Calorie Guilt

Options
So far I've been doing really well. It's my seventh week and even though I've gone over a few times for nights out, I've managed to lose 16lb. However, in the last 2 weeks or so, maybe more, I've started to panic and get really guilty about getting too close to my days calorie goal. I don't know why I feel guilty, but I end up being a good 15-300+ UNDER my daily calorie allowance just to feel "safe". I also feel guilty about having nights in with my fiance or just hanging out with my mother at home and having a few nice treats and going over, even if it's only 100 calories or so. Does anyone else get this guilt?? I don't want to feel this bad about eating, especially when I'm on such a positive track with all my loss so far.

Any help or support or wise words would be more than appreciated xxx

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that even if I eat 200 calories OVER that I am still eating in a deficit, just a smaller deficit. That seems to help when I get caught up in that calorie guilt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that even if I eat 200 calories OVER that I am still eating in a deficit, just a smaller deficit. That seems to help when I get caught up in that calorie guilt.

This.

Eating under your goal might be good if you know you might be underestimating some things. And if you know you tend to go over occasionally, it all sorta evens out in the end... so I wouldn't sweat it. Just don't let you get hungry while 200 calories under goal.
  • Stasiasaurus
    Stasiasaurus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I worry less if I'm getting a good bit of exercise that day. It gives me a "safe range" where I can eat anywhere between right around my baseline allowance and the total after exercise and feel fine about it. MFP is designed to let you eat back your exercise calories and still have a calorie deficit for the day, but I don't usually eat back all of them because I've heard it tends to overestimate your exercise calories (a heart rate monitor lets you do this more accurately but I don't have one yet). I also tend to give myself a pass on special occasions, but too much of that gets me into trouble around holidays and vacations. Another thought is if you anticipate eating out for a particular meal to log it in advance (if you have access to the menu) or just make your other meals for the day smaller to give yourself some wiggle room for social occasions. You can always have a healthy snack at home at the end of the day if you're coming up way too low.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Something that has helped me quite a bit is to focus more on hitting a weekly calorie goal rather than day to day. This allows me to indulge some days and make up for it other days, so it all balances out. No guilt and not restricting EVERY day.
  • Stasiasaurus
    Stasiasaurus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh, and congrats on your progress! Stick with it and try not to stress out too much :) This is a long-term change and you don't want to start feeling burned out.
  • Rynnage89
    Rynnage89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I'm working really hard at this and have noticed a massive change already. I just worry that I'm getting a bit too obsessed with being "under" every day. I hate going over goals [daily or weekly] because I'm a rather regimented person, but maybe I will try to work towards keeping my weekly average under target and having one day where I'm a little bit freer with my food. Hopefully after I lose another 7-14lb I can add in some light exercise [I have a neurological condition affecting my muscles so I get a lot of pain on moving - exercise can be tough] and not feel so guily as I can eat back those cals when I fancy it.

Thank you all so much, you all rock!! xxx