Plateau after only 9 pounds??

Options
I know people will lose weight and then plateau for a little bit and then go back to losing weight, but how soon does that normally happen? I feel like it's been too soon for me. I started working out in Nov 2012 and I joined MFP Feb 2013. Between November and now I am only down about 9 pounds. Although I understand this is great for long term weight loss, it seems with the amount I want to lose (40 pounds), I would have lost more by now. I am 34, 5'2' (not petite), and started out at 185. I'm down to 176 and for the past three weeks my weight was 176, 176, 175.6, now this week 176 again. I know it's not weight training because I've only been a few times.

I started out doing the reg 1200 default calories and then switched to the TDEE method last month. I work out 5 times a week swimming laps, water aerobics, or brisk walking, so my TDEE + 20% put me at 1942 calories a day, which usually I ate between 1400-1700. I don't think I am eating too few calories, so today I changed it to TDEE + 30% and it put me around 1700. I'm going to try that and see how it works.

Has anyone else experienced a plateau so early in the your weight loss journey and how did you overcome it? Thanks!

Replies

• magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know that this sounds like bs but honestly, taking a break from my diet broke my plateau. I don't have much to lose and was stuck at 133 for a few weeks. When I pigged out on chocolate and stayed away from the gym for a few days,I lost 3 pounds in a few days. Have you been lifting?
  • kinggrace78
    Options
    No, I've only done weight lifting 3 times over the past few weeks.
  • Candycane777
    Options
    I know that this sounds like bs but honestly, taking a break from my diet broke my plateau. I don't have much to lose and was stuck at 133 for a few weeks. When I pigged out on chocolate and stayed away from the gym for a few days,I lost 3 pounds in a few days. Have you been lifting?

I have been stuck at 144 for weeks, had 4 days of 'big' eating last weekend, hope that starts me up again, it's very frustrating!
  • Candycane777
    Options
    I know people will lose weight and then plateau for a little bit and then go back to losing weight, but how soon does that normally happen? I feel like it's been too soon for me. I started working out in Nov 2012 and I joined MFP Feb 2013. Between November and now I am only down about 9 pounds. Although I understand this is great for long term weight loss, it seems with the amount I want to lose (40 pounds), I would have lost more by now. I am 34, 5'2' (not petite), and started out at 185. I'm down to 176 and for the past three weeks my weight was 176, 176, 175.6, now this week 176 again. I know it's not weight training because I've only been a few times.

I started out doing the reg 1200 default calories and then switched to the TDEE method last month. I work out 5 times a week swimming laps, water aerobics, or brisk walking, so my TDEE + 20% put me at 1942 calories a day, which usually I ate between 1400-1700. I don't think I am eating too few calories, so today I changed it to TDEE + 30% and it put me around 1700. I'm going to try that and see how it works.

Has anyone else experienced a plateau so early in the your weight loss journey and how did you overcome it? Thanks!

I experienced mine after about 5 weeks...and it is the exact same weight I plateaued at 2 years ago on my last weight loss challenge. I just ate a lot for 4 days, now I am back 'on'...will see how it goes. I am thinking about starting calorie cycling. I think my body is really adaptable.
  • Candycane777
    Options
    [/quote]Has anyone else experienced a plateau so early in the your weight loss journey and how did you overcome it? Thanks!

I experienced mine after about 5 weeks...and it is the exact same weight I plateaued at 2 years ago on my last weight loss challenge. I just ate a lot for 4 days, now I am back 'on'...will see how it goes. I am thinking about starting calorie cycling. I think my body is really adaptable.
    [/quote]

Okay, 3 days after my 4-day feeding frenzy - down 2 pounds(from 144 - my plateau)...I was probably at least 3000+ for 4 days(you can also find me in the binge eating group), then 1000/1200/1400 . This morning I was 143.5 and this afternoon 142. I went up to 149.5 after all that eating, then to 147, 145, 144, 142

Now I get it, It is hard to believe because it is counter-intuitive, but it happened...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think they overestimate a lot about what your activity is. Yeah I exercise 6-7 days a week, but only got 30-60 minutes, and the rest of the day I'm sitting on my butt. That definitely does not make me very active!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

TDEE +20%? Are you trying to gain weight? Or did you mean TDEE -20%?

I would select your TDEE based on moderately active modifier and then deduct 15% or 20%, but do not set your goal below your BMR. I am 5'2" tall and my BMR is 1300, but my TDEE for moderately active is just about 2000. I eat 1850 a day because I am weight training and do not care so much about losing more at this point, but burning fat to stop the jiggly stuff. I plateaued for about 3 months and then one day just dropped 4 pounds out of nowhere. I guess just stick with it and see how it goes (but make sure you are not undereating by underestimating your TDEE activity level).
  • CitrusCityGirl
    Options
    UGH!!

I know the feeling - and I have absolutely no advice, cause nothing seems to work for me.

I started my journey back in January. I have lost about 4 pounds, putting my weight at 163.4 (I am 5'8). Doesn't matter what I do - increase workout, increase/decrease calories, logging, not logging - I just can't seem to lose weight.

I HAVE (however) lost about 9 inches. To have a healthy BMI I should probably lose anywhere from 20-40 pounds. But I can't seem to move anywhere further than the 4 pounds I've already lost. Any ideas?
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I looked at your post and then looked at my own weight loss. It is absolutely normal to plateau. You need to keep changing your DIET/FITNESS profile under your settings everytime you weigh yourself.

THis changes the calories that you are allowed regularly - you plateau for less time. Overall you will lose weight. I hit maintenance after 90 days.

Good luck
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sometimes your body just wants you to be at a certain weight, and it can be 5,10, 20, 30 or more pounds from your goal. Some people just have a hard time losing weight quickly, and if you are doing everything right sometimes you just have to be patient. So mix it up a bit, keep at it, exercise some more, and you'll get through it.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    UGH!!

I know the feeling - and I have absolutely no advice, cause nothing seems to work for me.

I started my journey back in January. I have lost about 4 pounds, putting my weight at 163.4 (I am 5'8). Doesn't matter what I do - increase workout, increase/decrease calories, logging, not logging - I just can't seem to lose weight.

I HAVE (however) lost about 9 inches. To have a healthy BMI I should probably lose anywhere from 20-40 pounds. But I can't seem to move anywhere further than the 4 pounds I've already lost. Any ideas?

Be patient. 3 months is not that long of a time. Try eating less (or more) for a couple of weeks. Add in some extra workouts. Switch up your routine. You'll get there!
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    The scales aren't moving for me at the moment either. I lost about 7 pounds in 3 weeks running a 20-25% deficit and have since stalled. I figured maybe it was also the fact that I have started a heavy weights program too. Heavy in that I reach exhaustion by the last few reps of the last set not heavy in that people look at me when I am working out like I am a beast. I figured the muscle building might be what has slowed my weight loss but maybe I need to pig out for a few days...

I do like the sound of that - I have missed my pig outs!
  • Lormic98
    Lormic98 Posts: 33
    Options
    Ugh - me too. My body has given up 11 pounds and it seems it is saying to me; "that's enough - you're hungry, you need to eat more - I'm not letting go of any more". I DON'T want to give up now. I'm committed to losing more, and I know my body can spare more. BUT my mindset now is to maintain this for a whle, ride out the plateau, then be more vigilent for the next loss phase.

I noticed another response that echos mine; I work out hard four times per week, work out moderately two times per week, but I have a desk job, so am sitting down a good 8 hours a day at work, and then of course vegging on the couch in the evenings. I do get up at work and walk around up and down stairs every hour or so, and then at home do a couple of light activites, and walk the dog.

I know I need to mix it up more, vary the routine, vary the menus.

I don't have any good advice, I'm just adding my two cents worth of shared frustration. It is definitely a non-stop battle.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    Yeah, when I told the missus maybe I should gorge myself for a couple of days (eat at or slightly above my TDEE which is roughly 3000+ kcal) to try and break this slump her response was 'you are not plateauing d***head, you don't need to eat more' so I guess that isn't an option...