: Very good method, well thought out and gets to the heart of the matter and also introduces assistance work which is pretty key to getting stronger.
    - Westside for Skinny *kitten* Part 1 or Part 3 by Joe DeFranco: Don't let the "Westside" scare you, it's a very simple program that excludes chains and bands. It's a really good method if you still play sports. Part 1 is a 3-day split and Part 3 is a 4-day split.
    - The Cube by Brandon Lily: I'm just starting this myself and so far it's a lot of fun, hard work, but fun.

Thanks! I've seen some of those videos too, they are great.

Yeah I kind of consider anything on the bar cheating so I'm not intending on using it. I don't have a ton of flexibility issues in my shoulders as someone else pointed out, although putting my arms back has become more difficult as I've gone up in squats. I think there are a few things making my shoulders hurt
    1) I think the bar is a little bit too low. Maybe a little higher will be better
    2) I think the weights I'm at now are too high for a beginner program like SL5x5. I actually didn't know until today that I was supposed to go down to 3x5 when I started getting to higher weights, and that's actually what I did yesterday, only 3x5 for squats bc I just couldn't do more!
    3) I think squatting 3x per week (ie every workout) is too much at this weight. I think it's time for a new program that has accessories and only does back squats 1x per week. Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards Wendler's 5/3/1 so I can start doing assistance work.

I've decided on this (based off the options in 5/3/1)
    Day 1:
    OHP 5/3/1
    DB Shoulder Press 3x 8-10
    Lat pulldowns 3x8-10
    triceps 3x8-10

Day 2:
    Deads 5/3/1
    Leg Curls 3x8-10
    hack squats 3x8-10
    abs

Day 3:
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Dips or pushups 3x8-10
    Bent over rows 3x5
    Triceps 3x8-10

Day 4:
    Squats 5/3/1
    Good Mornings 3x8-10
    Leg Presses 3x8-10
    Abs.

His program that is like the one I'm aiming for recommends 5 sets of 10-20 reps for the accessory work but I'd rather do higher weight and do 3 sets at 8-10.

Anyone have any thoughts on this set up? I'm excited to hit some PRs for my 1 reps :) I think this is the right choice for me. I tried to balance the accessory work and choose ones that I like to do, but any suggestions on moving things around to better days is greatly appreciated!
  • JNick77
    Options

Yeah I kind of consider anything on the bar cheating so I'm not intending on using it. I don't have a ton of flexibility issues in my shoulders as someone else pointed out, although putting my arms back has become more difficult as I've gone up in squats. I think there are a few things making my shoulders hurt
    1) I think the bar is a little bit too low. Maybe a little higher will be better
    2) I think the weights I'm at now are too high for a beginner program like SL5x5. I actually didn't know until today that I was supposed to go down to 3x5 when I started getting to higher weights, and that's actually what I did yesterday, only 3x5 for squats bc I just couldn't do more!
    3) I think squatting 3x per week (ie every workout) is too much at this weight. I think it's time for a new program that has accessories and only does back squats 1x per week. Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards Wendler's 5/3/1 so I can start doing assistance work.

Day 1:
    OHP 5/3/1
    Lat pulldowns 3x8-10
    triceps 3x8-10

Day 2:
    Deads 5/3/1
    Leg Curls 3x8-10
    hack squats 3x8-10
    abs

Day 3:
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Dips or pushups 3x8-10
    Bent over rows 3x5
    Triceps 3x8-10

Day 4:
    Squats 5/3/1
    Good Mornings 3x8-10
    Leg Presses 3x8-10
    Abs.

His program that is like the one I'm aiming for recommends 5 sets of 10-20 reps for the accessory work but I'd rather do higher weight and do 3 sets at 8-10.

Anyone have any thoughts on this set up? I'm excited to hit some PRs for my 1 reps :) I think this is the right choice for me. I tried to balance the accessory work and choose ones that I like to do, but any suggestions on moving things around to better days is greatly appreciated!

That's cool. Yes, squatting 3-times a week caused some problems for my hips so it does get a little strenuous at time.

RE your 5/3/1: I would really just do things as he lays them out, i.e. 5 sets of 10, as there's a reason for the volume. Once you get a feel for the program you can adjust to your liking.
    A. Day 1: For your DB OHP either do the 5 sets of 10 or you can use a DB that you can press for a minimum of 15-reps on the first set and you basically do a rep max-out for two sets. When you can do like 25 reps on the first set it's time to increase the weight a little.
    - Chin-ups / Pull-ups in-place of lat pulldowns if you can. You can always get bands to help assist you on those.
    - You could add DB or BB Rows

B. Day 2
    - Romanian Deadlifts or Good Mornings in-place of Leg Curls. Maybe use the leg curls at the end of your workout for like 3 sets of 20 reps just to exhaust the hamstrings.
    - Split Squats, Lunges, or even high-rep barbell squats in place of the hack squat. Although the Hack Squat isn't horrible I guess, just better alternatives.
    - Add back hyperextensions, hold a DB if you can

C. Day 3
    - I would say dips over push-ups
    - Bent over rows are good but increase the reps. Checkout a video on YouTube called Kroc Rows, basically high-rep rows with the heaviest DB you can manage. Awesome for upper back and grip strength, plus it helps with your bench.

D. Day 4 actually looks pretty good I think.

But as I mentioned above, would just do things as he lays them out for at least the first cycle or two and then make adjustments. The good thing about 5/3/1 is that it is flexible enough to accommodate change whereas the SL/MC5x5 are a little too rigid.

Form breakdowns happen. Once and a while I have to take a step back and say WTF am I doing wrong and spend a little extra time in warm-ups sets to make sure I'm good.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My gym has a pad that you can attach to the bar to help make it more comfortable...
  • fittiephd
    Options

Day 1:
    OHP 5/3/1
    Lat pulldowns 3x8-10
    triceps 3x8-10

Day 2:
    Deads 5/3/1
    Leg Curls 3x8-10
    hack squats 3x8-10
    abs

Day 3:
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Dips or pushups 3x8-10
    Bent over rows 3x5
    Triceps 3x8-10

Day 4:
    Squats 5/3/1
    Good Mornings 3x8-10
    Leg Presses 3x8-10
    Abs.

That's cool. Yes, squatting 3-times a week caused some problems for my hips so it does get a little strenuous at time.

RE your 5/3/1: I would really just do things as he lays them out, i.e. 5 sets of 10, as there's a reason for the volume. Once you get a feel for the program you can adjust to your liking.
    A. Day 1: For your DB OHP either do the 5 sets of 10 or you can use a DB that you can press for a minimum of 15-reps on the first set and you basically do a rep max-out for two sets. When you can do like 25 reps on the first set it's time to increase the weight a little.
    - Chin-ups / Pull-ups in-place of lat pulldowns if you can. You can always get bands to help assist you on those.
    - You could add DB or BB Rows

B. Day 2
    - Romanian Deadlifts or Good Mornings in-place of Leg Curls. Maybe use the leg curls at the end of your workout for like 3 sets of 20 reps just to exhaust the hamstrings.
    - Split Squats, Lunges, or even high-rep barbell squats in place of the hack squat. Although the Hack Squat isn't horrible I guess, just better alternatives.
    - Add back hyperextensions, hold a DB if you can

C. Day 3
    - I would say dips over push-ups
    - Bent over rows are good but increase the reps. Checkout a video on YouTube called Kroc Rows, basically high-rep rows with the heaviest DB you can manage. Awesome for upper back and grip strength, plus it helps with your bench.

D. Day 4 actually looks pretty good I think.

But as I mentioned above, would just do things as he lays them out for at least the first cycle or two and then make adjustments. The good thing about 5/3/1 is that it is flexible enough to accommodate change whereas the SL/MC5x5 are a little too rigid.

Form breakdowns happen. Once and a while I have to take a step back and say WTF am I doing wrong and spend a little extra time in warm-ups sets to make sure I'm good.

Thanks so much for your input!

I guess I can try to do the 5x10-20 like the suggests, I just prefer low volume higher weight work but yeah you're probably right that I should try the program as designed before altering.

Per Day 1, I have bent over barbell rows on Day 3, would it be bad to do it both days? I chose to put it on the same day as bench because that's what I did in stronglifts and I like having a big pull exercise with a big push exercise on the same day.

I can only do about 3 pull ups at this point, but as soon as I get my lat pulldowns up to body weight (I'm close, I can do 100 lbs for 2x10 right now, need to get to 130 or 140) then I will start replacing with pull ups. The reason I chose lat pulldowns was actually to hopefully get better at pull ups :)

Per Day 2: Again, I put the good mornings on Day 4 (it said you could choose which day you wanted to do them on) so that's what I had chosen. Could I put in barbell hip thrusts instead of leg curls? Those work some hamstrings too right? I'm a little embarrassed to do them in the gym but I think that they'll really help with glutes/hamstrings so I could do those instead of leg curls?
    I like the suggestion to add back extensions. I will do that.
    I don't want to do back barbell squats more than one day per week as that is the basis of the problems I've been having. Front squats or hack squats would be fine. I really loathe lunges so I'm trying to avoid them.

Per Day 3: The reason I had put the reps lower for bent over rows was because I do those in stronglifts 5x5 and I wanted to keep doing the same weight as I was doing before. But I guess I can do 5 sets of 10 or something. I will watch that video when I get home later. I think my back has been lagging behind my chest so it probably is a good idea to do higher reps for rows.

I don't want to stray too far from the suggestions he makes for accessory lifts, most of the ones I chose I chose because they were given as options ... here's the options:
    Day 1
    Overhead Press - 5/3/1
    Shoulders or Chest - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
    Lats or Upper Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T - bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
    Triceps - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Day 2
    Deadlift - 5/3/1
    Hamstrings - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Curls, Glute - Ham Raise)
    Quads - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
    Abs - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Sit - ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Day 3
    Bench Press - 5/3/1
    Shoulders or Chest - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
    Lats or Upper Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T - bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
    Triceps - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Day 4
    Squat - 5/3/1
    Low Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Reverse Hyper, Back Raise, Good Morning)
    Quads - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
    Abs - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Sit - ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

ETA: I just looked up what a glute-ham raise was and it is apparently a lot like a back extension like you had suggested to add to Day 2 anyways, so I will definitely do those.
  • JNick77
    Options
    You know I've never looked into the hip thrust, probably for the same reasons your embarrassed to do them in the gym. LOL. There's nothing wrong with Leg Curls, there are just better exercises. If your gym has a GHR then that is one of your main hamstring assistance movements. On days where you're feeling good you could always throw in some leg curls at the end to really hammer your hammies.

Rowing: I don't see any reason to not do them twice a week. One day can always be DB rows, another can be BB rows, or T-Bar rows, or Chest Supported rows. Probably not the end of the world to make one day heavy at 3x5 or 5x5 and one day 5x10.

RE Lats: One thing that might be interesting is to superset your chin-ups with lat pulldowns. Maybe do a set of max rep pull-ups / chin-ups and then go immediately into your lat pulldowns? Maybe... could be worth trying once for a cycle and see how it goes. The best way to get better at pull-ups is to just do them. Though you may want to focus on chin-ups (palms facing you) or neutral grip chins as they are easier than pull-ups (palms away).
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    Bump for later
  • fittiephd
    Options
    You know I've never looked into the hip thrust, probably for the same reasons your embarrassed to do them in the gym. LOL. There's nothing wrong with Leg Curls, there are just better exercises. If your gym has a GHR then that is one of your main hamstring assistance movements. On days where you're feeling good you could always throw in some leg curls at the end to really hammer your hammies.

Rowing: I don't see any reason to not do them twice a week. One day can always be DB rows, another can be BB rows, or T-Bar rows, or Chest Supported rows. Probably not the end of the world to make one day heavy at 3x5 or 5x5 and one day 5x10.

RE Lats: One thing that might be interesting is to superset your chin-ups with lat pulldowns. Maybe do a set of max rep pull-ups / chin-ups and then go immediately into your lat pulldowns? Maybe... could be worth trying once for a cycle and see how it goes. The best way to get better at pull-ups is to just do them. Though you may want to focus on chin-ups (palms facing you) or neutral grip chins as they are easier than pull-ups (palms away).

I'll look around to see if my Gym has that equipment. And that's a good idea to do lower rep / higher rep of rows on different days! I like that. Will probably do DB rows or machine rows for the high rep one... could even do like close grip or something. I'lll look into those other row types you mentioned, I know there are lots of types of rows.

Good idea about the chin ups/ lat pull down super sets. I usually try to do chin ups when I think of it at home since I have a chin up bar, but I do want to get better at them. One goal for 2013 is 10 in a row :) Despite chin ups being easier, I can only do 3 chin ups and 3 pull ups, equal lol.

Thanks again for all the tips!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting for? What level are your lifts?

(sorry, may have missed the answer).
  • JNick77
    Options
    Despite chin ups being easier, I can only do 3 chin ups and 3 pull ups, equal lol.

That's awesome, got one-up on me then. :)
  • fittiephd
    Options

I've been lifting about 13 months now. My squat and dead are at 122% of my body weight, my ohp at 56% and my bench and barbell rows are at 74%. Everything is poised to continue going up except squats bc of my shoulder pain which is what lead me to consider changing programs to one where I don't squat every workout. I was hoping to change to a different program that is 4x per week and includes accessory lifts over the summer bc I have more time, so I'm only pushing the switch up about a month.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I've been lifting about 13 months now. My squat and dead are at 122% of my body weight, my ohp at 56% and my bench and barbell rows are at 74%. Everything is poised to continue going up except squats bc of my shoulder pain which is what lead me to consider changing programs to one where I don't squat every workout. I was hoping to change to a different program that is 4x per week and includes accessory lifts over the summer bc I have more time, so I'm only pushing the switch up about a month.

At the stage you are at I would suggest that changing your program to a split where you only hit each body part 1 x a week will be sub-optimal. I would:

1 - work on form. You mentioned that you seemed to hurt your shoulders the first time when the bar was too low

if that does not help

2 - adapt the current program

Why change the whole program when you are having issues with one lift would be my question.

People jump to intermediate programs far too quickly imo.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I also had this problem! I fixed it by narrowing my grip and lowering the bar. Someone posted a helpful photo to the thread I posted. Let me see if I can find it. One sec...

Ah! Found it.

Scroll down to the guy with the upper arm tattoo and really red face. My back is much more boney than his is though, so the bar didn't sit quite as comfortably looking as his. But it worked!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/936717-upper-back-pain-from-squatting-with-bar

I do the same thing. I bring my hands in as close as possible in order to create a a platform with trapezius. You shouldn't be getting bruising unless you're too high and it's resting on the top of your thoracic vertabrae. Which isn't good.

Ok this. I was wondering why so many people were talking about reducing frequency and all kinds of other stuff, when none of that really addresses the fact that no amount of volume should create shoulder pain like you are describing. I think you are carrying the bar improperly. I take my hands in narrow to tighten my upper back muscles, and bring my elbows up a bit behind me. It creates a nice groove between the posterior deltoid and the trapezius where the bar rides wonderfully. I can do supermax partials at > 2x bodyweight without any shoulder pain of any kind, and I'd imagine that I can carry any weight that my skeletal system can support equally well.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    FWIW, Stronglifts recommends low bar to get your arms more into the workout.

o_O
  • Huffdogg
    Options

Sorry for spamming your thread. Last post here from me, I promise.

1. I agree. Find the groove between deltoid and trapezius
    2. If you have deloaded the same lift twice, drop to 3x5. FWIW SS is ALWAYS 3x5, and I find it to be a superior program to SL, personally.
    3. I think you're selling yourself short, for a number of reasons. Firstly, you are way too new a lifter to be needing to drop from a periodization scheme that increases EVERY WORKOUT to something that only increases weight ONCE A MONTH. That's a huge jump. Also, people squat multiple times a week at every range of ability/experience. Smolov is a 4 day/week squat program used by very advanced powerlifters. I know an incredibly strong powerlifter that squats 5x week. And loads of people rock SS/Madcow for years, slowly gaining through medium-volume, high intensity, high FREQUENCY lifting.

Personally, I find that once/week is not enough for me on bp or squats. It'll do for deadlifts, but not the others.

If I were to make a recommendation other than SS for you, I'd say try an RPT Big 3 program like Andy Morgan's. RPT has no fixed periodization, and the number of reps per set you do and the weight you use is entirely up to you every day, so it allows you to change things up depending on how you feel on any given day without "breaking your program." I had good success with RPT for about 6 months.

Nutshell: 3 sets of each of the 3 main lifts. Use 85-90% 1RM for first set. Get as many reps as you can get good quality reps of. Drop 10% and try to get +1 rep. Drop the same amount again and try to get another +1 rep.